PDA

View Full Version : Northfield vs "The Loar"

ebeja
Jul-15-2011, 2:35am
Has anybody compared Nothfield mandolins with The Loar LM-700-VS?
Any experiences?

Glassweb
Jul-15-2011, 3:33am
I can say this much... I have played a couple of "the loar" mandolins and a northfield mandolin... all three in the f5 style. The northfield mandolin was a real player's instrument. Outstanding mandolin for the money. The "the loars" seemed like a good choice for a beginner perhaps, but not a satisfying experience compared to the northfield.

Bill Snyder
Jul-15-2011, 7:19am
I have not played either one, but I think it is worth noting that the Northfield is about 2 1/2 times the price of the The Loar LM-700-VS.

Big Joe
Jul-15-2011, 7:30am
They are not apples for apples. They are built a bit differently, and have different finishes on them. They are also miles apart in price. I have worked on both models and done setups and repairs on a couple Northfields. The Northfield is very similar to the Kentucky KM1000 in its approach. Very similar neck profile and the body reminds much of one another. The Northfield is a varnish of some kind while the LM700 is nitro lacquer. If you like larger necks you would prefer the Loar, if you like much thinner necks, then the Northfield. If you like an instrument of very good quality for 1K then the Loar. If you want one for 2.5K or more, then the Northfield. When you get into the 2K plus instruments the door gets opened a bit wider for nice instruments than it does in the 1K range. Again, the Northfields we have seen have had some minor structural issues that needed repair (that is why we saw them) but seemed like good mandolins. They are not a direct comparison to the Loar LM700 though for the reasons mentioned above. I have yet to see a Loar LM700 that was not excellent once it was set up properly.

ll144
Jul-15-2011, 10:48am
Big Joe can you go into more detail on the minor structural issues that needed repair?

Big Joe
Jul-15-2011, 11:16am
It was very minor. Some setup issues and one had a glue joint (back to rim) at the back button that had come loose. This mandolin has performed flawlessly since repair. I think the other was a back/ rim seperation at the tail block, which again, was quite simple to fix and has not been a problem since. I do like the neck profiles on the Northfields. I have not had an opportunity to spend any real time with them to see what I really think of them and how they sound. My experiences have been quite brief and had to get them back to the owners quite fast. I think they are probably pretty decent instruments and I don't think Elderly would handle them if they were not. I have talked to Adrian at Northfield a couple times. Nice people. My point in the post is that they are not the same mandolin for the same market. I don't think you would have to be afraid of any structural issues with the Northfield. Those are the only issues I've seen and that is not uncommon in any brand.

mandopaul
Jul-15-2011, 2:04pm
I can say this much... I have played a couple of "the loar" mandolins and a northfield mandolin... all three in the f5 style. The northfield mandolin was a real player's instrument. Outstanding mandolin for the money. The "the loars" seemed like a good choice for a beginner perhaps, but not a satisfying experience compared to the northfield.

Wonder why Jesse McRenolds plays The Loar 700? He might be a beginner maybe? :))

ll144
Jul-15-2011, 2:23pm
Big Joe thank you for your detailed explanation.

Glassweb
Jul-15-2011, 2:26pm
Jesse a beginner? Nah... he can play ok I guess. But if someone paid me some money to be seen with their product I might be tempted to do the same thing!

Keith Witty
Jul-15-2011, 2:27pm

You definitely did not play an LM 700 Loar. They are probably the best bang for your buck mandolin on the market. I would hold mine up to anything and it would hold its own.

Glassweb
Jul-15-2011, 5:09pm
OK Keith... I'll take it as you give it cause it's true... i haven't actually played a KM 700. When/if I do get to play one I'll check back in with you. Maybe the one I just played at the Symposium was a KM 700 but I'm not sure...

Glassweb
Jul-15-2011, 5:13pm
I just checked the "the loar" website and I guess it was the km 600 i played. I suppose you can't do any better for the money... it is true that the Northfield costs a bunch more.

Big Joe
Jul-15-2011, 10:37pm
Glassweb... Jesse does NOT get paid for playing the Loar LM700. He asked to have one because he liked Ronnie Reno's so much. Jesse, nor anyone else gets paid to be seen with, play, or own their mandolins. Jesse has far more class, dignity, and ethics than to sell his name for a mandolin at any price.

Glassweb
Jul-15-2011, 11:27pm
Look, I don't care who plays what or gets paid or doesn't etc etc etc... all I'm saying is that I've played both the Northfield F5 mandolin and a "The Loar" F5 mandolin and that, to my ears, the Northfield kicked ass. That's one person's hands-on opinion. You can all be sure that I have no interest in either company. Jesse is a hero to me and if he chooses to play a "The Loar" than he must feel it's a killer mandolin.

ebeja
Jul-16-2011, 2:08am
Thanks all for input - this thread is getting more and more interesting - please continue!

almeriastrings
Jul-16-2011, 6:27am
Purely hypothetical question. If - for the sake of argument - "The Loar's" and the "Northfield's" are THAT good. Does that mean all independent mandolin luthiers should urgently retrain as box packers in the local cheese factory (or whatever?).

Second hypothetical question. If they are that phenomenal, as they are so fond of saying in adverts "why pay more"? Is this goodbye to the $5K-25K new mandolin market? What are you getting when you pay more?

Answers on the back of a post card....

Confession: I have only seen one "The Loar" LM700 and I was extremely impressed. I have never seen a Northfield (but would probably also be impressed, going by reports). I do have a number of mandolins in the $4-10K bracket, and a couple of Kentucky's from a KM505 to a KM1000. The former is very decent and the latter really quite nice. As good as the best of my luthier-built instruments, no... but very acceptable.

Big Joe
Jul-16-2011, 8:30am
Certainly this does not defeat the purpose of the custom builder. There is always a place in the market for each or any of the different builders, whether factory, pac-rim, or individual or small shop. They each bring something different to the table. The introductory level player has had a number of products of reasonable quality, but limited growth potential for many years. The problem was the next step up was a BIG step and many were not capable or found value in attempting to upgrade and never achieved the goals they had when they began playing.

Now you can either start with an introductory, then move to a moderate priced mid level mandolin that can carry you as far as you wish for a modest sum (1K or less) and have a very nice instrument. You can also start with that instrument, find it easier to play and sounds better and can save you a step or two in the growth process. One can always move up if they wish, but don't have to. The steps are not always that far apart anymore. We have options that were not readily available even 20 years ago in terms of quality and availability of the mandolin.

Some of the better budget priced mandolins are very good instruments for the money. They offer much more bang for the buck than was available not long ago and this helps the entire mandolin community. The players can improve faster, go farther, and enjoy the ride with a bit more ease. Just as the availability of information pertinent to the mandolin is available, so are the instruments now. The better access does not eliminate any spectrum of the market, but rather drives it.

McDonald's has a good number of restaurants, but it seems Hardees loves being right across the street and Wendy's next door to one of them if they can. KFC is usually right in the mix and so is Taco Bell. They have learned that business increases for all of them if they are there to offer options. The same is true in the mandolin world.

"The Loar" is an excellent product and is highly underpriced for the value one receives. It offers a certain set of models at a low price point. They are excellent mandolins ... not just for the money ... they are excellent mandolins in spite of the money. For the price there is nothing to compare to these. However, they are not the same as the Northfield. The "Northfield" is also an excellent mandolin and offers a different set of items in how they build and present themselves. When you consider what you get for the money, they too are an excellent buy. You cannot buy and American made, quality mandolin with a varnish finish for the same price you can a Northfield. If you were to purchase an American made mandolin with the same feature as the Northfield you would pay substantially more for that instrument. I know I can't build one for that price.

The reason people buy a particular brand or model is as long as the list of builders and models. No one could provide enough for the entire mandolin world in hand built, quality instruments. The Loar certainly cannot build that many and I understand Northfield has a good backorder list as well. There is a reason these mandolins are a bit hard to get. They are high quality values for the price point they serve. I love the Loar mandolins in that price point and so do a lot of others from beginners to top pros. Still, I played a Stanley the other day that was incredible! We did a refret on a Gilchrist A model that was as sweet as good sugar cane. We worked on a Master Model that was as good as it gets. I would love to have any of these. They are great. They each serve a different purpose and meet differing needs of the owners.

A couple people who play the "The Loars" have real Lloyd Loars at home or in the safe. They love the original, but love the modern because they can carry a 1K mandolin that servers their needs for tone and playability on the road without risking damage to the 250K mandolin at home or in their safe. They like each for different reasons. The ability to have choices is what this is all about. The day of having only two levels ... introductory or rather junky mandolins or pro models out of reach financially for a good many players is over. When I started that was about all we had for choices. It was a BIG jump from one to the other and you could get several good guitars for the price of one mandolin. Thankfully those days are over.

You can chose any level or price point of mandolin you wish to serve you wishes and needs. That means there is plenty of room for all the builders at all price points. I still play my American made mandolin ... and yes, it was a very small builder. He has only built 6 to date and it is a wonderful mandolin. That does not mean I would not like one of the Loar or Northfields as well. Like most of you, I love mandolins!

P.D. Kirby
Jul-16-2011, 8:52am
I have played both and think they are fine Mandolins. I believe they rival Mandolins costing thousands more when it comes to tone and playability. As far as cosmetics, sure the 8 to 10k Mandolins have a more detail oriented finish but one would expect that. Is it worth all that money to have a better finish? That is a question that only the individual buying the Mandolin can answer as it is subjective in nature. As a working Bluegrass musician I have access to several high dollar Mandolins but I choose to play a Loar LM400. For me it's as much of a business decision as it is a personal preference. If I can entertain the audience with the Loar or a Northfield or even a KM 1000 then from a overhead approach it is in my best interest to go with the most inexpensive instrument I can. I often wonder why anyone would pay the thousands more unless they are preforming at a level where the income justify's the purchase. By my estimation a very high percentage of the folks that participate here play for their own entertainment or maybe for family and friends. These are the players that gain the most by having an exceptional Mandolin available for the 1k to 2k price point. This is one of two threads currently running that if I were only playing for my own satisfaction I would be very worried that my Wife might read had I convinced her that the 8k Gibson I have was necessary because you can't get that kind of tone from an inexpensive Mandolin. I bet there are a lot of people thinking the same thing.

dcoventry
Jul-16-2011, 9:42am
"This is one of two threads currently running that if I were only playing for my own satisfaction I would be very worried that my Wife might read had I convinced her that the 8k Gibson I have was necessary because you can't get that kind of tone from an inexpensive Mandolin. I bet there are a lot of people thinking the same thing. ""

An excellent point. I must say that I had a LM700 for 2 or so weeks and returned because it just wasn't what I was looking for in a few different ways. It was truly an excellent mandolin, and if I had kept it, I'm sure I would have grown into learning to get out of it what I could. But that's the thing, I was searching for that sound I heard in my head, and the 700 was great, but not it. The G5 was it. Yes, it was more money, but I really did get exactly what I wanted/needed/dreamed for in the tone and playability.

All that being said, I'm pretty sure I will buy another LM700 for my oldest son to play and then steal it from him.

Fretbear
Jul-16-2011, 10:09am
The important point with these type of instruments is that a person can now come away with a fine mandolin (one they can learn on and then keep forever if they wanted or needed to) for around a thousand bucks or so. Like Joe said, it used to be trash or treasure.