PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin in Glacier Park

Psyberbilly
Jul-14-2011, 9:38pm
7437074371A week ago near Glacier Park at a spot called the " Goat Lick " ( a place where mountain goats congregate to lick minerals from the bank of the middle fork of the flathead river ) my girlfriend and I thought it would be funny to take a pic of me with my travel Epiphone in front of the sign for a friend of mine nicknamed "Goat " and send it to him titled "Mandolin Pickin' Where The Goats Are Lickin' . I pulled it out of the case , and a guy about my age walks up and says " Play sumthin " so i played a little of Lonesome Moonlight Waltz . There was a young lady with him , maybe a daughter or neice ,and he asks " Can she see it ? " so I hand it to her and she procedes to whip out a tune , I believe she said it was called Jumping The Fence . She could really play ! Didn't get a name , or even where they were from, but she said she was a Cafe Member , so I figured i would post a few pix . Hope maybe she or one of her friends will see it . Anyway , just goes to show you never know when or where youl will meet another mandolin picker !

Russ Jordan
Jul-15-2011, 3:58pm
Here I am playing mandolin on a cool evening at Glacier in July 2010.

What a place!

Steve-o
Jul-15-2011, 5:32pm
...Anyway , just goes to show you never know when or where youl will meet another mandolin picker !

Cool story, and maybe a statement about the growing popularity of our 8-stringed muse.

Mark Walker
Jul-18-2011, 9:00am
Hopefully the young mystery mandolin-pickin' gal will chime in and enlighten all of us!

Cool story!

My wife and I once vacationed in Fayette State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's a historically accurate restoration of an 1800's iron-smelting town, and includes the original harbor - where 'boat campers' can put in and stay as well as those of us with RV's.
There was a period 3-mast sailing ship visiting for a week, and in the evenings one of the crew would break out a concertina. The concertina player and I got to chatting one evening, and as I had my 'campfire' A-style mandolin with me at our camper, he invited me to grab it and join him. It was pretty cool sitting on that old ship in the habor amidst the dark buildings from the 1800's playing old sea ditties like 'Sailor's Hornpipe' and other old tunes like Irish Washerwoman, Scotland the Brae, and so on. Almost ethereal! :)

Alas, no photos taken by my wife!

billkilpatrick
Jul-18-2011, 9:22am
synchronicity ... serendipity - little pools of good fortune out there somewhere, just waiting for you to come along

Psyberbilly
Jul-20-2011, 4:24pm
Hopefully the young mystery mandolin-pickin' gal will chime in and enlighten all of us!

Cool story!

My wife and I once vacationed in Fayette State Park in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. It's a historically accurate restoration of an 1800's iron-smelting town, and includes the original harbor - where 'boat campers' can put in and stay as well as those of us with RV's.
There was a period 3-mast sailing ship visiting for a week, and in the evenings one of the crew would break out a concertina. The concertina player and I got to chatting one evening, and as I had my 'campfire' A-style mandolin with me at our camper, he invited me to grab it and join him. It was pretty cool sitting on that old ship in the habor amidst the dark buildings from the 1800's playing old sea ditties like 'Sailor's Hornpipe' and other old tunes like Irish Washerwoman, Scotland the Brae, and so on. Almost ethereal! :)

Alas, no photos taken by my wife!

I would be willing to bet that their are images seared into your mind like it was yesterday ! Great story , especially for an old re-enactor and history buff like me !