PDA

View Full Version : Info on Gibson A-O mandolin

Perryman
Jul-14-2011, 3:13pm
Just saw a used Gibson mandolin at a local music store....A -style,F-holes,dark reddish- brown matte finish....all I can see on the interior label that might identify the model is letters A-O or A-0 ... looks relatively new;they say it's used,but are otherwise coy...they want $1900.00....on Gibson's site,there is no mention of this model;the only one that looks very similar is called Jazzman[or something like that].....can anyone enlighten me as to it's quality,IE: is it worth the price?....it plays well and has good tone and volume,to my ears...I only have my old Moon oval-hole {$900.00 } to compare it with;am just now seriously trying to learn properly...advice appreciated...thanks....

Capt. E
Jul-14-2011, 3:51pm
Let me chime in with my relatively modest knowledge of Gibson mandolins. The Gibson model A-0 was first made in the latter 1930's. The model number disappeared with the appearance of the A-40 and A-50 in the 1940's. These are usually very nice mandolins, but since yours looks like new, it has either spent its life under a bed unplayed for the most part or it has been re-finished etc. It may be worth every penny of the $1900.

Post some photos and other more knowledgeable members can give a more definitive opinion.

mrmando
Jul-14-2011, 4:50pm
The A0 was introduced in 1928 and replaced the A-Jr. For the first few years of production it had an oval soundhole. One with F-holes would have been made later -- likely in the '30s as Capt. E says. If indeed it's an A-0 from the '30s, $1900 is far too much to be asking for it. We'd really need to see some photos. If it looks like a Jam Master, as you say, then it's possible that it's a recent A9, not a vintage A0. The A9 is available new for around $2300, so $1900 would save you a bit of cash, but there are probably better deals to be had.

allenhopkins
Jul-14-2011, 9:29pm
A-0 was apparently made 1927-34, with an oval soundhole. The A-00 replaced it; flat back, oval soundhole nearly immediately changed to f-holes, carved back as of 1936. Discontinued 1943.

There are no recent A-0's, as far as I know. If it's recent, matte finish, f-holes, brown non-sunburst -- sounds like either a pre-sunburst A-9, or a Jam Master.

journeybear
Jul-15-2011, 12:08am
I have an A-00, tentatively dated 1935, discussed on this thread (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?46719) three years ago; the model also got discussed a bit on this thread. (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?51196) I paid a little more than $500 for mine, even with a couple of serious cracks in the back, because I was in a bind after my F-12 was stolen. It's an OK instrument, and it got me through a season's worth of gigs, but $1900 is a bit steep. It has a flat back and a pretty thin sound. Considering I found a decent 1917 soon thereafter for half of what they are asking for that, I suggest you keep an eye on ebay for something along those lines. My 2¢ - YMMV ;)

The matte finish has me puzzled though. I thought that was a more recent development, not found on vintage instruments. I am inclined to think it's an A-9. Compare with mine - the headstock logo is a dead giveaway. Go back, take another look, take a photo and upload it, you'll have an answer lickety-split. :)

Perryman
Jul-15-2011, 12:15pm
Many thanks to Alan Hopkins,Capt.E,journeybear and mrmando for your replies and help on my request for Gibson mando information....determined it is an A9,fairly recent...have found the original selling price and some specs...much appreciated