PDA

View Full Version : Hilburn #56

Jim Hilburn
Jul-12-2011, 4:50pm
My first hand applied sunburst (with a little help from my detail gun) and second french polish. It was ordered with a 1 3/16" nut.

Scotti Adams
Jul-12-2011, 4:52pm
Simply stunning Jim....great work as usual :0)

Jill McAuley
Jul-12-2011, 5:08pm
Pure class - that is a looker!

Cheers,
Jill

sunburst
Jul-12-2011, 5:08pm
First rubbed 'burst, huh? :crying:

Ed Goist
Jul-12-2011, 5:43pm
Spectacular, Jim, just spectacular!

Max Girouard
Jul-12-2011, 6:46pm
Wow!!!! That looks amazing!

pjlama
Jul-12-2011, 7:01pm
Wow, looks great!

Tavy
Jul-13-2011, 3:16am
Beautiful, I'd hate to see what you'll produce once you get some more practice in on those 'bursts ;)

P Josey
Jul-13-2011, 12:00pm
Nice....

Glassweb
Jul-13-2011, 12:26pm
i'll take it!

Skip Kelley
Jul-13-2011, 1:24pm
Jim, that mandolin is classy! Doesn't get any better!

amowry
Jul-13-2011, 2:06pm
Looks like it came out great, Jim! Nice work.

Don Grieser
Jul-13-2011, 2:57pm
Beautiful!

testore
Jul-16-2011, 10:38am
WOW, How did I miss this one? INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!

Kirk Albrecht
Jul-18-2011, 4:27pm
Yum yum. Wonderful shading, Jim. Really beautiful work.

Jim Hilburn
Jul-20-2011, 9:18pm
So I've had the stars align for me with this mandolin.
I had the honor of playing on a couple of CD projects with some friends and bandmates at Coupe Studio's, Boulder's premier recording studio. The engineer is John McVey, really more of a magician masquerading as an engineer.
I happened to be playing my octave on a tune and he was fairly impressed with it and that I had made it. As the story unfolded that I was a builder I mentioned that I had audio tracks on my website that were recorded on my handheld recorder he was pretty appalled, to the point that he offered to give me an hour.
So along came #56 and I must say it doesn't suck. I also have the pleasure of knowing some of Boulder's best players and one of them is Rich Zimmerman, currently playing with Finnders and Youngberg. (Please, check them out!) Rich has one of those legendary Nugget's but he also has a way of getting a great tone and feel with anything he plays. In the early 2000's he played in a band called Slipstream with Brad Murphey on guitar and Paul Watinas on bass. At first I was going to try to back Rich up on guitar but I asked if he ever saw Murph anymore and he said he could probably get him to join in.
So the stars aligned this afternoon when Rich and Murph came to Coupe and John recorded a couple of tunes they had been working on. Rich is on #56 and Murph played my dread I made in '98.
Enough talk, here's the tunes.

GKWilson
Jul-20-2011, 10:43pm
Amazing sound Jim. #56 is another winner.

Tavy
Jul-21-2011, 4:03am
Beautiful instruments beatifully played! Way to go Jim :)

Andy Miller
Jul-21-2011, 10:17am
Wow, those guys are really good. And well-equipped.

Jill McAuley
Jul-21-2011, 10:36am
Sounds awesome!

Cheers,
Jill

Don Grieser
Jul-21-2011, 12:04pm
Sounds fabulous, Jim--really wonderful full tone everywhere.

Brings back fond memories of picking with Murph and Rich at the early RockyGrass Academies and festivals. Those guys can play.

Jim Hilburn
Jul-21-2011, 12:35pm
I should have mentioned the names of the tunes.
The first is "Red Prairie Dawn". I'm not sure of the origins of it though.
The other is "The Village Road" and I think that's a Matt Flinner tune.

grassrootphilosopher
Jul-21-2011, 12:36pm
My first hand applied sunburst (with a little help from my detail gun) and second french polish. It was ordered with a 1 3/16" nut.

So I've had the stars align for me with this mandolin.
I had the honor of playing on a couple of CD projects with some friends and bandmates at Coupe Studio's, Boulder's premier recording studio. The engineer is John McVey, really more of a magician masquerading as an engineer.
I happened to be playing my octave on a tune and he was fairly impressed with it and that I had made it. As the story unfolded that I was a builder I mentioned that I had audio tracks on my website that were recorded on my handheld recorder he was pretty appalled, to the point that he offered to give me an hour.
So along came #56 and I must say it doesn't suck. I also have the pleasure of knowing some of Boulder's best players and one of them is Rich Zimmerman, currently playing with Finnders and Youngberg. (Please, check them out!) Rich has one of those legendary Nugget's but he also has a way of getting a great tone and feel with anything he plays. In the early 2000's he played in a band called Slipstream with Brad Murphey on guitar and Paul Watinas on bass. At first I was going to try to back Rich up on guitar but I asked if he ever saw Murph anymore and he said he could probably get him to join in.
So the stars aligned this afternoon when Rich and Murph came to Coupe and John recorded a couple of tunes they had been working on. Rich is on #56 and Murph played my dread I made in '98.
Enough talk, here's the tunes.

To quote an old disco hit:"Thatīs the way aha, aha, I like it!"

Very nice aesthetics and sound! Chapeau!

Rick Albertson
Aug-14-2011, 11:02am
Jim's #56 is now posted on his website along with sound clips.

http://www.hilburnmandolins.com/gallery56.html