PDA

View Full Version : Grady @ Gibson

Nik-chick
Feb-17-2004, 4:55pm
I saw a mandolin at Gibson Bluegrass Showcase. The headstock just said "Grady" and it was signed on the label; unfortunately, I forgot the full name it was signed with. I tried to look for another mandolin online with that name on the headstock, and that one was listed as a "Grady Jones."

It was a really nice mandolin that I could certainly see being worth the $2500 price tag (tho I certainly don't have that). Anyone know who this is and what his affiliation with Gibson is (because they don't sell any ole thing there, afterall)? I may be answering my own question since I'm on my way to Nashvegas this evening.

I may not be able to afford one, but I can certainly see going for a visit. No harm in that (esp since if I ever come up with that kind of money in a few years and they have one like it they may just sell one).

BigJoe
Feb-17-2004, 11:48pm
Hey Nik Chick! The Grady at the Opry Mills Showcase is from Grady Jones in Michigan. It is a trade in. He has no affiliation with Gibson except being a friend and a really great guy. When you get there, be sure to say hi and play till your hearts content. It is a great mandolin with an oval hole. It sounds very much like an old F4 with a long scale fingerboard for easier playing. Great tone and great workmanship.

bud
Feb-18-2004, 9:19pm
That is one nice mandolin, I've played it a couple of times.

Nik-chick
Feb-19-2004, 1:59am
I did make my second visit to it the other day. Short of selling my soul, there's no way I could afford it, but it's nice to visit until someone buys it. (Actually, my evening class was canceled Tuesday, so I spent a good part of the evening there.)

I am really interested in a Grady Jones if I can come up with the money one day tho. Where would you normally find one? Is each one completely unique or is there a chance he might build one similar to this in the future (yes, I know being hand built it won't be identical)?

BigJoe: Could you give me a heads-up when it's sold so I don't go by expecting to see it?

pathfinder
Feb-19-2004, 2:08am
I played two of his at Elderly last summer. #Beautiful workmanship and great sound. #But as I recall, neither one had a trussrod. #Any particular reason he doesn't put them in?

250sc
Feb-19-2004, 7:50am
I played on last Monday and noticed the neck was real thick (from the top of the fingerboard to the back of the neck). This could be the reason the truss rod isn't used.

In my opinion the thick neck felt great to play.

jacobw
Feb-19-2004, 8:34am
I'm auditioning (on violin) at Belmont University in Nashville this coming weekend, and will probably spend a good time of my extra time at the Gibson Showcase. #My friend and I hope to get a chance to pick on a few insruments and say hi to BigJoe and Charlie.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Big Joe
Feb-19-2004, 10:16am
Hey Nick Chick...if you pm me I can get you some info.

Jacobw...it would be great to see you. Just ask for me when you get here. If I'm available I'll be happy to step out and say hi.