PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts/Opinions About Grey Eagle Mandolins?

MJ1619
Jul-08-2011, 4:45pm
Hey Everybody,

I was just wondering who here owns or has played Skip Peyre's Grey Eagle mandolins. There are a few previous threads that show up in the search but I thought that I would put this question out there again since most of those threads are a few years back. The instruments certainly look and sound great (from the few clips that I have heard - not the best way to judge instrument sound, but even so).

Thanks and all the best,

Michael

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-09-2011, 1:07am
I believe that the great Canadian Fiddle / Mandolin player Ray Legere plays a Grey Eagle Mandolin - the pic.is from Ray's 'home page'.
If it's the Mandolin i've heard on his recordings,then personally,i think it sounds terrific,
Ivan74167

PS - The attached link is to a YouTube clip of a guy playing a Grey Eagle Mandolin.
http://youtu.be/siBhV4416eQ It sounds good to me !.

MJ1619
Jul-09-2011, 11:23am
Ivan,

Thanks for the reply. I'll make sure to check out Ray Legere's website and recordings. Also, early on I found the YouTube link that you suggested, which is one of the reasons I really became interested in the Grey Eagle instruments. I, too, personally think they sound great.

All the best,

Michael

x_purposes
Jul-09-2011, 7:23pm
I am the proud owner of #37. It is a not a good mandolin ... IT IS A GREAT MANDOLIN! It is a custom redish brown handrub finish. Skip is a great Luthier and has become a good friend. His mandolins are getting more and more placement. Dell Reno, Jason (the mandolin player for Jr Sisk), Jesse (mando player for James King) and Travis Chandler (Avery County Band) are all Grey Eagle players. Skip also build guitars.

fatt-dad
Jul-09-2011, 9:11pm
Skip makes great mandolins!

f-d

Ivan Kelsall
Jul-10-2011, 2:22am
Jeeeez x_p "It is a not a good mandolin" - I had to do a double take on that !!!. I'm pleased to hear that the Grey Eagle instruments are gaining popularity,
Ivan

Kbone
Jul-10-2011, 7:27pm
Love his mandos, have an a model on order right now, his name is getting out there with some touring professional' using his mandolins now..

MJ1619
Jul-11-2011, 11:15pm
Hey Everybody,

Thanks for the replies. First of all, x_p, the first half line of your reply scared the living daylights out of me - until I read the second part. It certainly sounds like Skip's instruments are getting rave reviews and I have no doubt the praise is more than justified. Now, just to make some decisions about options and the like and to finish saving up the deposit.

Kbone, good luck with your order. Let me know how it turns out.

Thanks,

Michael

Skip Kelley
Jul-12-2011, 8:49am
I have heard recordings of several of Skip's mandolins and they are awesome! I have spoken with him a few times on the phone and he is a great guy. They don't get any better than Skip! Good luck!