PDA

View Full Version : Song project for December

Nov-12-2004, 6:47pm
Perhaps, Greensleeves, God rest ye merry gentleman, or for those who do not celebrate christmas, maybe everyone just choosing a holiday favorite.

ShaneJ
Nov-12-2004, 7:19pm
Silent Night is a good one for mando

JGWoods
Nov-13-2004, 12:21pm
I agree with Dem-
how about everyone pick a Christmas Carol- or other holiday song of their choosing- and post it.
best
jgwoods

Michael H Geimer
Nov-13-2004, 1:11pm
I like the idea of choosing different stuff, or rather ... of each of us bringing a 'gift' to the project.

Nov-13-2004, 3:45pm
YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE COOL? IF SOMEHOW EACH OF US COULD LEARN AND RECORD A HOLIDAY SONG, SUBMIT THEM. THEN SCOTT T WOULD CHOOSE A FEW AND PUT THEM ON A MANDOLIN CAFE MEMBER HOLODAY CD. THEN TO SELL THEM AND DONATE THE MONEY TO WHATEVER CAUSE THAT HE CHOOSES. AND TO POST HERE ON THE CAFE A LITTLE BIO OF EACH OF THE ARTIST FEATURED ON THE HOLIDAY CD.

fmspinc
Nov-14-2004, 10:35am
Good idea .. and good ideas should always BE IN CAPS

levin4now
Nov-15-2004, 10:58am
yeah, how about we just submit a Christmas song? It would be great to hear teh variety of ideas and takes....

Alan

PS mine, of course will be quite predictable as always. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Mandobar
Nov-16-2004, 5:24am
a cd project would have to be planned months in advance of the holiday in order to get the cds out the door in time. i think posting a holiday tune is probably easier.

AlanN
Nov-16-2004, 6:25am
Yes, there are so many lovely melodies

Carol of the Bells
Sleigh Ride
The Christmas Song

sjusk
Nov-16-2004, 5:36pm
Hey Craig, your project is turning into a veritable anarchist hotbed!!

I just saw some alternatives popping up here, suggesting we all did whatever Cristmas song we want. And at the same time I got aware you´ve listed a bunch of songs for December, and now I just wonder: What will it be?
As a fairly democratic person (don´t ask my wife) I ask everybody: Now what? Craig started this whole project, and has put up tons of good songs for vote, and now the people is trying to take over, which of course is always good. (According to a few learned scholars and some communist fathers)
But is it fair, at least without a discussion?

The idea of each one doing their own choice of Cristmas song is really great, and I´d love to do a Danish Christmas song, and Susi could do a Swedish and soforth, and this could be a rich month for all #

Well of course, it´s not a big issue, and I don´t see it as a problem, since this project has a wide tolerance, and would let anybody upload any old Christmas song in Misc. Musings.
BUT. It would be nice if we all agreed what to do.

After all, it is Christmas. (Soon)

Nov-17-2004, 12:43am
Well ladies and gents what should we do for this point?

craig
Nov-18-2004, 7:51pm
well all,

i had just finished the poll for december and then checked the message board to find out that a christmas song had been suggested. so, i left the poll up as is. but, if you all start submitting different christmas tunes instead of a single variation of the tune we have selected, i'll have to permanently ban you from this group.

just joking! actually, i think the idea of different tunes is a great one! so, let's stick with the poll for now. but, if come december different recording start rolling in, i'll just put them all in the december box as "christmas tunes" rather than a single tune for the month. how does that sound?

happy pickin'

craig

fiddlegit
Nov-19-2004, 6:26am
Sounds good to me! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

MandoJimbo
Nov-26-2004, 9:24am
sjusk,
I love the idea of learning a Danish Song and a Swedish tune..

fiddlegit
Dec-01-2004, 4:17am
Well, God rest ye merry gentleman got the vote by a whisker. I'll have a go at learning it, but I think Craig said we needn't be restricted to one tune, so if it doesn't go well I'll do the one I voted for as I already know it! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bluegrasstjej
Dec-01-2004, 2:32pm
YES!! YES!!! For once, my favorite won!! I'm actually learning it anyway because my boyfriend and I are going to play Christmas music for my patients before I start working on Christmas Eve and I want to do this song there.

Dave Hicks
Dec-12-2004, 12:57pm
I'm surprised to see that I'm the first to post God Rest Ye. Well, it's... an atmospheric version, at least.

D.H.

StingerT125
Dec-12-2004, 3:03pm
Dave - yours sounds good.

I just uploaded mine.

Now I have to find some time to catch up on the rest of the monthly tunes. I may do a few more holiday tunes too.

Mike Buesseler
Dec-12-2004, 5:36pm
Stinger, I loved your GRYMG! I love the full sound you got. Can't find D. Hick's version....what am I missing?

Dave Hicks
Dec-13-2004, 7:22am
Thanks, Stinger. Nice version you put together - 2 mandos?
Mike - mine is in the same folder as Stinger's, at the Yahoo site.

D.H.

sjusk
Dec-13-2004, 8:51am
Stinger and Dave,
I like your GRYMGs.
Lots of spirit in both, what a start for this month´s uploads!

I seem to have to some serious trouble uploading, and don´t know when I´ll be able to contribute again.

At least I can lean back and enjoy meanwhile.

Søren

craig
Dec-13-2004, 12:36pm
sjusk,

if you're having trouble uploading to Yahoo!Groups, please e-mail it to me. my mailbox is big enough.

also, please explain whatever trouble you are having

craig

sjusk
Dec-13-2004, 1:09pm
I don´t know why I can´t upload any longer. For the last 4 weeks or so, it just takes me to that white page saying "This page can´t be viewed". (I don´t know if that´s what you see in English, but this is how it translates from Danish. It´s that message you get when you can´t retrieve a web-page).

When I hit the "upload" button, the little blue bar moves from left to right, and everything looks okay, and then...

Thanks for your offer about emailing; I just have to do that.

Søren

craig
Dec-13-2004, 2:24pm
sjusk,

if you are trying to upload using the feature i had previously offered on the Mandolin Project (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com) mainpage, it has been disabled. but, you can still upload at the Yahoo! Groups (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject/) page. you shouldn't be having any trouble with that.

otherwise, just e-mail it to me: drchenson@yahoo.com

cheers,

craig

sjusk
Dec-13-2004, 3:17pm
craig,

I am using the good old yahoo groups upload, and it just won´t work. I have used several times as you know, but for now the party is over.

I´ll email you once I have something to put up.

Thanks
Søren

StingerT125
Dec-13-2004, 7:40pm
Thanks, Stinger. #Nice version you put together - 2 mandos? #
Mike - mine is in the same folder as Stinger's, at the Yahoo site.

D.H.

D.H. - Just 1 mando and 1 guitar.

-Bob

Bluegrasstjej
Dec-14-2004, 10:46am
Very nice versions, guys!!! I'll try to put something together too. I'm working all the Christmas and won't see my folks at all...only my boyfriend on Christmas Eve. So I think I'll feel quite lonely when I'm not at work, I'll play the mandolin instead.

fiddlegit
Dec-18-2004, 10:30am
I've just uploaded my Christmas tunes, hope you enjoy them! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks to Dave and Stinger for your enjoyable renditions, I hope there are more to come!

Merry Christmas to all project members. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

sjusk
Dec-18-2004, 5:25pm
You put me in the Christmas mood, Roger.
I have never heard GRYMG before (apart from Stinger´s and Dave´s versions of course), so it doesn´t mean a lot of Christmas to me, but "Silent Night" does. I guess that tune is a worldwide Christmas "messenger".
And it´s so right on a violin.

Thanks Roger.

Søren

fiddlegit
Dec-19-2004, 9:15am
Søren, I'm glad to have helped put you in festive mood. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

I've just uploaded an unaccomanied version of Silent Night just in case the other one wasn't long enough for you. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

sjusk
Dec-19-2004, 12:43pm
Oh, you melted my heart.
The sound of your mellow and lonely fiddle from a good old British back porch is simply great!
You know I love fiddle - !!!
And you just h a v e to put in a little oldtimish flavour in the second time around - I love it!

Merry Christmas, Roger!
And thanks mate.

Søren

PS: I still hope to get around recording a wee Christmas tune to upload.

sjusk
Dec-22-2004, 5:02am
With craig´s help I just made it, and have put my contribution on the Mandolin Project site.

It´s a tune called "Nu er det jul igen", which translates into: "It´s Christmas again".

This song is known all over Scandinavia, right Susi? I bet you know it too. I know my Norwegian cousins do.

I took the liberty to invite our local man´s choir, "Morgenrøden" to assist me on the second part round. I don´t know how well that turned out; they´re very focused on Christmas brew these days.

Merry Christmas to you all!!!!

Søren

picksnbits
Dec-22-2004, 8:26am
Søren - I love it! Merry gentlemen indeed.

Bluegrasstjej
Dec-22-2004, 5:48pm
Wonderful, Sören!! Just wonderful!! And yes, I do know that song. Very nicely done. Christmas indeed.

sjusk
Dec-23-2004, 5:38pm
Hey picksnbits and b-tjej, thanks. I tell you, I really tried to keep those guys away from my little private recording session, but they just FORCED this invitiation out of me...hmmmm...

(I´m really glad I didn´t put up the version where the members of the man´s choir got in to a fight, the police turned up, my computer caught fire and the mrs. announced she wanted a divorce!!!)

fiddlegit
Dec-27-2004, 4:47am
There are a couple more very enjoyable Christmas tunes uploaded to the site.

Just thought I'd let you know as they seem to be too modest to anounce it themselves!

picksnbits
Dec-27-2004, 8:23am
I just posted one to Yahoo. My 6-year old is accompanying me on piano. I had to record it on my company-provided laptop, MS sound recorder cut us off at 60 seconds and the quality isn't all that great, but I thought I'd let you guys hear it anyway.

sjusk
Dec-30-2004, 4:50am
Your 6 year old is just smashing! It´s a beautiful duet, and it all stays in the family. Impressive!

Happy New Year!!
Søren