PDA

View Full Version : uncommon ritual

wannabethile
Feb-17-2004, 3:02pm
i just picked up the album "uncommon ritual" with edgar meyer, mike marshall, and bela fleck. man, it is so impressive!! i was blown away, i didnt know what part of the message board to post this in, but i had to share it with someone, haha. is there anyone else out there that has this cd? what did you think of it?

Tom C
Feb-17-2004, 3:10pm
I love it. There are not many bass players I go out of my way to watch perform. But Edgar is just amazing. No wonder he's won fiddle contests playing that double fiddle.

Hondo
Feb-17-2004, 3:47pm
Yeah, Edgar Meyer is amazing. I particularly like "Sliding Down," on which each member of the trio plays two or three instruments - Edgar starts out on piano, and slides over to bass, of course, and I think maybe even mandola? I saw them do this on PBS. Great fun.

If you haven't heard Short Trip Home (Edgar, Mike Marshall, Sam Bush and Joshua Bell) and/or Strength in Numbers (Edgar, Mark O'Connor, Bela Fleck, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas), you simply must.

grsnovi
Feb-24-2004, 11:54am
I picked up UR over the weekend and it reminds me (in places) of Nordic "roots" music - specifically instrumentals by Hedningarna.

weathermandolin
Feb-24-2004, 1:54pm
I ordered this CD a few days ago. From the brief online clips, it sounds excellent. I agree with Hondo that Strength in Numbers is a must have. I'll have to check Short Trip Home out.

Jason

spud
Feb-27-2004, 9:45pm
"Uncommon Ritual" has been in my deck for a few weeks...A classic!

I am working on "Sliding Down" with a couple of other people..No Bass yet..Gotta have the Bass!!

I fall out of the chair every time I listen to ""The Big Cheese"

I generally lose A couple of hour's when I start listening to Ritual/
Short Trip!...alot going on to try to replicate...where do you start?

------------
Boyd

AussieRoger
Feb-28-2004, 6:28am
Uncommon Ritual is my fave album. Well, actually it's a tie with Tales From The Acoustic Planet (Vol 1) by Béla. Not All Who Wander Are Lost is my third favorite! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Jim Garber
Feb-28-2004, 8:00am
Pardon my ignorance about this CD, but I was under the impression that in general these folks play music that is closer to jazz. Just curious about what we are talking about here.

Jim

grsnovi
Feb-28-2004, 6:51pm
I'd say that its music...

...its hard to classify as a lot of it was written by Meyer.

Some of it is "jazzy" sounding classical. How do you get Bela Fleck pegged to a style?

Meyer's bowed bass adds a dimension to the stuff that makes it hard to classify (certainly makes it hard for me to classify).

weathermandolin
Feb-29-2004, 12:18am
Just came in the mail today. I'm listening to it now and really like what I hear! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif