PDA

View Full Version : Rock

Baloo
Nov-12-2004, 8:43am
hello

I am very interested in playing a different style of mandolin. I was a big fan of Chris Thile and always played the mandolin very, uh, flity I guess, ya know how he always made is sound very good on the high end in his early days? well thats how I played it and thought that was the only way to play it, also, to be like him, I concentraated on playing fast and not playing with emotion, but now after taking about a year and a half long break from my first love (mandolin) I am interested in it again.

I like all kinds of music. mostly groups like Smashmouth, dashboard confessional, blues traveler, John Mayer, Stevie Ray Vaughn. I dont like the plinkity sound of the mandolin with most of these genres, so I try to focus on D and G strings for a more bass tone, but that limits me. I am trying to develop my own style now and realize that just playing fast will not do.

(Thanks for reading all this) I guess the question is really two.

1. I am in the market for a mandolin. What would be effective for the genres and does it need to be amplified, even distorted?

2. any tips on how to develop your own style.

mikeomando
Nov-12-2004, 6:46pm
Rock is pretty much defined by electric guitar. I evolved into playing a solid body 5 string electric tuned CGDAE to get the lower notes, an amped sound, and the capability to run through effects. Once you do this, it can sound like a guitar, but it doesn't play the same cliche licks like a guitar. You can amplify an acoustic mando, but it isn't the same in terms of rock feel and note sustain. There are plenty of 4- and 8- solid bodied emandos out there, and they'll rock too. I have a couple (more like 4) myself, but I gravitated towards the 5 string because the chords sound more full. You're on your own in terms of developing your own style. Good luck!

dwc
Nov-13-2004, 1:41am
In terms of mandos, sounds like a solid body would be right up your alley. The guys over in the electric section can give you good advice on an axe, amp, and effects. In general, use all tube amps for the best sound. In terms of instrument, a mandobird is a descent instrument and pretty cheep maybe $200; they come in 4 & 8 strings made by Epiphone. A Mandoblaster is a little more and has 4 or 5 strings. Kentucky makes a 4 at about $300. There are some reviews on the 4 & 5 string board. I have played a Fender 62se and was favorably impressed with it acoustic and it sounded pretty good played through a fender blues jr. For around a grand you could have a Swaab or a topshelf Ryder, both are pretty nice and both have staunch suppoters. Also, if you haven't been, check out emando.com.
As to developing style, there is an ongoing post in general. The consensus listen to alot of stuff, borrow what you like and leave the rest. Personally, I beleive that maturing as a musician necessitates creativity and vice versa, or to put it another way, form follows function.