PDA

View Full Version : Gibson A-50 1948

diamondjim
Jun-27-2011, 1:44pm
I have what I believe is a 1948 Gibson A-50 mandolin, A-style, based on similar photos I have seen. Its in very good condition, just some scratches, no pickguard.

It does have a fishman bridge pickup and Carpenter jack installed. I used to play this out in my bluegrass band, but picked up a new Epiphone which does not sound as good but is less risky to take out on gigs.

I am looking to sell the Gibson, any idea of what it is worth? It comes with a hard shell case in OK condition.

Will post photos later, just wanted to get anyone's comment first.

thanks,
Jim

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-27-2011, 3:44pm
One went on the Classifieds recently for $650. I have seen them listed for between that and $1,100 - but I don't know what they would have sold for...

f5loar
Jun-27-2011, 8:33pm
Many get the date wrong on these and you saying "I believe is a 1948" may be just a guess. Some even get the model number wrong. Post some photos and the FON usually found in the lower F hole here and let's see if we can verify it is indeed a 1948.
The photos will also give a better look at the condition which does effect the price.

MandoSquirrel
Jun-28-2011, 4:32pm
Keep the Epiphone, & sell the Gibson? Unless it's a pre-Gibson vintage Epi, that's totally backwards, whatever the (il)logic!

allenhopkins
Jun-29-2011, 3:04pm
So let's see if I understand this: d'jim has a vintage Gibson mandolin which sounds good, but he's worried about taking it out on gigs, so he buys one that's less valuable, sounds worse -- and now plans to sell the Gibson...? I must be missing something.

Good as the A-50 may be, it's not a super-rare Holy Grail to be kept in a glass case. It's a good gigging mandolin, IMHO. The pickup installation and lack of pickguard have pretty much compromised its "collectible" value, which wasn't huge to begin with. Don't see any reason why one wouldn't keep playing it out.

If the only "advantage" of the Epiphone is that it's a worse mandolin, so less of a risk for theft or damage, that seems no advantage at all. Were I in d'jim's shoes, I'd keep playing the A-50, and enjoy the quality that initial construction and decades of playing have given it.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-29-2011, 3:28pm
I do agree with Allen and Elrod above - the current market is not great mandolin resale and I have seen some of the A40 and A50 on eBay went for less little as $400-$500 (not in perfect shape mind you). Unless you have a compelling reason to sell the A50 (financial hardship etc.), you may be well served by keeping it and keep playing it with your band, esp if you like it in the first place.

f5loar
Jun-29-2011, 11:49pm
yeah I don't get the risk factor with an A50 from any year when you got guys out there at local jam gatherings sporting $200,000 Loars. The A50 does at least have the Gibson "cool" factor but hardly the mandolin someone would break into your car to steal.

AlanN
Jun-30-2011, 9:15am
Yep.

And begs the re-tell of this old one: A banjo picker loads his banjo in the car, heads out to the gig. Goes into the bar, realizes he forgot the banjo. Runs back, but it was too late. Someone had broken into the car, and left another banjo inside.

f5loar
Jun-30-2011, 12:09pm
or.......... did you hear about the banjo picker who put his banjo on the dash so he could park in the handicap zone.

mandroid
Jul-04-2011, 8:40am
I just got one of Peter Mix's Carbon fiber Mandolins , It solves that sort of Issue ,
it sounds good , and it's durable as heck!
And I don't have to worry about spilling beer n stuff on it.

Should I ever get a need to amplify it , like , got work?..
anything more than the Jam tip-jar?,
there is a nice Schertler, Pickup in it.

~o)
PS

Will post photos later
if the sales promotion is why the pictures go in, then put it in the classifieds.
the rest of the site is just for discussion and Bragging rights..