PDA

View Full Version : Can someone identify this mandolin? Help, please.

Michael-W.
Jun-26-2011, 3:06am
Howdy everybody,
I am new here and enjoyed browsing through the various topics on MandolinCafe.

I do hope you may help me to identify this mandolin which I bought a few weeks ago on eBay.
It is all solid wood, the scroll is a carved elegant sculpture. It is not 'flat' like on the cheap modern mandolins.
All inlays are genuine MOP, the fretboard and the bridge are made of ebony.
There is no label inside the mandolin. The headstock logo says VEGA.
I'll try to attach some pictures and I would very much appreciate your help.
Y'all take care.
Michael

MikeEdgerton
Jun-26-2011, 6:45am
In the 1970's C.F. Martin purchased the brand name Vega and imported these mandolins from Japan. You'll see similar instruments with other brand names on them.

Michael-W.
Jun-26-2011, 8:18am
Thanks, Mike.
How come I cannot find any of these mandolins on the web?
Did Martin discontinue this brand very soon after they purchased it?

Bernie Daniel
Jun-26-2011, 9:06am
Not sure about the Martin association but the Vega hung around for a long time at least into the '90's -- I do not recall seeing any new ones lately but then I haven't looked for them either. I think your mandolin might well be of very decent quality. Japanese luthiers in the '70's and '80's were making some very nice insturments. The Araia's, Ariana's, Vega's, Kentucky's Alverez's, Epiphone's or Ibanez's were sometimes better than many American products of that era.

I especially like the idea of a rosewood veneer on the headstock -- I had a 1972 Gibson F-12 with that -- its really attractive I think.

Jim Garber
Jun-26-2011, 9:10am
I have a carved A model with f holes and that same look and label. Could be a decent instrument as Bernie says.

Michael-W.
Jun-26-2011, 9:21am
Gentleman,
you have been very helpful, thanks alot.
I compared this instrument to a Fender 63, 2 Michael Kellys and a Morgan Monroe but none of those stood up to the quality of MY Vega.
Okay, I sound like a first time dad, but the woods used for this mando are outstanding, the workmanship is very good and the head is straight.
I had to adjust the action but am very satisfied with it.
Oh, I scooped out the tip of the fretboard because I hit it with the pick all the time.
She sounds very sweet but barks when she has to.

What about a picture of that A-model?

MikeEdgerton
Jun-26-2011, 8:10pm
Thanks, Mike.
How come I cannot find any of these mandolins on the web?
Did Martin discontinue this brand very soon after they purchased it?

They come up from time to time. They didn't bring a ton of them in. Here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=vega&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=1&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process) is every thread with Vega in the title. A quick look through them turned up four or threads that discus these. They don't say much more than what has already been said here.

allenhopkins
Jun-26-2011, 9:08pm
Martin bought the Vega Banjo Co. in 1970, and used the "Vega" label for a variety of instruments: US-made banjos (including the infamous "Earl Scruggs Model" that Earl apparently only played in advertising photos), a line of European-made guitars, and some Asian-import instruments. In 1979, Martin sold the label to the Korean firm Galaxy Trading Co.* In the 1980's Deering Banjo Co. acquired the "Vega" trademark, and now builds Vega banjos patterned after the pre-Martin Vega models.

Quite possibly this mandolin comes from the Galaxy Trading period, when "Vega" was used exclusively on Asian-made instruments. From its appearance, it resembles the high-end Japanese mandolins of the 1970-80's. Not surprising that you find it superior to some current imports.

Some Asian mandolins of that period are quite sought-after now. The number of Vega-labeled Asian instruments imported during the period between Martin's ownership and Deering's, is likely fairly limited, so there aren't many internet references. An unusual case of a vintage American nameplate being bought by a distributor to be affixed to Asian imports, but then sold back to a US firm using it for US-made products.

* Ref: Mugwumps.com. (http://www.mugwumps.com/acf_date.html)

Jim Garber
Jun-26-2011, 10:42pm
What about a picture of that A-model?

Here you go...

Michael-W.
Jun-27-2011, 1:53am
Here you go...

Thanks for the nice pictures, Jim.

Jake Wildwood
Jun-27-2011, 5:23am
Not a bad looking A at all...

epicentre
Jun-28-2011, 1:40pm
Wow, that A is pretty much a dead ringer for my old Gibson A 50, if not for the name...........??