PDA

View Full Version : Can you guess what the soundhole design is ???

saez
Jun-25-2011, 4:03pm
Hi All

I have just had some wittner finetune violin pegs fitted to my Czech mandolin, it is now a simpler process when tuning the instrument, also it now stays in tune.

It has a unusual peghead which has a very medieval look but can anyone guess what I used to decorate the soundhole with ???

Suggestions please before I tell you.

Saez

Bill Snyder
Jun-25-2011, 10:00pm
Petrified earth worms. :))

Ed Goist
Jun-26-2011, 12:03am
I'll guess the ornate woodwork from a wooden bed headboard. I've seen a couple that have a similar design...
By the way, that's a beautiful mandolin. Congrats.

Mike Snyder
Jun-26-2011, 12:32am
Grillework from a Turkish bathouse.

Kerry Krishna
Jun-26-2011, 1:21am
Looks like some kind of stone?

saez
Jun-26-2011, 6:10am
Hi all

It is a piece of a very cheap plastic ladies hairband, I cut off a piece flattened it, and simply stuck it on with sticky tabs, looks like wood.

However I am seriously considering scrapping it and using the petrified earth worms, I just need to work out how to petrify them???

Michael-W.
Jun-26-2011, 11:31am
The design is typical for the Jugenstil/Art Nouveau/(England)Modern Style from the period about 1890-1914.
A period during which very fancy designs were used mainly in Europe but as well in the States.
So maybe your mandolin dates from that time period?

Michael-W.
Jun-27-2011, 1:55am
Boy, am I dumb.........
The earth worms actually sound best to me as well.
Take live ones, they change the pattern ever so often.....

JGWoods
Jun-27-2011, 3:22pm
It looks like a nail, but then I am holding a hammer...

Paul Busman
Jun-27-2011, 7:24pm
Take some worms, and bury them in the earth for a million years or so to petrify them. Oh wait, they LIKE being buried in the earth....never mind.
Your decoration looks just terrific as it is. Very clever.