PDA

View Full Version : Ballad of St Anne's reel

Bluegrasstjej
Feb-17-2004, 1:51pm
There was a discussion about the reel in itself which made me think of the ballad that I like a lot.
I heard it on a collection CD with the Dubliners a few years ago, but it wasn't mine and I would love to have it on CD. Does anyone know on what album I will find this song with the Dubliners? Who else has recorded it?

Strathspey
Feb-18-2004, 12:11pm
"The Ballad of the St Anne's Reel" was written by Dave Mallet, who also wrote "The Garden Song" otherwise known as "Inch by Inch, Row by Row . . . "

A brief search suggests that John Denver recorded it! I know a PEI band called Jar O'Comfort recorded it.

Matt

jasona
Feb-18-2004, 3:57pm
I have a recording by PEI's Sons of Maxwell. Great tune!

Strathspey
Feb-18-2004, 6:01pm
Aren't Sons of Maxwell from Ottawa? I think they masquerade as Maritimers! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

danb
Feb-18-2004, 9:37pm
It's on "Celebration" which is the Dubliners' 2 CD retrospective/best of set. I've always liked Barney McKenna's banjo playing, a couple nice sets of tunes on those disks.

Anyone else remember circa 1991 when the Dubliners and the Pogues were playing festivals together? Some great stuff came of that, notably combined settings of old warhorses like the Irish Rover, etc.

jasona
Feb-18-2004, 11:21pm
Strathspey: Oops. That's what I get for assuming a PEI connection. Actually, their web site says they are from Timmins--too bad Shania didn't get more from their style, eh? They started playing together while at CarletonU. (Ironically, I am currently sitting next door to Patty Boland's in Ottawa's Byward Market wishing they were here to play a set or two.)

Dan: That was a great period. I have a copy of a joint Dubliners-Pogues version of "Rare Old Mountain Dew", which made me laugh as the Pogues mention that tune in their classic christmas song "Fairytail in New York"

Bluegrasstjej
Feb-19-2004, 7:14am
Dan: Thanks a lot!! Now I know what to look for! I'll have to check up those other recordings too, as it is a very nice song.

Strathspey
Feb-19-2004, 7:24am
I get a chuckle out of this song - mind you, I like it quite a lot. The St. Anne's Reel is beyond an anthem on PEI. Chances are that if an Islander knows one tune, it's the St. Anne's Reel . . .

jasona, do you remember the Cock Robin? I think that I was told that it closed. I have fond memories . . . drinking Guinness while underage after busking in the cold, singing along to Rita MacNeill albums (much to the shock and dismay of the bartender), finally being ID'ed two days after becoming legal age . . . like they always knew (because the didn't ID my two still underage friends) . . . oh The Cock Robin!

mandoflute
Feb-22-2004, 10:34am
I learned it from a recoring by a band called McGinty out of Nova Scota. #It's on their Atlantic Favorites album.

I'm a big fan of these guys. They have a couple really nice recorings, in particular, "McGinty Live" and "Ballads and Barsongs." There's no substitute for seeing them live though, preferably in a small, warm pub with a pint or two....that's the stuff.

jasona
Feb-23-2004, 2:23am
Strathspey: Just back from Ottawa. Have never heard of said bar--but I've only visited occasionally. I will ask my wife, who is living there for a second time in ten years. Where is/was it located?

Strathspey
Feb-23-2004, 2:19pm
jasona: The Cock Robin was in the basement of a place in the Market. It was there in the early '90. There used to be some tunes there by times.

Matt

Martin Jonas
Mar-01-2004, 7:30am
It's on "Celebration" which is the Dubliners' 2 CD retrospective/best of set. I've always liked Barney McKenna's banjo playing, a couple nice sets of tunes on those disks.
Just a small correction: It is indeed on "Celebration", but that's not a retrospective compilation, it's an original studio double album. "Celebration" was recorded and released for the 25th anniversary of the Dubliners in the late 80s and is also the album from which the hit single "Irish Rover" with the Pogues was taken. Lots of guest performers on this one, and actually a rather decent album (a lot more so than the next two anniversary albums, anyway).

Celebration is just about the last original thing that the Dubliners did before settling down into aspic. I used to listen to them more, but a lot of it makes me cringe now. Still, every now and then they hit the spot.

"Ballad of St Anne's Reel" was also recorded by Makem & Clancy in the 1970s, which is a nice version.

Martin