PDA

View Full Version : 1914 Gibson A1

Brookside
Feb-17-2004, 1:37pm
I am looking at a 1914 Gibson A1 that I would like to purchase. I'm still trying to gather some more information about it but at this point I don't know what all is original. I believe it's condition is very good but I'm still looking into that. I know it sounds weird that I'm all excited about an instrument that I don't know much about but I was hoping for some general idea of what they sell for. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Spruce
Feb-17-2004, 2:18pm
1K-1.7K is about the range depending on condition, whether there's an original pickguard, original case, etc. etc.

Go scout The Archives (http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/list_mandolins.pl?teens) to see what these instruments are supposed to look like...

Find a mandolin with a serial number close to the one you're interesting in, and study it....

That should get you going....

Luck!!

Brookside
Feb-17-2004, 7:22pm
Thank you Bruce. Your information was quite helpful.

Regards,
Stuart Hall

mcashion
Feb-17-2004, 7:43pm
I bought an A, 1913 all original, two very small expertly repaired cracks on the back for $900.

FrankenMouse
Feb-18-2004, 3:02pm
I paid $680 for my 1914 A-1. It has a total (and mediocre) refinish and lacks the pickguard. New hardshell case included.

To me, the refinish is a blessing. If it was all original, I never could have got it for that price. The tone and playablity are superb, and that's all I care about.