PDA

View Full Version : Stringing a 22" Dola as an Octave

Chopsuey
Nov-11-2004, 10:43am
I would like to try something different with my mandola. Anybody tried this? What guage strings would be appropriate--I am thinking of pairs rather than courses.

Tim
Nov-11-2004, 10:48am
The Freshwater Octave Mandola (http://www.frettedfolkinstruments.com/product2.htm#2) is just a little less than 22" and it is tuned GDAE. #There is also a link to a string chart that gives the gauges.

Chopsuey
Nov-11-2004, 2:49pm
So are you tuning the "c" up a fifth to "G" or down a fourth?

John Bertotti
Nov-11-2004, 11:12pm
What is the difference in tuning in pairs instead of courses? Yea I'm new to mandolas and OMs. Thanks John

Chopsuey
Nov-12-2004, 8:07am
Ok I must have mistaken my numbers in my head. I think my mandola is a little less than a 16 inch scale. Same question--anyway to string or tune to standard? I don't think I can tune an "e" string up to a mandolin e without it breaking, so I guess I need to go down an octave. Do I have enough scale lengh or am I stuck in "c"?

steve V. johnson
Nov-12-2004, 9:05am
As I understand it, the mandola scale is 18". The Flatiron mandola that I have offered for sale on the Cafe Classifieds is 18" and so is the Troubadour Gervais, no?.

I haven't tried it, but I would think that with messing with string gauges, one could get to GDAE (or GDAD) on that scale, tho it would certainly take some experimentation.

John, as far as I know "course" means a pair of strings, as in "Mandolin family instruments generally have eight strings, in four courses."

stv