PDA

View Full Version : Good Bluegrass Mandolin

Mandoman96
Jun-21-2011, 3:56pm
What are some good F-style bluegrass mandolins that are under $2,000? I have been playing for a little bit now and want to upgrade. Any suggestions?

Capt. E
Jun-21-2011, 4:29pm
I would consider buying used and look for an instrument from one of the small US builders. There are several good ones out there. One I would consider looking at is June Mandolins. http://junemandolinsandguitars.com/ A young builder who makes some very nice instruments. I am pretty sure his F models are under 2K.

The Kentucky KM-1000 gets consistent kudos, selling new for under $1500. The Kentucky KM-1500 would still be within your budget, but I don't think it would be a better sounding mandolin, just a bit fancier.

Mike Bunting
Jun-21-2011, 4:32pm
I sampled an Eastman 515 at a picking party the other night and I must say that I was very impressed with it. It had a really nice bluegrass tone, I've had a chance to taste a few mandos in this price range and this one impressed me the most.

Mike Snyder
Jun-21-2011, 4:45pm
Keep an eye on the cafe classifieds. Some very nice stuff pops up here frequently. Often, the stuff is not really well known, so a little research may be in order. Other times, good deals don't last long. Used Flatiron Festival Fs are usually in that range, and are good instruments.

Mandobart
Jun-21-2011, 6:12pm
Sonny Morris (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/group.php?groupid=174)plays and builds bluegrass fiddles and mandolins. He will build to spec, A, F, oval or f hole, your choice of woods and finish. When he built mine last year it took him about six weeks. He is great to work with and will tell you that he builds his mandolins first for tone, then playability. I've heard and played many of his instruments and can highly recomend him. NFI, but Sonny is a friend of mine. Also check him out on facebook (http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pages/Howard-Morris-Mandolins-Fan-Page/106825996051274). He sometimes offers instruments here through the classifieds, there's and F4 (47414) and A5 (44579) but currently no F5's by him in the classifieds. You can get a great F5 from Sonny with hard case for under $ 2,000.

Ed Goist
Jun-21-2011, 6:21pm
+1 on a Sonny Morris F5.

dcoventry
Jun-21-2011, 6:38pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=48884&query=retrieval

This is a shockingly good price. Check this out.:mandosmiley:

Dave

woodysny
Jun-21-2011, 6:52pm
Look for a good Montana Flatiron A-5. Should be well under $2000 and it will be a fine bluegrass mandolin.

Mandoman96
Jun-21-2011, 6:54pm
Is there really much of a difference between the km-1000 and the km-1500?

Douglas McMullin
Jun-21-2011, 7:53pm
You also see some nice used Ratliff's for sale a little under $2000. Actually there are two nice looking ones that come in just under $2k right now.

barry k
Jun-21-2011, 8:27pm
Go with the one that you have never seen or played...always a good bet. Excuse my tongue in cheek, the real answer is play as many YOURSELF as you can, dont rely on someone elses opinion especially if THEY never played what they are recommending.

Mandoman96
Jun-21-2011, 10:38pm
Are Breedlove mandolins good for bluegrass?

dcoventry
Jun-21-2011, 10:46pm
Use the advanced search function to look for info on brands. But as we always say, you have to play'em to decide.

Eventually one will speak to you, and when the mandolin speaks to you, get professional help. Inanimate objects shouldn't be speaking to you.;)

dcoventry
Jun-21-2011, 10:55pm
Use the advanced search function to look for info on brands. But as we always say, you have to play'em to decide.

Eventually one will speak to you, and when the mandolin speaks to you, get professional help. Inanimate objects shouldn't be speaking to you.;)

Ed Goist
Jun-21-2011, 10:56pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=48884&query=retrieval
This is a shockingly good price. Check this out.:mandosmiley:
Dave

Wow! That really is a nice price on a good looking F-Style mandolin!
I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever played or heard a Cushman.

Ed Goist
Jun-21-2011, 10:58pm
...snip...

My mandolins speak to me a lot...and for some reason they seem to use lots of expletives when they do.

SincereCorgi
Jun-21-2011, 11:29pm
I'd go for a used Collings MT, man. In fact- I did, and it's still awesome. Made in the USA by hard-core guitar nerds in a little factory in Texas.

Markus
Jun-22-2011, 4:54am
I agree with Corgi. Go with a used MT, if nothing speaks to you.

LastMohican
Jun-22-2011, 6:04am

I play a new American FF and I think it has a classic Bluegrass sound!:)

Rodney Riley
Jun-22-2011, 6:11am
I played a Breedlove at a music store in St. Louis a couple of months ago. That thing was awesome. Was so easy to fret it almost played itself and the sustain... it was still singing 5 minutes after I put it back up on the wall. :) But that one was a little out of your price range. A used Weber would be good. I'd also suggest to going on a road trip to locate the mando off your dreams.

Capt. E
Jun-22-2011, 9:14am
Is there really much of a difference between the km-1000 and the km-1500?

The KM-900, KM-1000 and KM-1500 stand out among Kentucky's other models. I understand they are even made at a different factory. The KM-1500 seems to be distinguished mainly by having more binding and fancier inlay. http://themandolinhut.com/kentucky_mandolin_km_1500.html

Compare to the KM-1000 and decide for yourself. http://themandolinhut.com/kentucky_mandolin_km_1000.htm

Clement Barrera-Ng
Jun-22-2011, 10:46am
The KM-1500 has a deeper body as well to my understanding, which should give it a bassier voice. Also agreed that if you don't mind an A style, Collings MT is _the_ best mandolin under $2K. You may also want to check out Northfield mandolins. There have been a number of threads on them recently. They are made by a special team in China and they are just great. You may find a used one for a little bit over 2K

robert.najlis
Jun-22-2011, 11:02am
I would certainly check out a Bulldog econo model. I have not played one, so I can't say - go get it. I am only saying that I would be interested to try one out...

dcoventry
Jun-22-2011, 11:24am
I agree with Robert. Everything I've heard about Bulldog/Kratzer has been more than positive. AND, I currently have MAS for his quilted maple F5 in the classifieds. Seriously drool worthy.

Dobe
Jun-22-2011, 12:37pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=48902&query=retrieval

Looks nice !

David Horovitz
Jun-22-2011, 12:57pm
Why does it have to be an F-style? For under $2K you can get an excellent A-style mandolin that will hold it's own with most F-styles that cost $4K. Really, you pay twice as much for the scrolls and extra points.

Mandoman96
Jun-22-2011, 1:01pm
Does anyone know of any place close to wheeling, west Virginia that sell mandolins so I could go there and try some out?

Mandoman96
Jun-22-2011, 1:02pm
I dont really care for the looks of the A style.

Willie Poole
Jun-22-2011, 1:46pm
Mandoman....I sent you a PM but if you want to e mail me use willpoole@comcast.net

Thanks....Willie

Peter Kurtze
Jun-22-2011, 1:51pm
Does anyone know of any place close to wheeling, west Virginia that sell mandolins so I could go there and try some out?

http://www.acousticmusicworks.com/ is in Pittsburgh; never been there myself, but it's on my bucket list.

Ed Goist
Jun-22-2011, 1:54pm
+1 on Acoustic Music Works...
It's a fantastic store...When you go, be sure to allow yourself several hours.
Oh, and it's probably best to leave your credit cards with someone else... :)

Capt. E
Jun-22-2011, 4:58pm
The KM-1500 has a deeper body as well to my understanding, which should give it a bassier voice.

That would probably put the KM-1000 ahead of the KM-1500 for bluegrass.
I also agree the Collings MT would be a good choice and a better mando, they sell new for under $2200. (there are two used ones on Ebay right now. Here's one: http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-Collings-MT-Mandolin-/230638005429?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b318acb5)

Regardless there are so many people out there who HAVE to have an F.

I have to add that in the past I have been a big fan of Weber mandolins. I own a Bighorn that is just fabulous. However, recently I think Collings has been surpassing Weber. I tried out a Collings MT2-O recently that had just about everything you would want in an oval hole.

mandobassman
Jun-22-2011, 5:31pm

I have been using a Breedlove OF in a working bluegrass band for the last 4 years. I use flatwound strings on mine and I get complimented on its' tone all the time. Very warm and full. It's a little bright with bronze strings for my tastes, but it sounds outstanding with the flatwounds. The playability is second to none.

Jim Ferguson
Jun-22-2011, 6:25pm
Kentucky KM-1000, Eastman 515 are two great affordable mandos that come to my mind.
Peace,
Jim

jim simpson
Jun-22-2011, 6:52pm
I live in Wheeling, WV - I sent you a pm.
Jim

P.D. Kirby
Jun-22-2011, 9:11pm
There's a KM 1500 (NFI) in the classifieds under "Trades" that I believe you can have for around $1850.00 .

mandotrout777
Jun-23-2011, 9:56am
I have to add that in the past I have been a big fan of Weber mandolins. I own a Bighorn that is just fabulous. However, recently I think Collings has been surpassing Weber. I tried out a Collings MT2-O recently that had just about everything you would want in an oval hole.

Let's see. The OP is looking for an F model mandolin around 2K. A plain Jane Collings F, new, starts at 4K. A new plain Jane Weber F comes in right at the OP's price, 2K (see the Mandolin Store "Special Editions"). I've played several Collings mandolins and haven't played a single one that was 2K better than any of the Webers I've played. So saying that Collings has been surpassing Weber recently, I'm not sure what mandolins you're comparing. At the OP's price range, and for what he's looking for (F), Collings doesn't even have anything to consider.

Comparing Weber and Collings, apples to apples, I recently bought a new Weber Yellowstone with an Engelmann top. While shopping I played a couple of used Gibsons, a couple of Collings, an Iwamoto, an Ellis F5, and a Nugget. In my opinion the Weber smoked all of them except the Nugget and the Ellis. For sound, the Weber was right there with the Ellis, to my ears, and the Ellis was 6K more. On fit and finish I think the Weber is better than the Ellis. The Nugget was 16K more and clearly in a whole different bracket. So in my opinion, Webers are the hands down best bang for the buck F model mandolins going right now.

Capt. E
Jun-23-2011, 11:48am
My opinion of various mandolins seems to change from time to time. There was a period when I really liked Weber better than Collings and I still would not trade my Weber "Bighorn" for just about any Collings mandolin. Right now I think the two brands are pretty comparable. As you say, apples to apples and you usually can't do a fair comparison with anything but comparable models.

The two mandolins I was comparing was a Collings MT2-O and a Weber Vintage Oval Custom. Very comparable in price, but the Collings was very much better. Give me two other mandos of the same models and makers and I might have a different opinion.
Of course here, we are talking about F style bluegrass mandolins, not oval holes.
You just have to try them out.