PDA

View Full Version : Monteleone on CBS Sunday Morning

Wesley
Jun-20-2011, 8:34am
This clip is mostly about his guitars - but who would have thought that Liz Taylor would have bought a mandola?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7370586n&tag=fdEmbedTooEarly

SternART
Jun-20-2011, 9:44am
John had written to tell me to be on the lookout........I had to wake up @ 6AM on a Sunday to see it here in the SF Bay Area. It is cool that the ripple effect of the Met show has made for more publicity for John. And I liked the way it honored his father on Father's Day. How about those guitar necks he was working on for the Train series!

Grisman just played a club in NY with Martin Taylor. He brought his early Grand Artist to use & also played a Radio Flyer at the gig.

Mike Black
Jun-20-2011, 9:55am
That was a nice episode. It did make me search out and buy that DVD of James D'Aquisto New Yorker Special.

aconnormartin
Jun-20-2011, 10:05am
I saw that on CBS! And I am going to New York in a couple weeks so I will get to see the show at the Met! I will take a bunch of pictures and post them here!

Scotti Adams
Jun-20-2011, 10:12am
I thought it was real nice. On another note. I seen a recent pic of Arnold S. love child....he was playiing what appeared to be an old Gibson A model...

Jim Hilburn
Jun-20-2011, 11:07am
I need a closer look at the "seasons" set. What a cool idea!

EdHanrahan
Jun-20-2011, 11:12am
In the on-stage performance, the leftmost of the Four Seasons guitars is being played by mandolin master Barry Mitterhoff. Funny thing is, there are 3 seemingly contiguous shots of the four players, but the guitars seem to jump between them on each take!

Even better: The Met's website features (or at least did when I last looked) maybe two dozen takes of the players on many of the instruments, mostly solo but one or two duets. Great stuff!

mtucker
Jun-20-2011, 1:17pm
if John Monteleone isn't nearly single-handedly responsible for creating a new golden age (or his own golden age) of archtops.. i give up...:disbelief::grin: great coverage. thanks.

strings777
Jun-20-2011, 1:53pm
Wow!!! What a great video....the four seasons series is exceptionally stunning and are angelic sounding to say the least (I also love his mandolins too by the way :grin:)! :disbelief:

Glassweb
Jun-20-2011, 2:00pm
This clip is mostly about his guitars - but who would have thought that Liz Taylor would have bought a mandola?

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7370586n&tag=fdEmbedTooEarly

a friend of mine now living in Florida owned that mandola for many years and i played it a few times. it was a fantastic sounding mandola... really beautiful and really good!

usqebach
Jun-20-2011, 4:50pm
They didn't make much mention of John's mandolins, but if you look closely in the segment on D'Angelico, you can see a couple of mandolins in the white on the workbench. Wouldn't those be neat to see!