PDA

View Full Version : L&H Bell mandolin

Charles E.
Jun-19-2011, 7:31pm
Well it has been a long build but I strung it up today and I am very happy. :)
It has Australian Blackwood back and sides ( and pickguard ), Engleman top with Red Spruce X-bracing. Poltruded Carbon Fiber compression rods from stem to stern ( see page 195 mandolins in progress ), Ebony bindings, a Lyon and Healy style C-Deco inspired headstock, Schaller tuners and an engraved 1920's waverly tailpiece I bought on eBay. It also has a bolt on neck useing a 10mm barrel nut imbedded in the neck and a large head brass bolt to tighten things up. The only glue used is the fingerboard to the top with hide glue. Oh and a Carbon Fiber rod in the neck.
Sound clips are on the way.

Bill Snyder
Jun-19-2011, 7:46pm
Looks like you did a fine job of it.

Charles E.
Jun-19-2011, 8:41pm
Thanks Bill!

Jake Wildwood
Jun-19-2011, 8:57pm
WOW! Cool as heck!

Jill McAuley
Jun-19-2011, 9:52pm
Aye, that's a sweet looking mandolin - well done!

Cheers,
Jill

Tavy
Jun-20-2011, 4:42am
I have to be honest, I've never been completely sure about that shape - but I do like the execution of it very much!

What we all want to know though, is does it ring like one? ;)

Jim Garber
Jun-20-2011, 9:30am
Very nice! Is this an induced arch flattop?

Jason Kessler
Jun-20-2011, 11:18am
Amazingly cool.

nobullmando74
Jun-20-2011, 11:57am
Does it have a "bell like" tone?:whistling:

Charles E.
Jun-20-2011, 4:54pm
Tavy, the shape goes back to Citterns being made in Hamburg, Germany in the 1600's. I will admit that the bass side point will poke you in the ribs a bit. :grin:

Jim, yes it is a 15 foot arch built into the ribs and braces.

I think it is sounding pretty good, I will try to post a sound clip tonight. This will be my last bell mandolin for awhile, I've got violins on deck for now.

Charles E.
Jun-20-2011, 5:44pm
Here is a short sound clip, I hope this works.

Jim Garber
Jun-20-2011, 8:30pm
Very nice warm sounding tone, Charles!

Charles E.
Jun-20-2011, 8:47pm
Thanks Jim, I have been playing it a fair amount today and the bass is really starting to come out. This thing has sustain out the wazoo!

By the way do you have that Embergher up and running yet? I would love to hear it.

Tavy
Jun-21-2011, 3:45am
Here is a short sound clip, I hope this works.

Nice!

Jim Garber
Jun-21-2011, 7:03am
By the way do you have that Embergher up and running yet? I would love to hear it.

I did not want hijack this thread, even tho i is yours, so i emailed you.

JGWoods
Jun-21-2011, 7:38am
That is delightful to look at, sounds great too! Did you build it for yourself?

Charles E.
Jun-21-2011, 5:45pm
JG, thank you. Yes I did build it and I am really enjoying getting to know it!

Charles E.
Jun-21-2011, 9:03pm
Nice!

Tavy, I just realized that your avitar is a picture of the mandolin you were building the same time as mine! You used a carbon fiber 'flying brace' similar to my poltruded carbon fiber rods, just curious how you feel that worked out for you. I would love to see more pic's of the mandolin.

Tavy
Jun-22-2011, 4:21am
Tavy, I just realized that your avitar is a picture of the mandolin you were building the same time as mine! You used a carbon fiber 'flying brace' similar to my poltruded carbon fiber rods, just curious how you feel that worked out for you. I would love to see more pic's of the mandolin.

It's a mandola, and the pictures are here (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?69314-1-Retro-cylinder-top-mandola&highlight=mandola).

As for the "flying" braces: well they worked well in that particular instrument, in that they prevented neck rotation via body-distortion. I'm also very much enjoying playing the instrument. I haven't used it on my second build though - a mandolin - I got the geometry better sorted out on this one so maybe that effected things, or maybe the smaller instrument just doesn't need anything like that. Instead some beefy braces North of the soundhole had a similar effect - without them the bridge had to be cut pretty low, with them the body no longer distorts under tention so the bridge can be a lot higher.

Can you tell I'm making it up as I go along :) John.

PS here's the insides of the latest build,

Charles E.
Jun-24-2011, 8:07pm
I meant to give a shout out to Graham Mcdonald for his wonderful book, "The Mandolin Project". It helped quite a bit with the headstock design and other aspects of the build. While I have some different ideas given my years building instruments, this was my first flat top mandolin build and the info I got from Graham's book made it a lot easier.

Jim Garber
Jun-25-2011, 3:42pm
You used a carbon fiber 'flying brace' similar to my poltruded carbon fiber rods

I never heard that term "poltruded". What does it mean?

Charles E.
Jun-25-2011, 4:13pm
Well Jim, I do not know! I just bought the things........http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?CategoryName=Truss+Rods%2FNeck+P arts&NameProdHeader=Pultruded+Carbon+Rods

Perhaps it has to do with a manufacturing process that makes them hollow? Of course if I spelled it correctly that might help!