PDA

View Full Version : Lord Stanley's Cup up for grabs TONIGHT.....

Duane Graves
Jun-15-2011, 5:56pm
Are there any hockey fanatics like me among my mandolin friends out there? There must be a few and so it's game seven of the best of seven and it's Boston Bruins in Vancouver to play the Canucks. It don't get much better than this, baby.....sooooo as the frenchman says "who gonna win dat ting....." any predictions?....dgg

Don Julin
Jun-15-2011, 6:07pm
In most cases the best goalie wins. If this holds true, the Canucks will be bummin'. And maybe looking for a new goalie. I am a die hard Redwings fan, but this has been a great series. On second thought it would be really cool to have the Stanley Cup go to a Canadian team. Either way, I got the grill fired up and beer in the fridge, it's gonna be a good one!

Steve-o
Jun-15-2011, 6:18pm
Oh yeah, big night. Another Red Wing fan growing up in Detroit, er Hockey Town, and watching Hockey Night in Canada on Windsor TV. I predict Boston, much to my chagrin. It would be nice to see Vancouver win their first cup, eh?

P.S. I agree with Don. Goalies, and more broadly, great D gets the job done.

Spencer
Jun-15-2011, 6:23pm
Are there any hockey fanatics like me among my mandolin friends out there?

Not really fanatics, but there is a lot of interest here in Denmark, as Jannik Hansen is the first Dane ever to be in the SC finals. But I can't see it on my TV setup :crying:. Should be exciting.

Spencer

LastMohican
Jun-15-2011, 6:26pm
Former Stars season ticket holder.

Go Canucks! (I'll always pull for the team out of the Western Conference)

Duane Graves
Jun-15-2011, 6:39pm
.....Spencer, can't you get it on the internet.....must be a site somewhere somehow carrying it.....dgg

Larry S Sherman
Jun-15-2011, 6:56pm
I don't follow hockey (Red Sox fan instead), but being a representative of MA I say Go BOSTON!

http://msn.foxsports.com/fe/images/NHL/TeamLogo/Large/1.png

Larry

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jun-15-2011, 7:23pm
I'm more of a Boston fan, but I would like to see Vancouver win just to watch all the psuedo-hippies burn their city to the ground.

Although, I guess thats going to happen either way.

Duane Graves
Jun-15-2011, 7:33pm
.....5-3 Vancouver....empty net goal 30 seconds left.....dgg

Jim Ferguson
Jun-15-2011, 8:00pm
As a serious Habs fan.......I am indeed a hockey fanatic. Here's hoping the Canucks can bring Lord Stanley's Cup back north of the border.......prediction: Canucks 3-2 in 1st OT.
Peace,
Jim

coletrickle
Jun-15-2011, 8:10pm
Major Red Wings fan here...rooting for the Bruins. How can you not love a guy like Tim Thomas. Class act.

journeybear
Jun-15-2011, 8:45pm
I can't shake the feeling that if it's come down to a game seven, neither team is clearly the better one. I want to see one team whip the other one in a series. I don't like it when a championship can be decided by the smallest of margins, like when the Bills lost a Super Bowl by missing a field goal by barely a yard, even though I was rooting for the Giants. (Actually, in a one-game decision, I prefer the drama of a close game.) I can't believe both teams are suffering long droughts. Being from New England, gotta root for the Bruins.

Paul Merlo
Jun-15-2011, 10:32pm
Chalk me up as another Red Wings fan who enjoyed a Cup Finals Game 7. (should we start a social group already? ha ha)
Congrats to Tim Thomas as the Conn Smythe winner and to the Bruins. Better luck next year Vancouver, We know how you feel (see 2009) and I hope your city behaves itself with your disappointment. and remember, riots are so 1984.

journeybear
Jun-15-2011, 10:43pm
Don't care too much (10 weeks till football), but sending out a WOO-HOO! on behalf of my NE buddies. :grin:

allenhopkins
Jun-15-2011, 10:58pm
I was watching the fights tonight, but a hockey game broke out...

Boston 4, Vancouver 0.

Don Julin
Jun-15-2011, 11:02pm
See, the best goalie wins the cup again!

ColdBeerGoCubs
Jun-16-2011, 2:27am
and remember, riots are so 1984.

Well, maybe leg warmers and Christie Brinkley are making a comeback too.

Larry S Sherman
Jun-16-2011, 3:17am
I'm more of a Boston fan, but I would like to see Vancouver win just to watch all the psuedo-hippies burn their city to the ground.

I thought that you were kidding...but wow! (http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2011/06/16/cars_set_on_fire_in_vancouver_following_loss/) People take their hockey pretty seriously I guess.

Larry

Mike Bunting
Jun-16-2011, 3:31am
I thought that you were kidding...but wow! (http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2011/06/16/cars_set_on_fire_in_vancouver_following_loss/) People take their hockey pretty seriously I guess.

Larry
That thuggish behavior is why more and more of us Canadians are turning away from a once great sport that seems to have degenerated into little more than ultimate fighting on skates.

Malcolm G.
Jun-16-2011, 4:49am
That thuggish behavior is why more and more of us Canadians are turning away from a once great sport that seems to have degenerated into little more than ultimate fighting on skates.

Right on Mike!

Paul Merlo
Jun-16-2011, 8:18am

Maybe that attitude would change if "Grapes" used his Coaches Corner platform to credit some european players for their finesse and high skill level on the ice, instead of alluding to their softness and going on about how wonderful all the home grown 'tough' role player guys like Mike Richards are. PS - Mike Richards deserved all the praise he received.

Anyway, it's interesting to hear that some of our neighbors from the great white north are disappointed with the current state of the game.

Mando content: hockey sticks used to be made of wood. Mandolins are still made of wood. Some things shouldn't change.

JGWoods
Jun-16-2011, 8:33am
The Bruins have always been Lunchpail AC even back in the Bobbie Orr days. I was here rooting for them then, still rooting now. I had to work on my old hat to make the B in Bruins show up after so many years of them being the (b)Ruins under the Jacobs ownership. It's so nice to see a TEAM win. Congrats to the Bruins, to the Dallas Mavericks too, and every team that took on perhaps superior talent and thrashed the poo out of them.
Mandolin content- sort of- it's like having a band where everyone is pretty good but no one is great, but they work hard and know how to get in the groove and make people want to dance. I'd rather listen to that than a raggedy bunch of superstars staggering from solo to solo. ( of course there's exceptions- Monk comes to mind:)

Steve-o
Jun-16-2011, 8:35am
Tim Thomas was brilliant in this series and especially Game 7. Hats off to him and the Bruins. Condolences to our Canadian friends (ignoring the riotous bad apples in the bunch). Now I can turn the TV off and play mandolin the rest of the summer!

mandroid
Jun-16-2011, 8:52am
Vancouver acted like they were in Paris, or LA, after the 4-0 problem.

AnneFlies
Jun-16-2011, 9:23am
I predicted that Vancouver would win by one goal - it seemed that each team won at home. But then Luongo would implode; I don't know why he was left in the game. Since the Red Wings were knocked out of the running, I was cheering for Vancouver for no particular reason except they have twins on the team, and that seemed pretty cool.

Hockey Night in Canada on Windsor Channel 9, just to see what Don Cherry will wear, last night's outfit was hysterical! Over for the present time, now it's time for summer!

Duane Graves
Jun-16-2011, 11:31am

I must say, Mike, you are misinformed big-time and if you think not just take a few minutes and listen to the vibe in your own home town of Edmonton over the "young-Oilers" led by Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberly....not to mention a new franchise in Winnepeg and the call for "at least" one more team in the Toronto (probably Hamilton) area and Quebec City building a huge new complex with an NHL franchise promise when complted. I don't mind the fighting but I dispise the intimidation of bullies, anyway, whatever opinion we have the reality is......thing is it's over now for a while so let's get down to dishin' mandolin tunes that we can agree on, you think ....dgg

Marty Henrickson
Jun-16-2011, 11:45am
Admittedly, I know next-to-nothing about hockey, but I think Mike was talking about the riots, looting, car burning, etc.

catmandu2
Jun-16-2011, 12:26pm
Admittedly, I know next-to-nothing about hockey, but I think Mike was talking about the riots, looting, car burning, etc.

Ice Hockey rules may be somewhat abstruse to the non-initiate: cross-checking, sucker-punching, high-sticking, hooking, boarding, tripping, slashing, flopping, and dropping of gloves are typical; riots, looting, car burning are not part of the game (at least until it is figured out how to do these on skates)..

Marty Henrickson
Jun-16-2011, 12:30pm
Ice Hockey rules may be somewhat abstruse to the non-initiate but, while cross-checking, rabbit-punching, high-sticking are oftentimes permitted, riots, looting, car burning are not part of the game..

No doubt these behaviors aren't normally acceptable in society either, but check the news for what happened in Vancouver last night after their loss.

Larry Sherman posted this previously: Riots in Vancouver following loss (http://www.boston.com/sports/hockey/articles/2011/06/16/cars_set_on_fire_in_vancouver_following_loss/)

Mike Bunting
Jun-16-2011, 1:17pm
I must say, Mike, you are misinformed big-time and if you think not just take a few minutes and listen to the vibe in your own home town of Edmonton over the "young-Oilers" led by Taylor Hall and Jordan Eberly....not to mention a new franchise in Winnepeg and the call for "at least" one more team in the Toronto (probably Hamilton) area and Quebec City building a huge new complex with an NHL franchise promise when complted. I don't mind the fighting but I dispise the intimidation of bullies, anyway, whatever opinion we have the reality is......thing is it's over now for a while so let's get down to dishin' mandolin tunes that we can agree on, you think ....dgg
New Brunswick is a long way from Edmonton so I'd say that you are out of the loop, the last time the Oilers won anything, there were fires in the street and there are lots of us who don't like hockey and it's WinnIpeg.

Mike Bunting
Jun-16-2011, 1:20pm
Ice Hockey rules may be somewhat abstruse to the non-initiate: cross-checking, sucker-punching, high-sticking, hooking, boarding, tripping, slashing, flopping, and dropping of gloves are typical; riots, looting, car burning are not part of the game (at least until it is figured out how to do these on skates)..

If there were cars on the ice, they'd figure out a way to light them up and actually they do riot on thr ice. Some Canuckleheads actually buy Don Cherry's (Grapes) Dvd's of these ice riots.

Duane Graves
Jun-16-2011, 2:13pm
New Brunswick is a long way from Edmonton so I'd say that you are out of the loop, the last time the Oilers won anything, there were fires in the street and there are lots of us who don't like hockey and it's WinnIpeg.

".....keep your stick on the ice, Mike...." dgg

pezdork
Jun-16-2011, 2:49pm
Im a Los Angeles Kings fan and a huge hockey nut (i must have been switched at birth, im an LA native who loves hockey and bluegrass), i was rooting for Tim Thomas and teh bruins because those sedin twins creep me out. As for the vancouver fans. Dont be so quick to single out all the fans or the country. I sat next to some Vancouver Native in teh playoffs last year and they were some of the nicest peopel i have ever met. Also as a Lakers fan who hasnt rioted... it just takes a couple idiots to screw things up.

Go Kings :P

Duane Graves
Jun-16-2011, 2:56pm
Im a Los Angeles Kings fan and a huge hockey nut (i must have been switched at birth, im an LA native who loves hockey and bluegrass), i was rooting for Tim Thomas and teh bruins because those sedin twins creep me out. As for the vancouver fans. Dont be so quick to single out all the fans or the country. I sat next to some Vancouver Native in teh playoffs last year and they were some of the nicest peopel i have ever met. Also as a Lakers fan who hasnt rioted... it just takes a couple idiots to screw things up.

Go Kings :P

here, here, well said.....

Psyberbilly
Jun-16-2011, 3:54pm

Prophetic one there ! " We're just like LA , only colder !!"

Psyberbilly
Jun-16-2011, 4:14pm
I did see a picture of a guy in a Luongo jersey throwing a teargas canister back at the police , I could not help but wonder how many he let by before he actually STOPPED one !

luckylarue
Jun-17-2011, 8:03am
Okay...another big hockey (Go Wings) fan arriving late to this party. Congrats to Tim Thomas (fellow Flint native) on what some are saying was maybe the best goalie performance ever in SC history. Speaking of history, did anyone see those slo-mo "History will be made" commercials featuring the Canucks during the games? I think this doomed them for sure.

Steve-o
Jun-17-2011, 8:13am
I did see a picture of a guy in a Luongo jersey throwing a teargas canister back at the police , I could not help but wonder how many he let by before he actually STOPPED one !

:))