PDA

View Full Version : Martin Style 6A

Capt. E
Jun-14-2011, 12:27pm
Here's a Martin Style 6A up on Ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Martin-Style-6A-Mandolin-1920-/110701219663?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3D LVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D644830295866249953

No pictures of the back, but looks in pretty good shape except for the headstock scroll damage and the cracked pickguard. What is something like this worth?

Jim Garber
Jun-14-2011, 4:13pm
I see pics of the back. Maybe they hadn't put them up yet.

Capt. E
Jun-14-2011, 4:50pm
Good, they weren't there when it first went up. I sent an note and they must have just put them up.

Nice mandolin (for a bowl back)

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-17-2011, 11:13am
Depends on the neck...

allenhopkins
Jun-17-2011, 2:44pm
"Side" pickguard is a variant. Here's a notation from Mike Longworth's Martin Guitars: A History (1980), p. 83:

There were quite a few Style 6a mandolins made. This was evidently a minor variation of the [Style 6] model that was not cataloged. These were made primarily for Joseph A Handley of Lowell, Massachusetts who is known to have suggested the move of the pickguard to the side from its old position between the bridge and the soundhole. This is the variation that caused the Style 6a.

The other variation on the eBay instrument is the unadorned headstock and relatively "plain" fingerboard. The Style 6 pictured in Longworth's book* has elaborate floral inlay on the fingerboard, vine inlay on the headstock, and a profusely inlaid pickguard below the soundhole. Also a different tailpiece cover.

* LATER: The Style 6 Longworth pictures is identified as a 1902 model. It's pictured in a photo, not a catalog drawing; quite possibly the amount of inlay decoration was reduced between 1902 and 1920, which is the date given for the eBay mandolin.

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-17-2011, 4:04pm
I asked the Seller about the neck... He said that it isn't under tension right now because he doesn't know what string gauges are on it. He suggests buying it and sending it directly to Martin before tightening the strings..." remember Ebay says that changing strings constitutes an "improvement"...

Eddie Sheehy
Jun-28-2011, 11:58pm
Well I got pix of the neck and it's straight so I made a bid and got it for the opener. There was an unreported crack on the top so I got $80 off the bid price to have it repaired. The bowl is awesome. Once I have the peghead and top crack repaired I'll string it up with GHS Ultra-lights. I'm happy.

Jim Garber
Jun-29-2011, 7:27am
Check out the sound with the GHS strings but you may want to upgrade. I like the Dogal Calace RW92b (http://bernunzio.com/products/QRRW92B).

brunello97
Jun-29-2011, 9:27am
+1 on the Dogal Calace(s). To my ear, worth every penny.

Mick

Capt. E
Jun-29-2011, 1:00pm
Glad someone on the Cafe got it. I thought about bidding, but just didn't. It will be great to hear how it comes back from the luthier. I'll bet you got a fabulous buy. My Martin Style B I snagged a few months ago is becoming one of my favorites. I would have enjoyed having a good Martin bowl-back such as the 6a. Maybe someday.