PDA

View Full Version : Liner Notes for Tony Rice "Devlin" Album

coletrickle
Jun-08-2011, 9:26am
Hi all,

In honor of Tony's 60th today I downloaded "Devlin" from iTunes, an album that has been on my list for a long time. Of course, with the download I do not get access to the liner notes, and I am really interested in knowing who the players are. AllMusic mentions some of them, but not by tracks and I have to think being a compilation that there are a number of players on this.

Does anyone have the page of the liner that tells who is who? If so, is it possible to post that as an image here? If not, can someone give me an idea of who is playing? Thanks so much!

AlanN
Jun-08-2011, 9:37am
On mandolin, by memory:

Vonetta - MM
Birdland Breakdown - JR
Waltz For Indira - JR
Is That So? - SB
Nardis - SB
Night Coach - JR
Neon Tetra - could be Dawg
Within Specs - JR
E.B.A. - JR
Mar West - SB (what a solo)
Makers Mark - JR
Moses Sole - JR
Intitled As Of Yet - JR
Whoa Baby, Every Day I Wake Up With The Blues - not sure

Fiddle would likely be Greene or Fred Carpenter

Scotti Adams
Jun-08-2011, 9:53am
Dayam Alan..your good. The tone Sammy pulls on that Lp is the best...and yes Mar West's solo is de'bomb

AlanN
Jun-08-2011, 10:02am
Devlin was 2 LPs together - Mar West and Still Inside. Mar West was mostly SB, with some MM. Fiddle on that was Greene. Still Inside was a couple of years later, JR all over it, with Fred on fiddle.

Those recordings live in the player, TR at his absolute prime.

coletrickle
Jun-08-2011, 10:25am
Thanks guys...very helpful! I have other Tony albums, including "Backwaters" but man this is some killer stuff. Each cut is unique and beautiful. Interesting comparison between these cuts with the Rice Unit and those same songs on other albums, mostly the Grisman ones. I like them both, but it is nice to hear a different line up (for the most part) doing them.

AlanN
Jun-08-2011, 11:18am
So many gems in that there compilation. E.B.A., is a slow minor bluesy thing, and JR gets these fat sounds, like where he takes it out and ends it with a juicy minor 9 voicing. Just perfect.

Fretbear
Jun-08-2011, 12:01pm
I guess "Four on Six" from "Still Inside" didn't make the cut if it's not listed. Funny story, I was watching rare B&W footage of Wes Montgomery and his band pounding away on that tune, and I'm: "Hey, Tony Rice Unit", when it was actually: "No, Wes Montgomery tune...!" Also hilarious was that Wes didn't even use a flatpick....

AlanN
Jun-08-2011, 12:11pm
The Montgomery tune 'Four on Six' was recorded by Tony on Acoustics (1979), I do believe. And MM was on da mandolin.

Marty Henrickson
Jun-08-2011, 2:16pm
From the Liner notes:

Tony Rice - Guitar
Todd Phillips - Bass
Sam Bush - Mandolin tracks 3 & 10
Fred Carpenter - Violin tracks 1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, & 15
Richard Greene - violin tracks 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 10, & 13
Mike Marshall - Mandolin tracks 6 & 8
John Reischman - Madolin tracks 1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 12, 14, & 15

coletrickle
Jun-08-2011, 9:37pm
Thanks Marty! This album just keeps growing on me. Sam Bush's solo on "Is that So" is great and the one on "Mars West" is amazing. Reischman's playing is fantastic too. So glad I finally got this.

Marty Henrickson
Jun-08-2011, 10:23pm
No problem, Cole. I actually haven't listened to this one a bunch. As much as I love Tony's instrumental work, and the way he always surrounds himself with other fabulous players, I'm such a big fan of Tony's singing that it's those CD's that include some vocal tunes that usually find their way onto my thumb drives to listen to in my truck. I just listened to "Is That So", and you're right, Sam's solo is great.