PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Pea Question

AnneFlies
Jun-07-2011, 1:08pm
I have a Loar LM-220VS for camping trips, but then I saw the Sweet Pea. Does anyone have a Sweet Pea? How do you like it? It looks small, so does it still sound like a mandolin, or does it sound more like a ukelele?

Thanks!

Anne.

JEStanek
Jun-07-2011, 3:20pm
It sounds like a mandolin with the bass turned way down. (The body is so small it has very little bass sound). They are very bright, comfortable and fun to play. The integral tailpiece is a nice design feature. I prefer the oval sound to the f holes on the Martin backpacker. I ultimately got rid of mine as I would just take a full size mandolin on trips. If space is a big concern, the sweet pea is a viable option.

Jamie

dcoventry
Jun-07-2011, 5:01pm
My 2 sweet peas sound sort of like banjos, but in a good way!

AnneFlies
Jun-07-2011, 9:11pm
Thanks for the replies & info. I guess I'll have to find one & listen to it before I decide if I want one. It's just so darn cute!

Anne.

JEStanek
Jun-07-2011, 9:49pm
To get one new is well over $250-300ish (List $375). You can hear a clip on Janet Davis's Site (http://www.janetdavismusic.com/w-sweetpea.html). That's a pretty accurate sound to my ears.

Jamie

dcoventry
Jun-07-2011, 11:55pm
Better post:

Each of my boys, 8 and 10, has a Sweet Pea topractice on, and they are a lot of fun, and pretty good instrument. Mine came set up perfectly and with great intonation. The tuners can be a little touchy, but not bad. the highs are real nice, the bass a little shallow, but on the whole a really fine little instrument.

Of course, Bruce signed them each with my kids names so they could tell them apart. That's a class act.

Brent Hutto
Jun-08-2011, 8:01am
Of course, Bruce signed them each with my kids names so they could tell them apart. That's a class act.

Yes, that is very cool indeed.

AnneFlies
Jun-09-2011, 3:03pm
Just bought a used Sweet Pea off the local Craigslist. Needs a little cleaning up and new strings, but it's in good condition. I think it will take awhile getting used to the smaller body and where my arm will rest on it. It's the perfect travel size, though, light & compact.

Bruce Weber signed this one, too, but only with his name. :-)

JEStanek
Jun-09-2011, 3:20pm
Bruce signs all of the Weber instruments. I hope you enjoy the Sweet Pea and it has mny fun travels with you.

Jamie

chriss
Jun-11-2011, 12:46pm
I've had one for several years, love it. Tone is OK, not great, but definitely a mando. Very good playability- neck is slightly smaller than my usual mando but I go back+forth without any issue. Tuners are great, no problem tuning + holds it well, except when big swings in temperature.

I travel way too much for business and it has been a life-saver. Stick it into my carry-on bag and it disappears. Built like a Mack truck- body + neck cut from a single solid piece of maple. I must have 100k miles on mine, air-trains-cars etc and no problems.

Backlineman
Jun-13-2011, 2:58pm
Love my Sweet Pea. It was my first mandolin! Always remember your first, right? It's been with me all over the world, and it's my "hanging on the wall next to the couch, most often played" mandolin. The tone is a bit small and boxy? as mentioned above, but I generally don't want to be making a real racket in most hotel rooms anyway. As the Sweet Pea was the first and only mandolin I really played for several years, I about fell over the first time I picked up a "real" full bodied mandolin, and said "so this is what a mandolin is supposed to sound like." So if you have Sweet Pea for travel, it will make you grateful for the tone of your other mandolin(s) when you get home.

AlteRocker
Aug-28-2011, 8:00am
New member here, and mandolin newbie, with a follow-up Sweet Pea question! I have one now--and it could really use a new set of strings. My question is, do you have to take off all the existing strings first to put on new ones? How does that tailpiece work? If you do have to take them all off, how do you get the bridge back in the right place afterwards? Any help really appreciated.

mandroid
Aug-28-2011, 11:28am
could really use a new set of strings. My question is, do you have to take off all the existing strings first to put on new ones? How does that tailpiece work? If you do have to take them all off, how do you get the bridge back in the right place afterwards? Any help really appreciated.
one string. or the pair at a time.. so the bridge stays put.

and the toggle that holds the loop opens when the tension is off.

Suggest light gage string sets .010" E strings ..

JEStanek
Aug-28-2011, 11:32am
Hey and welcome to the Cafe. You can change the strings one at a time. I use this method (http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/Mandolin/MandoString/mandostring1.html). The Sweet Pea tail piece will become very clear once you loosen a string. The latch is underneath on the back and they swing out. You can see it here (http://www.folkofthewood.com/page1352.htm). I may even have used J74s on mine... I sold it a few years back and can't remember.

Jamie

AlteRocker
Aug-28-2011, 12:06pm
Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get the chance, and let you all know how it goes. Very helpful links--that first one was really helpful, for what to do at the tuner end, too.

AlteRocker
Aug-28-2011, 12:13pm
Light strings sounds good--I'll pick some up. Thanks!