PDA

View Full Version : Your opinion Please

jstout
Jun-06-2011, 7:01pm
I am in the market for a mandolin, just pictures but, If you dont mind, Your opinion please.....................thanks
js

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250625940206&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

P.D. Kirby
Jun-06-2011, 7:49pm
I'm no authority on Vintage Gibsons but the BIN price seems a little rich given the current flat market conditions. If F5loar is around he can tell you just about anything you need to know about most if not all Gibson Mandolins. If he doesn't chime in you might consider send him a private message.

Welcome to the Cafe
Phillip

Jim Garber
Jun-06-2011, 10:15pm
While we are waiting for Tom...

I dunno... I am not a real fan of 1930s Gibsons (as opposed to twenties or even teens). I would however, ask the seller if they would override the No Returns Accepted and stand by their offering. I did that recently with a lower ticket item and the sller changed the listing. Most are pretty reasonable about it and frankly, I think it pretty foolish to put something up for close to $700 and expect people to just trust them. In any case, I think they are limiting the possibilities -- they will lose many potential bidders. If he/she refuses and sticks by that policy I would walk away.

f5loar
Jun-06-2011, 10:38pm
A '38 F4 in that mint of condition is pretty rare and no doubt would make a fine collector's piece. As a picker's choice I don't see it as that desirable at that price. I've seen a few of these that were coverted to F5s with new longer necks and new tops. Jesse McReynolds had one for years. But who in their right mind would do that today? The mid 30's to early 40's were not quite the great sounding mandolins as in the 20's but a few were exceptional. My '37 F5 is pretty exceptional but then it was hand picked by Dave Apollon. I've got a nice '42 F5 that was customed ordered with Super 400 appointments that would be considered rare and exceptional for a 40's. It would be hard to buy this F4 even at $6000 and not know what you are getting before picking on it. For that price I'd hold out for a beat up all original 20's.

Jack Roberts
Jun-06-2011, 10:41pm
The seller writes more about words about how great the case is than why you should pay seven grand for the instrument. If I were to consider it I would want to inspect it carefully and play it. Also, those tuners should be checked to verify they work o.k., I like the color. But I would offer somewhat less than the stated buy it now price. If you really like the idea of owning a 30's Gibson, take a plane to Tampa and have a look.

allenhopkins
Jun-07-2011, 12:17am
1940 F-4 available here (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/40gibsonf4_96388_fon565f.html) for $5.5K; 1942 available here, (http://www.vintagemandolin.com/42gibsonf4_97566_fon58134.html) same price. These have a flowerpot inlay, bit fancier than the diamond, and at least one has the original case.

I think $7K's a bit high; I'd make a $5-5.2K "best offer" and negotiate from there. As to whether it'll be as good as an earlier F-4, I'd hate to generalize; individual instruments can vary, widely, and it could be a gem or a dog. And I'd never contemplate spending anywhere near that amount of money on an instrument I hadn't played; that might involve a trial period, if you can't get to the seller's location. Only exception I'd make to that rule, under any circumstances, would be buying from a recognized and respected dealer (Mandolin Store, Folkmusician, Elderly, Gruhn, etc.). One thing that is in this mandolin's favor, as an investment rather than a player's instrument, is that late-vintage F-4's are rare, as stated above, and therefore wanted by collectors. But I'd negotiate down from the "Buy It Now" price, for sure.

jstout
Jun-07-2011, 1:34pm
Thanks men, for all the good advice, I thought it might be priced high myself, and I think you good folks confirmed that thought.
js