PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Banjo Mandolin

Harry Posternock
Jun-06-2011, 6:56am
729827297972980729777298172978I have come across this old Gibson instrument and am trying to find out the present value, what it would cost to restore it, and the restored value. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

allenhopkins
Jun-06-2011, 4:38pm
You have an early '20's "trap door" Gibson, probably a lower-end MB-0 or MB-1, judging by the lack of headstock ornamentation, although I think the MB-0 and MB-Jr may not have even had "The Gibson" inlaid. There may be a serial number or factory order number inside it somewhere, which would help in dating it exactly. Gibson MB "trap doors" have sold around $500 in decent playable shape. Can't guess on restoration costs without knowing what may be needed, other than the obvious head replacement. Original case is a big "plus," however. I'd take it to a good vintage dealer and get it checked over by an instrument tech. I've not seen one with "The Gibson" inlaid so far "down" the headstock, but it does seem you have an interesting vintage instrument there.

G7MOF
Jun-06-2011, 5:45pm
I have "The Gibson" written on the headstock of my A Mandolin which was under scrutiny in an earlier posting, It is written in just the same way as yours and I was told it could be a later addition to the instrument or one of those anomolies which crop up every so often.
Check out the posting called, "what is it" and look at the headstock on my mando.