PDA

View Full Version : Right Handed to Left Handed

yankees1
Jun-04-2011, 4:12pm
I have a right handed Eastman 505 A . My grandaughter would like to begin the mandolin but she is left handed. Does it make sense to just take the strings off and re-string in opposite arrangement rather than buying another mandolin ?

Brett Byers
Jun-04-2011, 4:48pm
you would need a new saddle and nut to accommodate the reversing of the string gauges. (the slots are slotted for particular string gauges). For the purpose of teaching your granddaughter to play, doing those two things would be sufficient.

John Soper
Jun-05-2011, 7:20am
Plenty of left-handed violinists and guitarists learned "backwards" using standard right-handed instruments played with standard "rightly" techniques. This might give her an advantage in left-handed facility on the instrument. Maybe as a confirmed righty, I should have learned on a lefty instrument?!?

Vincent Capostagno
Jun-05-2011, 1:07pm
Ever see a left-handed piano? Yet I'm sure there are many excellent left-handed pianists. And its not age dependant. I started at age 68 with no problems yet and I'm an obligate left hander when it comes to writing or playing any sports. Advantages? Its a lot easier to trade instruments with someone or try the sound of a new one in a store.