PDA

View Full Version : Where to go if you like mandolins

OldSausage
Jun-01-2011, 12:51pm
Google correlate is a handy tool that can break down the popularity of search terms by state. Which makes it easy for the mando-obsessed to quickly discover which state they ought to move to:

http://correlate.googlelabs.com/search?e=mandolin&t=all#

See you all in Vermont.

bones12
Jun-01-2011, 7:02pm
Tonight I only saw a moose and several loons; no mandolins were out and about. You need to know how to call them in. Doug in Vermont

montana
Jun-01-2011, 7:04pm
How did you get the name: 'Old Sausage' it sounds like a lose/lose situation.

JGWoods
Jun-02-2011, 7:06am
I put in banjo- West Virginia is the place to be for them...

Mandolin Mick
Jun-02-2011, 8:24am
In Wisconsin ... only online places like the Cafe, Mandolin World, etc.

JEStanek
Jun-02-2011, 8:40am
No need to move. I have several upstairs from me. Philaburbia has an active music scene that includes some mandolin. Interestingly, Cheddar Cheese is huge in Vermont too (http://correlate.googlelabs.com/search?e=cheddar+cheese&t=all#). Maybe Bill Busman can sell some additional Cheese Mandolins up there?

Maybe the folks in Vermont are searching for mandolins so often because it is harder to find them locally?

Jamie

mandopete
Jun-02-2011, 9:25am
Tierra Del Fuego?

Marty Henrickson
Jun-02-2011, 10:39am
Cheddar cheese AND mandolins? I'm a confirmed Southerner, but I may be headed to New England!

Actually, I agree with Jamie's logic. I'd rather live somewhere with more mandolins than mando-obsessives.

bones12
Jun-02-2011, 7:55pm
Many foundations for a happy life are found in Vermont: mandolins, mandolin makers, mandolin players, cheese, trout, friendly people, great live music and lots of good air. It hardly gets cold in the winter --only seasonably cool. Doug in Vermont

abuteague
Jun-02-2011, 8:17pm
Actually, I'm pretty sure those google results all all because of me. I've been searching day after day online for something to slice my carrots, but I don't want to spend $100 for it. http://www.rayzplace.com/personal/stuff.htm.:))

AKmusic
Jun-03-2011, 1:36am
Mandolin Cafe

Marty Henrickson
Jun-03-2011, 8:28am
I think the OP meant, "..besides the obvious!" ;)

BTW, from what I've seen, Alaska must have a pretty healthy music scene as well - especially to be so isolated.

Jim Garber
Jun-03-2011, 9:38am
I am not entirely sure what any of that data means. I typed in choro and found that Virginia is a hotbed(?) of choro activity. Is that what it means?

AKmusic
Jun-03-2011, 10:34am
I think the OP meant, "..besides the obvious!" ;) :disbelief: really? oh,,,,, well... ok.

Are you sure?!?

:grin:

BTW, from what I've seen, Alaska must have a pretty healthy music scene as well - especially to be so isolated.
Depends on how you define "healthy music scene". We do have a lot of "local" talent up here, but we don't have many folks coming up to perform.

Andrew DeMarco
Jun-03-2011, 10:43am
Google Insights has a few more interesting tools:
http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=mandolin&geo=US&cmpt=q

Also, if you search "bluegrass" by state in the google correlate tool, Tennessee is head and shoulders above anywhere else. :(

Marty Henrickson
Jun-03-2011, 11:15am
:disbelief: really? oh,,,,, well... ok.

Are you sure?!?

:grin:

Depends on how you define "healthy music scene". We do have a lot of "local" talent up here, but we don't have many folks coming up to perform.
Well, I heard that The Punch Brothers played up there recently, and I noticed that the Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band is playing up there soon....that's without even really researching it....maybe I'm just jealous.....;)

brianf
Jun-03-2011, 4:01pm
Tonight I only saw a moose and several loons; no mandolins were out and about. You need to know how to call them in. Doug in Vermont

Since I turned 87, my Weber doesn't like me anymore. It just sets in the corner and sulks. Guess I'll have to find it a friend.

Theo W.
Jun-03-2011, 4:18pm
I'm not sure if there is anything to do in Alaska other than play instruments. Mandolin is the obvious choice. :)

brianf
Jun-03-2011, 6:28pm
Many foundations for a happy life are found in Vermont: mandolins, mandolin makers, mandolin players, cheese, trout, friendly people, great live music and lots of good air. It hardly gets cold in the winter --only seasonably cool. Doug in Vermont

What?!? No maple syrup???

AKmusic
Jun-04-2011, 4:11pm
Well, I heard that The Punch Brothers played up there recently, and I noticed that the Peter Rowan Bluegrass Band is playing up there soon....that's without even really researching it....maybe I'm just jealous.....;)And that about covers it for this year.

:disbelief:

Seriously, I'm not saying we don't get any - we just don't get very many. You can probably count on one hand the bluegrass bands with a "name" that will make it up here each year. They are appreciated when they do.

I was born in Alabama, raised in Tennessee, and moved to Alaska from Mississippi (11yrs ago). Believe me when I say - folks down in the lower 48 have it in good measure (for the most part). Going to see and hear good music is always on our agenda when we make a trip to visit family. It always includes a side trip to Nashville. And we were down in Bessmer March of 2010 for induction ceremony at the ABBA Hall of Fame.

And Theo - there's plenty of other things to do up here. And most of them are worth being jealous about, if you are into the great outdoors at all. Alaska is truly an amazing place. But you are right - playing music occupies most all of my free time, and pretty much the same is true of our circle of friends. But, it would be that way anywhere I would live.

Theo W.
Jun-04-2011, 5:13pm
Haha, I was just kidding. Alaska is great! Especially the outdoors part. Over here in rural Colorado it's about the same.. Isolated, mountains, and lots of great sights!

brianf
Jun-09-2011, 9:44pm
Uh, I went down to the village about nine tonight, and saw quite a few loons.

Marty Henrickson
Jun-09-2011, 10:11pm
I was born in Alabama, raised in Tennessee, and moved to Alaska from Mississippi (11yrs ago). Believe me when I say - folks down in the lower 48 have it in good measure (for the most part). Going to see and hear good music is always on our agenda when we make a trip to visit family. It always includes a side trip to Nashville. And we were down in Bessmer March of 2010 for induction ceremony at the ABBA Hall of Fame.

That's cool, I live only about 20 minutes from Bessemer, but I haven't been to the ABMA event. Something else always comes up on that weekend.

pickloser
Jun-10-2011, 6:40am
induction ceremony at the ABBA Hall of Famev.
ABMA event
I'm glad you cleared this up. I was wondering about that ABBA Hall of Fame.
("She was a dancing queen....")

Marty Henrickson
Jun-10-2011, 3:50pm
Yeah, I noticed that, but let it go:grin:

jim_n_virginia
Jun-12-2011, 12:16am
I am not entirely sure what any of that data means. I typed in choro and found that Virginia is a hotbed(?) of choro activity. Is that what it means?

choro hotbed in Virginia? I don't think so ... :))

AKmusic
Jun-13-2011, 2:26pm
That's cool, I live only about 20 minutes from Bessemer, but I haven't been to the ABMA event. Something else always comes up on that weekend.

boy howdy, outstanding typing skills I'd say. Yes, ABMA.

...thanks for the "fix". :redface: