PDA

View Full Version : My new Morris F5

northbywest
May-31-2011, 5:09pm
Well, I've only had it for a couple weeks but I'm really thrilled with it. Sonny did a fantastic job on it all around. Sounded great right out of the case but she really opens up after playing a short while. Love the tobacco brown finish as well as the beautiful cocobola he uses for the fretboard, peghead veneer and armrest. I feel it really excels at single note projection and it's plenty loud. Playability? Oh, yes! :mandosmiley:

If you're in the market for an outstanding handmade mando but, like me, can't spend an arm and a leg then I encourage you to look into a Morris. He was a pleasure to deal with and the instrument is truley everything I had hoped for and more.

Ed Goist
May-31-2011, 6:09pm
Congratulations! She's a beauty!
Enjoy.

Clement Barrera-Ng
May-31-2011, 10:13pm
It is really beautiful indeed and congratulations on the new Morris. I just took possession of an '09 A4 that was on the classifieds a little while ago, and I could not be happier. To my ear, it has one of the closest sound to an old Gibson A, but with better playability and durability. I have yet to play a Morris A5 or F5 but if the A4 I have is any indication, yours must be outstanding.

Nonprophet
May-31-2011, 10:58pm
Nice mando! I've played a Morris A4 and A5, but never one of his f-bodies.

Enjoy!

NP

Ed Goist
May-31-2011, 11:09pm
Northbywest; what tonewoods did Sonny use on your F5?
My Morris A5 is Sitka over Big Leaf and it is a Cannon!
By the way, that is a beautiful stain on your F5!
Oh, and aren't Sonny's armrests "just the right size"?
Again, congratulations!

northbywest
May-31-2011, 11:47pm
Red spruce top with maple back and sides. You're right about the armrest! Feels perfect. Can't believe I haven't used one before and don't think I'll ever play without one now. Thanks for all the compliments. Sonny deserves all that! ; )

pickloser
Jun-01-2011, 8:13am
Ooohh--what a looker! Congratulations. Beauty, sound, playability, affordable price. Perfect!

Steve-o
Jun-04-2011, 9:10am
northbywest, Nice looking Morris there. Welcome to the club. Is that a french-polished varnish finish? It has such a glossy look.

Mandobart
Jun-04-2011, 10:19am
She is a beauty! Sonny is a great guy to work with. He always tells me he builds his instruments for sound and playability first, and everything of his I've heard or played bears that out. Enjoy!

mandopete
Jun-04-2011, 10:32am
Sweet!

northbywest
Jun-07-2011, 8:01am
Thanks, Steve-o! It's a nitro finish. He did do a great job on it though as it's very glossy and showcases the figuring nicely.
northbywest, Nice looking Morris there. Welcome to the club. Is that a french-polished varnish finish? It has such a glossy look.

The G
Jun-07-2011, 10:34am
Very nice indeed. Congradulations.