PDA

View Full Version : Washburn cremonatone #149793

shelgesen
May-31-2011, 7:52am
My father brought home this mandolin from Korea. All I know is that we were not allowed to play with it or touch it when we were young. Now I have it and have no idea as to its history, value, etc. No one in the house plays an instrument and I feel that it might be better off with someone that can enjoy it than to have it just sit here on a shelf. Any ideas that you can share will be greatly appreciated. It is in perfect shape! Thanks for the help and guidance.

JeffD
May-31-2011, 9:00am
I think I have read somewhere, (perhaps another thread on this very site), that Washburn dropped the Cremonatone name in 1910, so whatever you have is over 101 years old. Post some pictures if you can. It won't help me give you any more information, but I love looking at old bowbalcks!

Kidding aside, some pictures will help our army of experts to identify the instrument, and facts about it you would never have considered!

shelgesen
May-31-2011, 1:40pm
I think I have read somewhere, (perhaps another thread on this very site), that Washburn dropped the Cremonatone name in 1910, so whatever you have is over 101 years old. Post some pictures if you can. It won't help me give you any more information, but I love looking at old bowbalcks!

Kidding aside, some pictures will help our army of experts to identify the instrument, and facts about it you would never have considered!

Thanks for the information. I will dig up the camera and see if I can get some loaded. Not my area of expertise but I am so curious now I want to find out more about it!

allenhopkins
May-31-2011, 2:26pm
A post on the Washburn instruments forum (http://forums.washburn.com/) stated that "Cremonatone" mandolins were sold by Lyon & Healy under the Washburn label, between 1896 and 1907. By the way, did you know that "Washburn" was George W. Lyon's middle name, hence the brand label?

shelgesen
May-31-2011, 9:44pm
Wow, this forum has been great. I appreciate the help and I will continue to search for additional information. I am starting to think that I had better do a lot of research before I make any decisions on this piece. Thanks for your time, Allen.

brunello97
Jun-01-2011, 7:59am
Based on our friend, Keef (aka Hubert) Pleijsier's, book "Washburn, Prewar Instrument Styles" the 149793 SN would place this during the production years 1900 and '05, probably somewhere right in the middle. The company was building a LOT of mandolins during this period. His appendix with SN dates doesn't break it down any finer (but it is pretty good considering the complex history of the company.) Keef's book remains a highly recommended resource for those interested in Washburn instruments.

It sounds like you have an interesting family heirloom on your hands. Any idea what it was doing in Korea? Was this during the '50s war period there? Washburn made numerous models of mandolins, even the lower end ones feature very nice woods and good craft. In any event, given the number of these made and surprising number still surviving, it is not likely to be worth a lot of $$ unless it was a particularly high level model to begin with. Some photos of the mandolin would help folks offer opinions.

Mick

JeffD
Jun-01-2011, 8:03am
OK now I really want to see a picture.

shelgesen
Jun-05-2011, 10:26am
I do not know why it was in Korea but my father was a music (band and orchestra) teacher so I am sure that that was why he was attracted to it. I hope to post photos soon so I can get more help. I really appreciate your time and research in helping with this. I feel as though it is special and it is nice to know why. I just knew that it was special because he bought it!

Based on our friend, Keef (aka Hubert) Pleijsier's, book "Washburn, Prewar Instrument Styles" the 149793 SN would place this during the production years 1900 and '05, probably somewhere right in the middle. The company was building a LOT of mandolins during this period. His appendix with SN dates doesn't break it down any finer (but it is pretty good considering the complex history of the company.) Keef's book remains a highly recommended resource for those interested in Washburn instruments.

It sounds like you have an interesting family heirloom on your hands. Any idea what it was doing in Korea? Was this during the '50s war period there? Washburn made numerous models of mandolins, even the lower end ones feature very nice woods and good craft. In any event, given the number of these made and surprising number still surviving, it is not likely to be worth a lot of $$ unless it was a particularly high level model to begin with. Some photos of the mandolin would help folks offer opinions.

Mick