PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick: Brown's Fair Weather vs Fleck's BG Sessions

kmiller1610
May-30-2011, 4:37pm
I have totally gotten into Alison Brown's "Fair Weather" and have always loved Bela Fleck's "Tales from the Acoustic Planet II, The Bluegrass Sessions."

So if you had to pick?

Mike Snyder
May-30-2011, 4:43pm
Patently unfair question. Both are powerful stuff. I think Brown hit her stride with "Fair Weather", and it's her best stuff, in my ear.
Fleck had "Drive", which is more comparable. You've placed your question in one of my favorite neighborhoods. Powerful stuff.

Mike Bunting
May-30-2011, 4:52pm
Why would I have to pick one over the other? Is there some kind of competition going on that I don't know about? If I liked them both, I'd buy both CDs.

kmiller1610
May-30-2011, 5:20pm
Why would I have to pick one over the other? Is there some kind of competition going on that I don't know about? If I liked them both, I'd buy both CDs.

The idea is to explore the albums and to express personal tastes. Some people ( I would be one ) was not aware of "Fair Weather" even though both albums have a number of players who play on both.

Ivan Kelsall
May-31-2011, 12:36am
I'd totally agree with Mike Snyder. I wouldn't exactly say it was an 'unfair question',simply that both have their strong points ie.they're both terrific CD's all the way through. If i had to pick - well,seeing as i have all of their recordings (apart from the 'Flecktones' CD's - i have 1),i'd have to pick Alison Brown's "Fair Weather",if not for the title track,then for Sam Bush's great rendition of the Elvis Costello song,"Everyday I Write The Book",other than that,everything else is great as well,
Ivan