PDA

View Full Version : Graduation/gospel Bluegrass song suggestion

demotlj
May-26-2011, 10:35am
We have a bluegrass band that plays in church and we will be playing for our Senior Recognition Sunday when we recognize our graduating high school seniors. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of bluegrass songs that would be appropriate for that sort of thing. The song doesn't have to be specifically religious if the words are meaningful though, of course, it would be even better if it was. Fast, slow, profound, or light hearted -- I'm open to all suggestions.

Laurie

PAMandoMan
May-26-2011, 11:04pm
I can't think of too many songs that are aimed at high school kids in the bluegrass genre but have you considered 'Blessed Jesus hold my Hand'? It could work. After all it starts : As I travel thro' this pilgrim land/there is a friend who walks with me/leads me safely thro' the sinking sand/it's the Christ of Calvary/this would be my prayer dear Lord each day/to help me do the best I can... So that's the only song I can think of. I'm pretty sure it's public domain so it's likely in a songbook you have lying around if you don't know it already. It's up tempo and I think it's pretty easy to play.

KEB
May-27-2011, 4:45pm
How about "All the Good Times are Past and Gone" and "I wonder how the old folks are at home?" <j/k>

It's a bit light hearted, but "Hallelujah I'm Ready" might get a chuckle from them. "Precious memories" is a pretty tune that'll have the mothers tearing up.

catmandu2
May-27-2011, 6:08pm
"Romp in yer Skirt and Dance"...?

Mandolin Mick
May-30-2011, 6:19am
Bluegrass lends itself to Gospel music so well ... it's hard to pick just a couple! The event probably is passed so I won't make any suggestions ... but I'm curious as to what you chose?

Pete Counter
May-31-2011, 10:27am
I heard my mother call my name in prayer. That tune gets em all, men and women!