PDA

View Full Version : Rack mount Tuner for Stage/Live

patsites
May-24-2011, 3:17pm
Anyone have any luck tuning on stage while the band is still playing? I'm in a loud/jamgrassy band with drums and often try to retune during jams or grooves instead of between songs.

I currently have a Korg DTR-1000 and it's horrible. It doesn't pick up my G very well even when the stage is quiet let alone a whole band playing.

Accuracy isn't as key here as a hot signal and ability to focus on the mando frequency and notes.

I really appreciate any response.... I'm desperate for a better solution.

mandroid
May-24-2011, 8:44pm
Have you tried a Stomp box pedal tuner?, in your signal chain from your pickup.
It is way cheaper..

If you are playing acoustic into a mic, then a lollypop on a string pickup
stuck to the back would give you a signal for the tuner .

trouble may be the bands sound gear is ringing the soundboard of your mandolin.

retreat to a tuning Bunker ?..

Tim2723
May-24-2011, 10:05pm
Yeah, what he said. The problem isn't the tuner, it's getting the signal to it. If you're playing into a mic against drums, I salute you. I pity you, but I salute you. Under those conditions you'll need a solid box tuner fed by a pickup. I use the Boss TU-3 for that reason. It's not a rack unit, but it's solid as heck. Even if you don't play through the pickup, you need it to feed the tuner. A piezo bridge will do far better than a lolly on a string, as those turn the whole instrument into a giant microphone and drums know this instinctively. Drums will hunt you down like a pack of dogs. If the pickup is just sending to the tuner, you needn't worry about its tonal characteristics, just get the signal there in one piece. Think big, solid, undaunted signal to a straight forward, reliable tuner.