PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Larry Rice's Mando

Scotti Adams
May-24-2011, 7:23am
Here are some nice and up close pics of the mando

SkitownPicker
May-24-2011, 8:02am
Is that a pearl inlaid in the peg head scroll?

Scotti Adams
May-24-2011, 8:08am
Thats what it appears to be

AlanN
May-24-2011, 8:35am
Lots of great music made on that there box, thanks for posting those, Scotti

Scotti Adams
May-24-2011, 9:52am
Yea. And just think of the stories it could tell. Larry is one of the very few who stuck with the same axe in his career.

Hendrik Ahrend
May-25-2011, 4:04am
Yea. And just think of the stories it could tell. Larry is one of the very few who stuck with the same axe in his career.
He got a great sound out of that Mando. Years ago, when I met Larry over here in Germany, he told me a story about how the neck joint suddenly gave in (broke?) after a vast change in humidity and how - if I remember correctly - it got fixed with a screw. In fact, there is not much left of the bridge on his mandolin. Does anybody know more about that?

AlanN
May-25-2011, 6:00am
Larry had a style. He would play melodically, and wrote some good mandolin tunes. And on tunes like 9 Lb. Hammer and others, he would play off notes, flatted this and that, to get an almost jarring sound. I dug it. And he was a Rice boy, so there was a good gene pool to draw from. Interesting to contrast his style and that of his brother, on tunes like Mr. Poverty.

Fretbear
May-25-2011, 7:13am
He's a great player to cop solos and licks from; he often started his solos straight enough that they are pretty easy to follow, and would then wind up with a kind of rag-timey take on the endings, which made them interesting sounding, but not impossible to figure out (if you want to take the time)

f5loar
May-25-2011, 7:54am
Larry bought his '59 F5 used and it has had lots of alterations to it likely around the time of the neck reset. Fingerboard replaced with a tree of life type inlay fingerboard. It was refinished to a more Loar-like finish. It has been regraduated too. It was and still remains a real workhorse. I assume it is still in the hands of his family. Mr. Poverty was a real innovative LP at the time of it's release.

mandopete
May-25-2011, 11:17am
Cool photo's - thanks for sharing. I did not know he was a doctor. What kind?

AlanN
May-25-2011, 11:35am
Ear, Nose and Wallet....oh wait, that was Starling.

re simmers
May-25-2011, 12:18pm
He once told me he worked for the 'power company' in FL.

Great photos. A great player. He earned the title, doctor.

Bob