PDA

View Full Version : Coal Porters

adgefan
Nov-08-2004, 7:43am
Just found out the Coal Porters (featuring Sid Griffin on mando) will be playing nearby in a couple of weeks. I must admit I've never heard of them but their website seems to suggest they are Monroe style bluegrassers.

Anybody know any more about them? Are they worth the ~$15 they're charging?

Toby
Nov-09-2004, 8:49pm
Coal Porter isn't that a great beer from Atlantic Brewing Company?

jefflester
Nov-10-2004, 7:09pm
Interesting. I was a Long Ryders fan and checked out a couple of the early Coal Porters albums. But back then they were definitely a rock band (with a country tilt). I wasn't aware of what Sid's been up to lately, but it certainly looks like pretty straight bluegrass. I'd say listen to the two MP3s (live July 28, 2004) on sidgriffin.com and if you like them, go for it. Compared to the early CP tracks (samples there also) it's hard to really call the group by the same name.

Taube Marks
Nov-17-2004, 1:21pm
Sid was at the last Sore Fingers week at Kingham (UK) where were were hunkered down with Roland White. He was doing some bluegrass and CW before that though, when the new Border's opened in Oxford four years ago he was playing a mandolin then.

Taube

adgefan
Nov-19-2004, 8:19am
Sid was at the last Sore Fingers week at Kingham (UK)
Hey, I was at Sorefingers too http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Didn't get a chance to meet everyone though so must have missed Sid. Sounds like reason enough to go to his gig!

Dave Hicks
Nov-19-2004, 8:57am
I heard these guys at the Kendallville, IN, BG festival a couple months ago. I enjoyed their set, but they're pretty laid back vocally and instrumentally; their style is not particularly tight and hard-hitting.