PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Sam Bush !

Shawn Gambrel
May-22-2011, 1:28pm
Well this weekend my favorite singer and one of my favorite mandolin players played at the Great Smokey Mountains which is a hour from where i live and a great place to visit.

I talked mom and dad into taking me to it so we could see him and when we got there he was walking around the alleys exactly where i parked. At first i couldnt believe myself but then i stopped and seen who it was and there was Sam Bush.

Well i was all excited i jumped out of my truck ran over there and started talking to him. He is really one of then nicest guys anyone could ever meet and talk too. He walked around the festival 4 or 5 times in the 2 hours before his show talking to everybody.

Here is a picture of me and sam bush.. He made a joke about me saying '' I sure make a man stand up straight'' When he said that he was smiling on his tip toes with his head cocked back in my picture.. I guess he said that cause im almost 6'5 :)

Mandolin Mick
May-22-2011, 1:33pm
Congratulations!!! I'd love to meet him too ...

I had the same experience with Jesse McReynolds at Bean Blossom last year, and it was an experience I'll never forget. We talked mandolin and music and had a high time!!!

These guys are usually total gentlemen and enjoy metting their fans. :)

Kevin Stevens
May-22-2011, 1:33pm
That's pretty cool! How was the show??

Shawn Gambrel
May-22-2011, 1:38pm
Mick it was awsome ! Dan Tyminski was there last year but he wouldnt talk to anyone if you tried to speak to him.

Kevin the show was great! Balsam Range was there and they where great too ! Sam played a variety of songs too.. He even played the fiddle some

Miked
May-22-2011, 2:24pm
Great experience Shawn! Sam sounds like a super nice guy!

banjoboy
May-22-2011, 2:45pm
Mick it was awsome ! Dan Tyminski was there last year but he wouldnt talk to anyone if you tried to speak to him.

Kevin the show was great! Balsam Range was there and they where great too ! Sam played a variety of songs too.. He even played the fiddle some

With regard to Dan Tyminski, that was probably a fluke thing. I can only assume that even he is human and has his off days. He was out in the Spokane, WA area last year with his band, and he spent a ton of time talking with fans after his show.

re simmers
May-22-2011, 4:41pm
I met Sam at Gettysburg a few years ago. Great guy.

I met Tyminski there last year. He was great, too. I'm sure there are times when they all tire of making small talk with people they don't know.

Back to Sam: he played on the workshop stage with several other mandolin pickers. He treated everyone with class. Oh yes, he is a super picker.....the best IMHO, and what a fiddler.

Bob

chipotle
May-22-2011, 11:32pm
Thats a great story Shawn, thanks for posting. It's good to hear since Sam does come off as a very genuine and amiable guy. I know when he played in Chattanooga last year, in a small venue, he was in the audience for a while watching the local opening act and chatting with fans. Great show as well!