PDA

View Full Version : Sad News And Suggestions Needed For Air Travel

journeybear
May-22-2011, 8:54am
I've been away from the Café for a few days because of a very sad circumstance. My younger brother died Thursday of a massive heart attack. This was a shock to us all, as he was in fairly good health. Since then I have been busy making travel plans and other unavoidable matters - including having to do a brunch gig the next morning - and even ATT which knocked my phone out while making an installation next door. :disbelief: So I haven't been able to spend any time here, one of my favorite hangouts.

But I have run into a bit of a glitch with an aspect of this which I hope some people have some insight into - carry-on restrictions. Apparently Delta has a size limit of 45" - L + W + H - and my Gibson A in its gig bag measures 30" x 12.5" x 5" - 2.5" over the limit. Are they going to give me a hassle over this? Also, the info page says passengers are allowed one carry-on and one personal item, but the personal item is much smaller, more like a laptop or briefcase. So it's like, suitcase or mandolin. :confused:

I would appreciate if anyone who has traveled by plane recently knows whether airlines are flexible in this area - specifically Delta and American, though more general info will probably be helpful. I haven't flown with an instrument in four years, and I was able to put my F-12 in its rectangular hard case in a closet, and stow a carry-on bag. I hear things have changed, so I would like to hear some more recent info.

Thanks! :mandosmiley:

John Kasley
May-22-2011, 9:38am
I flew American last October to the Classical Mandolin Society of America Convention in Seattle with my Calton case in the overhead bin. It's just a bit longer than the max length allowed for a carry on baggage. Route was Richmond-Chicago-Seattle.
When I researched American's baggage rules at the time, they said that a guitar was allowed in the overhead bin as your one carry-on item. I figured that a mandolin being smaller than most guitars meant that I should not run into a problem. I made a copy of the rule to carry with me just in case I was challenged. I wasn't. Neither the gate agents or flight attendants gave it a second look.

However, things change so you might check out American's web site and see if the guitar exception is still available.

I haven't flown Delta with my instrument in a couple of years, but didn't run into any problems then. Again, things change so check their website as well.

Mandolin Mick
May-22-2011, 9:44am
Steve-

So sorry to hear of your brother's passing ...

I flew Delta last year from Milwaukee to Indianapolis and back for Bean Blossom and had no problems with my Gibson and it's hardshell case. Stored it in the overhead on the front of the plane.

Ken Scarbrough
May-22-2011, 9:45am
My heart goes out to you in the passing of your younger brother. I am sorry that I do not have any travel suggestions as I just purchased my first mando. Have a safe trip and may God be with you and yours.

lenf12
May-22-2011, 9:45am
Many heartfelt condolences for your loss JB. I've lost both of my parents but still have my 4 siblings so I can't imagine the shock of losing a brother or sister. We are all with you during this difficult time and you and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

I have frequently traveled with a mandolin and never had any trouble with the airlines. I have not traveled on Delta or American so I don't want to state definitively that it won't happen but my overall experience is that a mandolin in a gigbag is small enough so that it shouldn't be a problem. It is kind of inconspicuous compared to what many travelers carry onboard and you certainly won't want to draw attention to yourself. At boarding time, just sling it over your shoulder and confidently board your flight. Be careful with placing it in the overhead compartment (others may place their carryon luggage on top of it) or better yet, place it under the seat by your feet. Good luck.

We feel for ya JB,
Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Don Julin
May-22-2011, 9:55am
Sorry to hear about your loss. I fly quite a bit on Delta with my mandolin in a leather gig bag. I rarely run into any issues at all. The only catch could be if the plane is full and you get on the plane late. The overheads can fill up and then there is nowhere to put the mando. Sometimes they will let you put it under the seat in front of you, but not always. One thing to do while boarding is wear the mandolin on your back (straps) if possible. This seems to get less attention than carrying it in your hand. whatever you do, don't ask them if it is OK. Just get on the plane like you done it a thousand times and nobody will even give you a second look. If the plane is full and the overheads are full also, you may be required to gate check it. Although this is not ideal, gate checked items get handled much gentler than regular luggage.

michaelpthompson
May-22-2011, 9:55am
Condolences on your loss. You might also check out the recent thread on flying (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?73039-flying-with-mandolin&highlight=flying) with a mandolin.

Ed Goist
May-22-2011, 10:39am
Hi Steve:
Unfortunately I can not provide any information about flying with an instrument.
However, I want to offer my deepest condolences to you and your family. I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts are with you.
All my best;
Ed

Brett Byers
May-22-2011, 10:51am
Steve, I'm very sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. I just flew Delta last month from Bozeman>Minneapolis>Indianapolis, and I carried on my laptop case and a small suitcase that exceeded the size limits by about 3" all the way around. When I tried to fit it in the little box they have at the counter to check the size, it wasn't even close. Nobody said a word to me, and I had no issues whatsoever. I stored my laptop under the seat in front of me, and put my other bag in the overhead compartment. Smooth sailing. Every time I've ever carried on a mandolin one of the attendants has offered to put it in the coat closet for me, regardless of airline.
Safe travels.

journeybear
May-22-2011, 10:52am
Thanks for all the kind words. You guys are the best. I have read a few of these threads, starting with United Breaks Guitars (remember that?), and I remember that tip about slinging it over the shoulder and breezing through as innocuously as possible. I think once I get on board I will wait until most everyone else is settled so I can put my mandolin on top.

One weird thing I have found is that because of the impending holiday, the return trips (Thursday) on American are booked up with people flying south, and if I don't leave until Saturday I would be able to save a couple hundred bucks by taking advantage of the emergency/compassion discount. I would just have to find something to do till then. Like go to Jeff D's wingding. ;)

Interesting, Brett. I am wondering whether it would fit into this small soft suitcase I have, so I would have just the one piece of luggage ...

Theo W.
May-22-2011, 11:24am
I'm so sorry for your loss! I'd suggest putting some soft wrapping around your mando in its case if you can. Just in case!

George R. Lane
May-22-2011, 11:36am
I feel for your loss and please accept my condolences.

ptritz
May-22-2011, 12:28pm
Journeybear -

I'm very sorry for your loss.

I don't think you should have any trouble carrying your mandolin onto a Delta flight. I've carried my mandola on Delta flights quite a few times and it's never been an issue. Here's what it says on Delta's website about their policy regarding musical instruments:

Musical Instruments
Traveling with a musical instrument? Musical instruments and/or equipment are accepted as checked baggage, carry-on baggage, or cabin-seat baggage depending on the size and shape. Please help us to keep your instrument safe by bringing it in a hard-shell case.
What Musical Instruments Can Be Checked?
Musical instruments or equipment can be checked if the total linear dimension (length+width+height) does not exceed 120 inches (305 cm) and provided the weight, including the case, does not exceed 100 lbs. (45 kg).

Standard rules and fees for overweight and oversized baggage
What Musical Instruments Can Be Carried On?
Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta operated flights1. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. If adequate space is not available, then the item must be checked and fees will apply.
What Musical Instrument Might Need A Seat Of Its Own?
You may purchase a full fare ticket for an item that you feel is too fragile to be handled as checked baggage. You may stow the baggage in any passenger seat with a bulkhead or divider in front of the compartment. The following restrictions apply. The item:
Must not exceed 100 lbs. (45 kg)
Must be packaged or covered in a way to avoid injury to other passengers
Must be properly secured by a seatbelt to avoid shifting during flight
Must not restrict access to, or use of, any required emergency or regular exits or aisle of the cabin
Must not obscure any passenger's view of seatbelt, no smoking, or exit signs
Must not contain dangerous goods
Must be secured in a seat in the same cabin as the owner and preferably next to the own

sunburst
May-22-2011, 12:34pm
Condolences first, it's tough loosing a family member.
I flew Delta a year or so ago with a guitar in a Calton case, planning to gate check it, but ended up being allowed to carry it onto three separate planes one way and two the other. No guarantees, though. Yes, a jumbo Calton guitar case will fit in the overhead of most larger planes.

journeybear
May-22-2011, 12:44pm
Thanks for all the input and kind words. After reviewing pricing and such I am probably not going to go Delta, but thanks for all that, ptritz. Interesting that they didn't mention that in the carry-on page - those dimensions are obviously larger than the 45 limit - but I guess this is a different consideration and on a different page. BTW, don't I wish I had a Calton! Or similar. Just a soft gig bag ... no worries (much), just be careful, and attentive ... :whistling:

I am still unsure whether this would count as my one and only carry-on. If so, I wonder what to do about clothes. Hmmm ...

Lou Giordano
May-22-2011, 12:49pm
I am very sorry for your loss JB.

Dave Gumbart
May-22-2011, 1:12pm
Journeybear - I'm very sorry to hear about your brother. My thoughts are with you and your family. A big ol' Internet hug and many positive vibes are being sent your way.

Dave

LKN2MYIS
May-22-2011, 1:30pm
I am very sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a love one, whether expected or unexpected.

Flying with a mandolin: I'm a travel agent and deal with airlines all the time. I have MANY contact within the air community. Whether or not you will be allowed to carry it on will depend on what worker is at the gate. Know that mandolins do NOT meet the minimum requirements for a carry-on, and they are 100% in their rights to ask you to gate check it. Is it possible that the gate agent will let you on? Sure. It happens. But if they deny you boarding with it, are you prepared to check it in with the case the mandolin is in? Probably not.

The other point to make - and even as a guitarist / mandolinist, I support this - is why try to take space away from someone elses carry-on that has adhered to the regulations? As musicians, we bring joy to ourselves and others with our music. We do
not have the right to feel above the rules everyone is expected to follow.

My advice: get a good case and check it in. Or ship it ahead. Or if it's incredibly valuable and you don't want to let it out of your sight, but it a seat.

I ran into Michael Daves at LaGuardia Airport one year on his way to Merlefest, I believe it was. He was denied boarding with his mandolin. No wanting to fly checking it in, he missed his flight, lost money, and ended up driving.

Is it really worth it to take the chance for both you and your mandolin? That's a call you have to make for yourself.

Bottom line - if you feel lucky, do it. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

You can get on if you are lucky, people do. But remember you may not be one of them. Mandolins do not conform to carry-on dimensions.

Please feel free to PM me if you choose.

rgray
May-22-2011, 2:31pm
My heartfelt condolences. My younger (and only) brother passed suddenly 7 years ago at the age of 42 and I know the heartbreak. Don't be afraid to reach out to your loved ones at this time and remember that time does heal.

As for your mandolin travels, the musical instrument rules tend to trump the standard size rules. I believe that years back some airlines started some policies that severely limited musical instrument travel. The threat of a boycott by one of the largest musician association/union changed their minds.

LKN2MYIS
May-22-2011, 2:37pm
My heartfelt condolences. My younger (and only) brother passed suddenly 7 years ago at the age of 42 and I know the heartbreak. Don't be afraid to reach out to your loved ones at this time and remember that time does heal.

As for your mandolin travels, the musical instrument rules tend to trump the standard size rules. I believe that years back some airlines started some policies that severely limited musical instrument travel. The threat of a boycott by one of the largest musician association/union changed their minds.

That is not correct.

Airline personnel MAY at THEIR CONVENIENCE allow you to carry the instrument on board. However, it does not have any precedence over standard carry-on baggage regulations.

If the plane has plenty of empty space in it, at THEIR discretion, they MAY allow you to carry it on.

It is a gamble at best. Works sometimes, doesn't work sometimes.

Dave Reiner
May-22-2011, 3:01pm
Hello JB-

I'm sorry to hear of this news. You know I fly into KW all the time with a mandolin, from various cities. Usually I carry a mando in a form-fitting case and a rather small briefcase/backpack. Check the suitcase.

Never had problems with American or USAir, occasionally with Delta. Whatever airline you fly, get near the front of the boarding line, and also try to get a seat near the back or a window so you're boarding earlier.

Best regards.
Dave

rgray
May-22-2011, 3:17pm
That is not correct.

Airline personnel MAY at THEIR CONVENIENCE allow you to carry the instrument on board. However, it does not have any precedence over standard carry-on baggage regulations.

If the plane has plenty of empty space in it, at THEIR discretion, they MAY allow you to carry it on.

It is a gamble at best. Works sometimes, doesn't work sometimes.

"Trump" may not have been the best word. But, using Delta as an example, their carry-on rules state "Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height. Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm)."
Then their specialty rules state, "Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta operated flights1. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. If adequate space is not available, then the item must be checked and fees will apply."
It doesn't seem that a guitar case will ever meet the 22"x14"x9" limit so it seems those limits don't apply to musical instruments. But it still does have to fit in the overhead no matter what. The question I would have is the term "at the time of boarding". If I am last to board a standard larger aircraft, I may be out of luck as all the spaces are filled. If I'm first, there is obviously room for my mandolin and the guy boarding last with a suitcase may now be out of luck. If boarding a puddle jumper, with very limited overhead, then it may be I don't even get the option to try the overhead.

journeybear
May-22-2011, 3:50pm
Thanks for all the well wishes and advice. John (LKN2MYIS) - wish I'd known there was a travel agent here. I would have been happy to have let you handle this! What a nuisance! I am leaning toward a bereavement-discounted flight through American that is pretty resonable, and am hoping that the sad look in my eyes coupled with whatever the printout says will gain some sympathy from the operatives. ;)

LKN2MYIS
May-22-2011, 3:58pm
"Trump" may not have been the best word. But, using Delta as an example, their carry-on rules state "Baggage may not exceed 45 linear inches (or 115 cm) in combined length, width, and height. Baggage must fit easily in the Carry-on Baggage Check, which is located near the check-in counters and at the gate and is approximately 22" x 14" x 9" (or 56 x 36 x 23 cm)."
Then their specialty rules state, "Guitars and other smaller musical instruments, such as violins, will be accepted as your free carry-on baggage item on Delta operated flights1. These items must easily fit in the overhead bin or other approved storage location in the cabin, based on available space at the time of boarding. If adequate space is not available, then the item must be checked and fees will apply."
It doesn't seem that a guitar case will ever meet the 22"x14"x9" limit so it seems those limits don't apply to musical instruments. But it still does have to fit in the overhead no matter what. The question I would have is the term "at the time of boarding". If I am last to board a standard larger aircraft, I may be out of luck as all the spaces are filled. If I'm first, there is obviously room for my mandolin and the guy boarding last with a suitcase may now be out of luck. If boarding a puddle jumper, with very limited overhead, then it may be I don't even get the option to try the overhead.

True, except that the person who makes the final decisions is the gate check person. And it is up to their discretion what will be allowed on and what won't be allowed on, based on their judgement.

"Based on adequate space" is the operative phrase in their declaration. Another is 'easily fit'. It is up to the person at the gate to decide what goes on and what doesn't, based on what they feel either has already gone onto the plane or what they will believe goes on.

And the 'carry-on bag check box' is a fixed rectangular size. Even though the 'rules' say a total of X amount of inches is permissable, if they have any question, they'll make you put it in the box. If the item protrudes above their shaped box, they can - and do - tell you it can't be carried on.

'At the time of boarding' refers to when they announce boarding, not when you or anyone else particularly boards, whether it be first or last. The desk crew will look
at the boarding list and think, 'Pretty full plane, we'll have to watch the carry-on stuff' or not.

I know a LOT of airline workers, and a lot of Delta employees. If you choose to take the chance and take it to the airport, and are denied the ability to carry it on, please don't blame the airlines.

People can - and do - try to argue this point with airline employees all the time. And if you are at the point of arguing, you have already lost. Bottom line is it's your instrument. If you want to take the gamble and try to board with it, you may be lucky and get on. Then again, you may not be lucky - then what are your options?

Randi Gormley
May-22-2011, 4:07pm
JB - so sorry for your loss. Please accept my condolences.
The last time I flew (in December) I had my laptop and my mandolin in a gig bag plus a bunch of winter paraphernalia (hat, gloves, coat, scarf) most of which I was carrying by the time I got on the plane. I slung the mandolin over my back and carried the computer and coat and stuff and nobody looked twice at me as I boarded even though I was pretty well buried under the clothes. I've certainly seen people with rolling carryons bigger than my mandolin; the average baby stroller is bigger, for one thing. Although I don't know if it helps to stand by someone with nothing in their hands or someone with a stroller and baby seat and diaper bag and purse and backpack and rolling luggage ...

journeybear
May-22-2011, 4:13pm
Thanks, Randi. I ended up going with the deal from American. I am not crazy about staying till Saturday, but it will be good to get away. Apparently they allow, in addition to the 45" luggage item, a small personal item - laptop, small backpack - 36". My eyes lit up. I have one of those, and I believe it will hold all the clothes I need. I have a feeling they will let me slide on the 2.5" overage, if they even notice it.

BTW, I don't know where you are in CT, but maybe some of us old Nutmeggers could meet up for jam on Friday night. I will be staying in the suburbs of New Haven. PM me if this is possible.

Jim Ferguson
May-22-2011, 4:46pm
Tragic loss JB.......will keep you & your clan in my thoughts & prayers.
I have traveled many a time with my Gibson F-9 and have never had a problem taking the mando on any airline as my personal item......I stick it in the overhead & have never had a problem. Of course, I am using a hard shell case......you have a gig bag so just be extra careful who is slamming their brief cases & backpacks etc into your mando.
Caveat.......having said the above, obviously, I cannot guarantee that Delta won't give you grief......I hope all works out for the travel.
Peace,
Jim

journeybear
May-22-2011, 7:37pm
Thanks. I think it's going to be all right. I'm going American, not Delta, but I don't know how much it matters. As it turns out, the e-ticket didn't specify bereavement. I may have to print it again and type it in somewhere, just for good measure. ;) But I think as long as I make an effort to conform to their rules I will be perceived in a better light than others (sure to be one or two) who may display worse manners.

I may have to start a different thread to see about connecting with other people there to do some picking and/or quaffing of brews. I should be in the mood for both come Friday. I know there are some members around, though I am drawing a blank other than the guy from Milksop: Unsung, whose name escapes me.

barry k
May-22-2011, 7:45pm
May we extend our condolences for your sudden loss.

Miked
May-22-2011, 10:31pm
JB - I'm so sorry for your loss. My prayers go out to you and your family.

I've flown many times with my F-9 and never had a problem using the overhead compartment. I normally check a bag and have my computer and mandolin as carry-ons. I don't think you'll have any problems carrying it on; just try to board as early as possible. My only concern would be the soft gigbag. Keep an eye on it so anyone putting stuff next to it is aware that it's an expensive instrument.

Ivan Kelsall
May-23-2011, 2:07am
JB - I'm sorry to learn of your brother's death,my heartfelt condolences. Ain't it mostly the case,at the time of greatest loss,you have a time of greatest hassle of one sort or another,right when you just DON'T need it !,
Ivan

journeybear
May-23-2011, 4:04am
Thanks, guys. Yes, I'm a bit worried about the gig bag, but my only hardshell case is a big rectangle and I am not going to try that! I'll just put it on top and hope for the best. Most people aren't complete idiots (leastways I like to think so) and will understand there is something fragile in there. I will probably ask the attendants if I can put it in their closet; that has worked before.

So true, Ivan - timing on these things always sucks. And in addition, my technological infrastructure suffered two attacks over the weekend. My bank recently merged or got bought up, and there have been a few times when access was denied while they jiggered the system - like this weekend. So I have been unable to access my account even to determine the balance, and have held off on making a deposit because I don't want it to get lost. Flying Tuesday does enable me to get that straightened out on Monday. Even better - Saturday my neighbors had uverse installed, and somehow while doing that the ATT guy knocked out my phone connection. Just before going into work I picked up my phone to try to suss out the bereavement discount plan, and no dial tone! :disbelief: (Yes, I have a land line. I am a dinosaur. I have a VCR too. And a cassette deck. And a record player. :-p ) During break I got customer service on the line and, managing to keep my anger in check, got some reassurance. To their credit, the serviceman came around before 9 AM on Sunday and fixed it. But oh boy, of all times for this to happen! Just gotta smile and shake tour head sometimes ... ;)

Raganlarry
May-23-2011, 6:29am
You and yours are in our prayers Jb.

Josh Kaplan
May-23-2011, 6:42am
I'm very sorry to learn of your loss, JB. We just never know.

It's a process and it will take some time, but things will come together.

-Josh

rgray
May-23-2011, 7:27am
True, except that the person who makes the final decisions is the gate check person. And it is up to their discretion what will be allowed on and what won't be allowed on, based on their judgement.
People can - and do - try to argue this point with airline employees all the time. And if you are at the point of arguing, you have already lost. Bottom line is it's your instrument. If you want to take the gamble and try to board with it, you may be lucky and get on. Then again, you may not be lucky - then what are your options?

Thanks for the info. My original thought was the written rules do not automatically exclude mandolins but it appears those same written rules give the agents a lot of leeway with interpretation and particular flight circumstances. Considering current security issues and press coverage about airline employees exercising their lawful discretionary powers, I would agree that arguing is a total waste of time.

One question I do have is, if denied at the gate, do you still have to pay the checked bag fee. I have flown several times where the agents ask for volunteers to gate check their carry-ons due to expected excess. I have volunteered (my suitcase or backpack), hand it over at the aircraft door, pick it up at the door, and never pay a fee. It would seem that this same free gate check would/should apply if you didn't break airline rules but the agent deemed it necessary to deny your carry-on based on professional discretion.

Dan Hoover
May-23-2011, 8:50am
condolences jb..thought's are with you and family..

bobby bill
May-23-2011, 9:04am
Sorry about the loss of your brother.

I have taken American at least once a year between Austin and Chicago for the last ten years or so. Took my mandolin everytime -never asked permission and never had a problem. I put it in the overhead. You definitely need your mandolin during times like this.

journeybear
May-23-2011, 11:06am
Thanks everyone. You guys are aces! I guess I'll find out in less than 24 hours. Not crazy about flying anyway ... :whistling:

Loretta Callahan
May-23-2011, 5:56pm
I'll light a candle for your brother, family and loved ones. Good luck with your traveling.

Jim MacDaniel
May-23-2011, 6:55pm
I'm so sorry to hear of your news, JB. A few years ago we also lost my wife's brother unexpectedly and long before his time, so I feel your pain, and you have my sincerest condolences.

...I am still unsure whether this would count as my one and only carry-on. If so, I wonder what to do about clothes. Hmmm ...

When I travel for work for a few days, I can usually try to travel with just my laptop bag, packing spare clothes (another pair of slacks, spare underwear & socks, etc.) and toiletries in the computer bag, and wear or carry the bulkier items I'll need such as shoes and jacket. Depending upon how lightly you can pack and how roomy your gig bag is, perhaps you can try the same with your gig bag?That way you only have to worry about one carry-on, won't have to check a bag, and the clothing in the gig bag will provide a little extra padding for your instrument.

Jim Garber
May-24-2011, 8:29am
I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.

wellvis@well.com
May-24-2011, 9:43am
I'm sorry to hear of your loss, John. My condolences to you and your family.
Having just returned yesterday from Hartford, CT to San Francisco, CA via Minneapolis, MN on Delta, I can confirm that you will have no problems carrying your mandolin on board the aircraft. I brought my daughter's tenor ukulele (which is certainly larger than your mandolin) and it fit in all the overhead bins with no problem. Be nice to the airline personnel, be early if you can help it, and they'll give you no problems in return.

CES
May-24-2011, 10:44am
JB, you and your family are in my prayers...

Hopefully you're in the air at this point, mandolin safely onboard!!

garyedelman
May-24-2011, 11:06am
JB- Sorry to hear of your loss. Hope your family
is on its way to recovering from this sad event.

One thing that has helped, is that I always carry a copy
of the TSA rules with me. Once I handed it to a fellow
muscian traveling with an instrument who was getting hassled
about carrying on, I think a guitar. It cleared up the issue
instantly.

It's one page, and you can down load it from the TSA website.
If you have a color printer it's even more impressive as it
downloads on TSA letterhead. Find it here:
www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1235.shtm

Good luck
Gary

Paul Kotapish
May-24-2011, 3:34pm
JB-Let me add my condolences, too.

I have taken hundreds of flights with the mandolin--mostly in a big Calton--and have never had anyone try to stop me from carrying it on--even on very small planes. It will fit in virtually any overhead compartment.

On a couple of recent trips I've carried on both a mandolin and a guitar with nobody blinking.

A few tips:

Don't ask permission. Just lurk on the perimeter of the boarding area and pounce when your zone is called.

Do NOT try to fit the case into the little box at the gate. Stay away from that dang thing.

Get a strap for the case and sling it over your shoulder--on the shoulder opposite the side of the ticket taker. If it's in a gig bag or standard A-style case, it will be plenty small enough not to raise red flags.

You should be able to get both the mandolin and a small carry-on suitcase on board without hassle.

If the flight is full and you you are challenged about your carry-on items:

DO NOT get confrontational. Ask--meekly--if the person has the AUTHORITY to help you. Gate agents like to demonstrate that they have authority, and most of them actually do like helping people.

Do not be shy about pulling the bereavement card. Some agents will be callously immune to your real needs at this time, but most will go out of their way to help you out.

If push comes to shove, gate check your suitcase and carry on the mandolin.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out.

journeybear
May-24-2011, 9:17pm
Arrived alive. The worst part was a long, laborious, and nauseating shuttle drive from LaGuardia to Grand Central mostly on surface roads, rush hour, bumper to bumper, and herky-jerky. Took more than an hour. Got there just in time for the express train, and made a beeline for the head to hurl. Awful. A bit of snooze on the way up then dinner at me and my friend's favorite Mongolian barbecue set me right. Whew! Getting psyched for tomorrow! ;-)

I ended up doing what several suggested - slinging it over my shoulder and looking innocuous - and had no problem whatsoever. The majority of carry-on bags were substantially larger and attracted no attention. Go figure. My little black backpack sufficed for luggager for this short trip, and other than having to valet pack it for the little puddle-jumper from Key West to Miami, no problem there either.

Paul's list of suggestions is great - complete and succinct. I was prepared to play the bereavement card but it didn't come up. I liked this suggestion:

DO NOT get confrontational. Ask--meekly--if the person has the AUTHORITY to help you. Gate agents like to demonstrate that they have authority, and most of them actually do like helping people.

Putting the ball in their court this way, asking for their help, essentially getting them to think it is their idea to come to your rescue - a brilliant ploy. People love the opportunity to be a hero, even in a small way. Also, the bit about not asking. Don't start the conversation! If they let you slide, you have gotten what you wanted. ;)

Oh, I learned something - take only small tubes of toothpaste. I had just started a 6 oz tube and it was taken away at Key West. In retrospect, I should have asked if I could squeeze half of it out. ;)

Thanks again for all the well-wishes and condolences and suggestions. Truly an immense amount of help on both spiritual and practical levels. Outstanding! :mandosmiley:

8ch(pl)
May-26-2011, 5:03am
God comfort you. I am sorry for your loss.

markbaptiste
May-26-2011, 6:39am
Prayers for you and your family. Sorry for your loss.

bratsche
May-26-2011, 7:56am
My heartfelt condolences, JB! I too am many miles from home, having come up to be with my 81 y.o. father in the aftermath of his stroke. Some of the most supportive relatives of my stepmom, who visit my dad in the hospital almost every day, are a couple who just a month and a half ago lost their 43 y.o. son just as suddenly as you lost your brother. I see on the face of his brother what you must be going through. May God comfort your family.

bratsche

journeybear
May-30-2011, 3:05pm
Again, thank you all so much for your commiseration and well wishes. It has really meant a lot to me. You guys and gals are like my second or maybe third family, especially some with whom I seem to have an unspoken rapport. Your kindness help me get through this difficult time, so far anyway. I have a gig tonight, and because of the holiday I couldn't get my gear out of storage, so while I was looking forward to getting back in the swing of things, it's going to be still a little strange.

My mandolin didn't have any problem travelling at all, much less than I did. My best friend from high school went out of his way to make part of my visit manageable and then some, even having his driving service give me a ride to the airport. I had also embraced the pharmaceutical magic of Dramamine, taken preventatively, so the flight to Miami was smooth, even got some sleep. It was a short walk to the gate for the flight to Key West. I was in the last seat right by the door next to a woman from Arkansas, flying down for her 25th anniversary (who would not accede to several offers of switching with her husband). She was one of those people who is real easy to talk with, and very quickly we got to know each other's story pretty well, while they worked on an electrical problem. Finally they gave up, we had to deplane, and wait 1 1/2 hours before resuming. In case you didn't know, another advantage of the bereavement program, beside the 50% discount, is changing flights without penalty; this had enabled me to take an earlier flight and make most of a gig I had already written off. This obviously went back into the dustbin. At least I did get the happy couple to sit together for the flight, and gave them my card with info about gigs while they are in town. And I still flew during daylight, so I was able to take some spectacular photos of clouds, sea, and islands. And still took care of a little business that evening. But then it was back home and catch up on sleep. It is going to take something real serious to get me on a plane again anytime soon!

Ed Goist
May-30-2011, 3:34pm
JB, glad you made it home safe & sound, and that the overall experience was as tolerable as it was.
Again, my condolences on you loss.
All my best;
Ed

Josh Kaplan
May-30-2011, 3:45pm
Flying is an adventure these days. It sounds like the thing you were worried about with the mandolin turned out not to be a problem--and your mandolin now has some frequent flyer miles. I'm glad you made it there and back safely.

-Josh

journeybear
May-31-2011, 2:24am
Thanks again, Ed. You may be the most well-meaning guy hereabouts. Kudos! :mandosmiley: And you're right, Josh - turned out I was worrying for nothing. Still, I'd rather worry too much and then have things go OK than the other way around. ;) Funny thing - on the flight from NY to Miami, someone just ahead of me with a guitar was asked by an attendant if he would like it to go in their closet. Then I passed by, unnoticed. I thought of asking for the same option - it is an antique, after all - but actually preferred slipping by. Pretty much proves what a lot of people had said they had experienced. Oh, and BTW - they sure seemed pretty lax about the size limits. So many of these rolling carry-on suitcases with the telescoping handles looked to be way past the posted 45" requirement. Again, this was American.

Ivan Kelsall
May-31-2011, 4:21am
Hi JB - I'm pleased to hear that all went well in spite of the awful circumstances. You're correct when you mention the size of luggage that some folks take on board,how they get away with it i don't know but they do. Some pieces of luggage i've seen taken on board make a Mandolin in ANY case seem insignificant.
The last time flying to the USA in '92,one of the on-board closets was where i stowed my Banjo.Coming home,with it in an even bulkier case,i was told to put it in the overhead baggage bin,which it fitted with 'room for me' to spare. Basically, i think that it boils down to the flight attendants using their judgement & common sense,in a much better way than the 'folks who make the rules',
Best wishes - Ivan;)

Markus
May-31-2011, 5:50am
Sad to hear of your loss, glad the trip went well.

Paul's advice is spot on regarding travel, glad to hear it worked for you too.