PDA

View Full Version : Off to Ireland

Bluegrasstjej
Nov-08-2004, 4:52am
I'm leaving tomorrow morning for Ennis, County Clare. There'll be a trad music festival and I'm sure it'll be much fun and good music. I'm bringing my Washburn mandolin, very risky, but I just have to have it with me, otherwise I know I'll just long to play it. Ryan Air is quite silly about hand baggage, so I'm actually putting it in my suitcase, wrapped in clothes. Pray it'll be safe.....

Have a good week everyone and see you later!

Susanne http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

fiddlegit
Nov-08-2004, 5:42am
Have a great time Susanne, see if you can find someone to pick Leather Britches with. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

sjusk
Nov-08-2004, 7:02am
Hey Susy, drink a pint of Guinness to the gang when you get there.
If you want a cigar to go with it you´ll have to step outside the pub. (new rules)

God rejse!

Søren

Martin Jonas
Nov-08-2004, 7:15am
Ryan Air is quite silly about hand baggage, so I'm actually putting it in my suitcase, wrapped in clothes.
Are you sure that's necessary? I haven't done it on Ryanair, but I've flown with Lufthansa, BA, Easyjet and on charterflights with my mandolin as hand luggage and never had any problems. You may not be able to take any other hand luggage, though. I wouldn't dream of checking it in without a fibreglass flight case.

Have a great time!

Martin

sjusk
Nov-08-2004, 8:01am
That´s right, Martin! I flew back from New York in February and carried my mandolin on board the plane, and the security people in Newark International...phuii, they are tough.

Susy, don´t let go of your mandolin!

Søren

craig
Nov-08-2004, 4:06pm
susanne,

yeah, ryanair is very tough on that stuff. i've traveled many times with them and my mando. i have a TKL case for my f-style, and i have a backpack big enough to hold the case except the neck part sticks out the top. so, i'd stuff the mando with case in it and it passed every time as a carry-on. there was still room for a few other things in the bag as well. i wouldn't think about checking it, especially with ryanair!!

hope that helps.

have fun in eireland! i have may friends there and miss it dearly. please have a pint for me. i sure miss those nights in the pubs with good friends . . .

slainte,

craig

mad dawg
Nov-08-2004, 4:44pm
"Ryan Air is quite silly about hand baggage, so I'm actually putting it in my suitcase, wrapped in clothes."
Yikes! You might want to consider having a pint or three before opening up your suitcase. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Regardless of how you resolve your mandolin dilemma, have a blast in Ireland -- I've only been back once since my honeymoon there, and I sure do miss her. (Ireland, that is -- I still have my wife!)

Bluegrasstjej
Nov-11-2004, 4:28pm
Hi folks!!
I'm sitting in a shabby internet cafe in Ennis, I've spent the day in Galway and now it's festival time. We don't find many sessions yet but they'll probably start later, there's a huge list on the festival programme with pubs that'll hold sessions.
The mandolin was well and healthy when I opened up my suitcase, I had stuffed the case with underwear and nightgown (yeah, I know I'm mad or at least weird) and wrapped it with some plastic stuff. I think I'll do the same when I get back, or maybe try to take it as hand baggage. My boyfriend managed to get his fiddle on board so I should try at least.
Haven't found anyone to play Leather britches with me but our neighbors at the hostel play The Otter's holt.

Time for food and good music. Take care and be nice!!

Hugs to all
Susanne