PDA

View Full Version : Tuner

Anand
Feb-17-2004, 12:14am
Hi,

I am a keen on learning to play Mandolin and wanted your advice on a new tuner which i have ordered over the net.
The tuner is Sieko ST-737 tuner. Does anyone know if this is good tuner for tuning Mandolin?

Thanks,
Andy

mandroid
Feb-17-2004, 1:47am
any chromatic tuner will do just fine.
Chromatic ones are detecting all 12 semitones
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif
I use the built in piezos mostly with a 1/4" cord connected to the tuner,with its input, till I find my misplaced intellitouch. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Anand
Feb-17-2004, 4:23pm
I doubt if it is a chromatic tuner, more description about this i found in a web site:

This says,
SEIKO ST-737 Automatic Guitar and Bass Tuner.
Whether you're a guitar player, bass player, or roadie for the band, this tuner is a real problem solver. It features a wide detection ranged that's perfect for 7-string guitars and 6-string basses; features selectable guitar or bass mode; selectable manual or auto-tuning including flat and double-flat tuning modes, and a high-contrast LCD display. Auto power-off and memory backup function saves your batteries and info for next time around!
Features:
• Selectable guitar or bass mode
• Selectable manual or auto-tuning
• Flat/double-flat tuning modes
• LCD display
• Auto power-off and memory backup function
• Wide detection range that supports 7-string guitars and 6-string basses

Is this still a good buy? Any info will help.

Thanks,
Andy

John Flynn
Feb-17-2004, 4:29pm
I have the chromatic model, the Seiko ST 757. It is a great product. Very reliable, very accurate, easy to use. I much prefer a chromatic tuner even though they are more expensive. There is just so much more you can do with them.

Bradley
Feb-17-2004, 4:51pm
I just received the new flyer from Guitar Center..

They have the ST767 which is chromatic as their deal of the month for $19.99 and has a list price of $115.

Its a heck of a tuner for the money!!

Jack Roberts
Feb-17-2004, 5:06pm
Lotsa folks like the intellitouch. #they are reasonably priced and work will in noisy places.

John Flynn
Feb-17-2004, 5:11pm
I have an Intellitouch as well the ST 757. I use the first one for performance. It is the handiest thing going for that, IMHO. I use the ST 757 for home recording and setting intonation, because it is more accurate

cdwhit
Feb-17-2004, 9:54pm
In my experience (just playing at home and occasional jams with the guitar) there is frequently some kind of noise around me interfering with audio pick-up tuners. The plug-in ones work if you have electric (I don't). Personally I LOVE my intellitouch. It's not effected by background noise, is accurate (at least to my ear), easy to carry, and works on my Guitar, Mandolin, Autoharp, and even checking out my harmonica (though that was a bit tricky).

I don't remember how much I paid for it, but if I lost it I'd be at the music store getting another one ASAP.

Coy Wylie
Feb-17-2004, 10:31pm
I've tried several but am sold on the intellitouch.

GTison
Feb-18-2004, 1:34pm
I used to have a sabine st1100 that I liked. I sold it to a friend when I got intellitouch. My inlellitouch doesn't always isolate the sound of the mandolin from those playing around me. but it's better than any thing (that doesn't have a iso clip ) I "inherited " a seiko ST 747 I really like it. and I'm gonna keep both.

WV Mike
Feb-18-2004, 5:29pm
I have the cheaper (the white one) Intelitouch. #I really like it. #Cost about $30 versus $60 for the black one with a backlit display. #It's plenty accurate for my use. #I also have on built into my Sabine Metronone and I use it sometimes.

Mike