PDA

View Full Version : 10 string 2-point by Gypsy's

Walt Kuhlman
May-17-2011, 9:54am
This one, (along with the Mandocello posted in CBOM going to CA.) will be heading out of my shop for WI. this week. Sitka top, Cocobolo back and sides.

Ed Goist
May-17-2011, 10:03am
Very nice!
A cool and original design very well executed. Congratulations.
Are those Grover guitar tuners?

Walt Kuhlman
May-17-2011, 12:46pm
Grover mini tuners, I use them on versions of ten and twelve sting instruments.

Ed Goist
May-17-2011, 1:21pm
Grover mini tuners, I use them on versions of ten and twelve sting instruments.

Nice. I've always loved Grovers, and mine have always held tune quite nicely (including on my main mandolin).
Grovers don't seem to get the same love from the mandolin community they get from guitarists.
Again, very nice work on the 2-Point.

Eddie Sheehy
May-17-2011, 2:22pm
Very Cool, Walt. My friend Jeff is getting the Mandocello...

Jim MacDaniel
May-17-2011, 4:48pm
Nice Walt. What scale length do you use on your 10-string mandolins?

Charles E.
May-18-2011, 6:43pm
It looks like nice work but the bridge looks to be really close to the sound hole. :confused:

Walt Kuhlman
May-18-2011, 9:35pm
Nice Walt. What scale length do you use on your 10-string mandolins?

Jim I am using a 13 7/8" scale, depending on the customer I use either 52s or 54s on the low "CC"
They are bright and punchy.
Walt

michaelpthompson
May-18-2011, 9:41pm
Good looking instrument. I like the special touches like the tailpiece.

Walt Kuhlman
May-18-2011, 9:48pm
It looks like nice work but the bridge looks to be really close to the sound hole. :confused:

Charley, several things, the bracing pattern I use is a modified lattice which I have developed over the past 2 years, it allows for several things, higher induced arch, clarity of tone/notes and secure bridge placement accross the plane of the top. I could have used an oval hole which would add another 5/8" to the distance/more wood between the soundhole and bridge, but there is no need. I also have the body joint at the 14th fret, (24 frets on the board) which in itself moves the bridge..all in all the spacing is not that unusual.

Walt Kuhlman
May-18-2011, 9:50pm
Good looking instrument. I like the special touches like the tailpiece.

Thanks Michael, the tailpiece tie system goes back to early instruments.

Charles E.
May-19-2011, 6:04am
Walt, thanks for the insights of your building style. I have read a bit about classical guitar makers using lattice systems for bracing but not many mandolin builders. Also that two point certainly gives access to all the frets. Nice work, would love to hear it some time.

Walt Kuhlman
May-26-2011, 9:16pm
Nice. I've always loved Grovers, and mine have always held tune quite nicely (including on my main mandolin).
Grovers don't seem to get the same love from the mandolin community they get from guitarists.
Again, very nice work on the 2-Point.

I really like the Grover mini tuners too Ed, and I as well have had great success with them! Just an all around good tuner at a very reasonable price!

rico mando
Jul-07-2011, 8:14pm
i really would love to hear a sound clip from one of your 10 string mandolins walt . i have heard clips from your nylon but would like to hear this model also