PDA

View Full Version : Mike Guggino and the Steep Canyon Rangers

Gan Ainm
May-16-2011, 7:53am
Saw this band in Staunton, Va. this weekend and they played a fabulous show in a small club (The Mockingbird). Mike Guggino deserves more attention from the mando world I think. The band moves around styles a bit from fiddle-centric newgrass to folk-grass to pretty hard core trad grass and Mike gets a beautiful and appropriate sound from his Kimble on all of them. Without much fanfare he leads on a couple of Monroe style tunes with technique that would do Compton or Skaggs proud. The band works the mikes and delivers a show the way Del and the Boys do, and Woody Platt has a lovely voice although not in the High Lonesome style. Their vocal harmonies are superb. They project FUN, and respect for the audience. Obviously they are getting a lot of deserved play and attention for working with Steve Martin, but I wanted to draw attention to Mikes draw for mando fans. He can also play the daylights out of an Italian Tarantella, but that’s another story. Catch them if you can, and how about a Café interview /feature with Mike?

P.S. Really looking forward to Nashcamp with Matt Flinner in August!

Mandolin Mick
May-18-2011, 4:39am
Saw them a year ago at the Pabst Theater here in Milwaukee with Steve Martin. They were incredibly tight and the mandolin was great. :mandosmiley:

sachmo63
May-18-2011, 5:29am
Gan, I agree. I've always thought he was under appreciated. Saw them in Kingsport TN a couple years ago and he has a nice touch on mandolin and is a very strong player. Its no wonder Steve Martin likes to pick with them.

Good post!

S

Tbone
May-19-2011, 2:07pm
Yea, SCR is great. My band opened for them last summer, they're all super cool guys taboot. Got a chance to play Mike's Kimble - bad idea. Even though I've got a great instrument, the MAS set in for the first time in about 10 years. Great band.