PDA

View Full Version : My new Norris A-style

Peggy Cabe
May-14-2011, 6:49pm

The new Norris A-style is complete! Can't wait to get up to Boone and pick it up. Meanwhile my luthier, Bobby Norris, is breaking it in for me. He likes the sound and that's good enough for this novice. The brass/mother-of-pearl tailpiece is from a little workshop in Saigon that I found on eBay. I could use some suggestions for a name...

Thanks !

P.

Steve-o
May-14-2011, 6:54pm
Congrats Peggy! Looks very nice. Enjoy your new Norris.

Ed Goist
May-14-2011, 7:19pm
Peggy, congratulations on a beautiful mandolin!
I love the inlay work on the peghead. Nice!
Suggestion for a name? How about White Lightning!

George R. Lane
May-14-2011, 9:58pm
Or Ms. Saigon.

Peggy Cabe
May-15-2011, 10:33am
:mandosmiley:Hey Ed and George, thanks for the suggestion for a name. "Ms Saigon" cracked me up, and I really like "white lightning". But alas, that would imply that I can play with speed, and that's a few years away I'm afraid. Hey George, we used to live in Billings, still have friends in Helena. Miss Montana a lot sometimes.

mandolino maximus
May-15-2011, 2:38pm
I'd be really excited. Congratulations.

Very good looking and with a personal touch. Seems like it ought to have a name. Something personal or specific to the instrument. The tail piece suggests femininity. Yeah, if I named mine after my playing, it would be Elmer (after the glue). Don't name it until the name feels right and then never change it. (Well, I think of it like the name of a ship, for which you must follow a ritual to change the name.)

Maybe there's a feline connection to exploit for a name here?

Joe Mendel
May-15-2011, 2:42pm
How about "Chuck"?

Jim Ferguson
May-15-2011, 3:08pm
Heh there Peggy.......that is one sweet looking mando for sure. Congrats. I hope you get many years of joy playing that beauty.
As far as a name.......hhhmmmmmm...........how about "belle"........French for beautiful.....:-)
Peace,
Jim

Mark Hudson
May-15-2011, 4:45pm
<<There was no Goddess of music in Ancient Greece only God and his name was Apollo.

However, there was the Muse Euterpe, one of the 9 daughers of Zeus and Mnemosyne. She was the muse of music, and is pictured with a double flute.>>

Found that on Wiki. I have NO idea how to pronounce Euterpe... so while I thought it was a good idea you probably want something easier to pronounce and with less explaining to do... :-)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Greek_Goddess_of_music#ixzz1MSZcNekl

bkhooper
May-16-2011, 3:06pm
Peggy,
I was passing through Boone this past weekend and got to check your mandolin out first hand. I was browsing through Mr. Norris's music store and saw this mandolin hanging behind the counter. Mr. Norris was kind enough to let me check it out. The blonde finish looks awesome and it sounded fantastic. It goes without saying, I believe you are going to be very pleased when you get it. Also.. very cool tailpiece.

Congratulations,
ken

Randi Gormley
May-16-2011, 3:09pm
there's always "pearl" as in the inlay ...

Rockinrick
May-16-2011, 8:57pm
Your mando looks really classy Peggy. I'm a 30 year guitar playin' manolin newbie and enthralled by all the beautiful mandos I see on this site. If it sounds as good as it looks, you'll be a happy camper!

Peggy Cabe
May-20-2011, 11:57am
Oh Ken,
Now I'm REALLY anxious to get that mandolin in my hands! My only concern is that as a new player (less than 2 years), that I can't get the beautiful sounds from it that you experienced players can. All the more motivation to put in those hours every day. Thanks for your encouraging review!

Peggy

Peggy Cabe
May-28-2011, 10:27am
<<There was no Goddess of music in Ancient Greece only God and his name was Apollo.

However, there was the Muse Euterpe, one of the 9 daughers of Zeus and Mnemosyne. She was the muse of music, and is pictured with a double flute.>>

Found that on Wiki. I have NO idea how to pronounce Euterpe... so while I thought it was a good idea you probably want something easier to pronounce and with less explaining to do... :-)

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_Greek_Goddess_of_music#ixzz1MSZcNekl

When my husband and I were dating "our song" was Maggie May". Despite much pleading I would never change "Peggy" to "Maggie" (Dad hated it), so this could finally resolve the issue.

George R. Lane
May-28-2011, 11:17am
:mandosmiley:Hey Ed and George, thanks for the suggestion for a name. "Ms Saigon" cracked me up, and I really like "white lightning". But alas, that would imply that I can play with speed, and that's a few years away I'm afraid. Hey George, we used to live in Billings, still have friends in Helena. Miss Montana a lot sometimes.

Yeah, I moved here 33 years ago from So Cal and have never been back to visit. There is just something about the mountains and streams that get into your blood. You should come back for a visit.
Enjoy your new mando.