PDA

View Full Version : Redline Traveler nut material

rgray
May-14-2011, 4:31am
Sitting here early AM noodling with my Traveler and got to wondering about the nut material. Looks plastic, but some Cafe searching tells me it can be hard to tell the difference between some materials. Red Line's website doesn't say what they typically use but I am sure I can ask.

In the meantime, does anyone know what is typically used? And, if plastic, would it be worthwhile to have a bone nut installed?

mishima
May-14-2011, 4:51am
Hello:

Not sure about the material of your nut but my Garrison had a plastic nut, which I had changed to bone. I noticed a differerence in the tone. More importantly my wife, who is my primary audience, also noted a difference in the sound and as the sword swung the other way she stated "you don't play any better but it sounds better".

Mike

fatt-dad
May-14-2011, 8:12am
You can heat up a pin and see if it melts into the nut material, but you'll see the blemish. My Flatiron pancake was original with a wooden nut, but now it's bone.

f-d

rgray
May-14-2011, 11:17am
Got the answer from Steve at Red Line - The nut is made from a black phenolic material, goes by the brand name Micarta.

ColdBeerGoCubs
May-14-2011, 11:22am
http://forums.weebls-stuff.com/picture.php?albumid=234&pictureid=1567

This is MICARTA!!!

rgray
May-14-2011, 1:05pm
I guess I can't get a tougher nut than that. :)

JEStanek
May-14-2011, 8:15pm
<Spoiler alert> He still died in the end. Just sayin'.

Ed Goist
May-14-2011, 8:34pm
It's funny how little nuts get discussed here compared to amongst guitarists...
One could say the nut is the guitar player's pick.

epicentre
May-15-2011, 12:52pm
I have e.mailed Steve on a couple of occasions, and he has always answered. Just saying.