PDA

View Full Version : driving with mandolin

bratsche
May-13-2011, 2:25pm
Will be on the road for about 30 hours, and plan to take my most expensive mandola (Sawchyn Beavertail) with me.

I'm just making a trip to see family that up till now I have flown, but it's my first time driving. I know lots of you are veterans of camps, festivals, workshops and the like, and might know something I've forgotten to think of.

Instrument will be kept out of sunlight and sight in decent, big suspension case. There's room for a few t-shirts stuck in there in above and below it - should I do it? or just leave the empty air space around it? Should I detune the instrument? By how much, a step or two, or completely slack?

I know it's hot, and to look for shady parking spaces, but I don't plan on stopping longer than 15 min at a time, just for gas and bathroom breaks. No detours or sight seeing planned - I just want to get where I'm going. Will rest/sleep a while at night to keep my alertness level high. All food will be carried with me.

Am I missing anything obvious here?

bratsche

Ken Sager
May-13-2011, 2:48pm
Relax and have fun? It'll be fine.

JEStanek
May-13-2011, 2:49pm
I wouldn't detune. If the case is black, I would cover it with a light colored towel/jacket etc so it doesn't get hot from absorbing sunlight. Don't keep it in the trunk. Other than that... Drive safe, have fun, take pictures, don't play while driving, play at night to relax.

Jamie

JEStanek
May-13-2011, 2:49pm
Ken, didn't you ride all over creation on a motorcycle with a mandolin strapped to the back?

Jamie

JeffD
May-13-2011, 2:50pm
I have a "space blanket", you know dark on one side and shiney on the other. When I drive with my instruments I put the blanket on top of them. The derned thing really works. Deeps things from getting hot.

catmandu2
May-13-2011, 2:51pm
Check in with your cat sitter occasionally, relax and enjoy the travel, play your mandolin at the rest stops and keep your eyes and ears open for woodwind players to join in!

bratsche
May-13-2011, 3:39pm
Jeff, I can imagine those space blankets working well where there's sunlight, but do they make any appreciable difference in the shade? Yes, the case is black, but if it's well hidden...?

I have a small pickup truck, so there's no trunk. But I built a platform across the back behind the seats (inside the cab), and underneath that is where the mandola and all the valuables will be stashed.

Catmandu - I'm married to the cat sitter.. he will certainly have his work cut out for him. And yes, I'll be in frequent contact! ;) =^.^=

bratsche

John Flynn
May-13-2011, 3:43pm
Don't drive and play at the same time..Hey, I've tried it! It's safer than texting while driving, but I don't recommend it.

Paul Busman
May-13-2011, 4:39pm
If you're comfortable in the cabin of your car, the mando will too. Don't stress.

bratsche
May-25-2011, 9:34pm
So my trip, originally set for the 20th, didn't go exactly as planned. On the 13th (the evening of the same day as I started this thread), my dad appeared to have had a stroke, and on the next day, my brother said I better get up there fast. Hubby was telling me to fly up, but that wasn't going to happen, as I had no earthly idea (nor the money) to come up with a ticket that quickly, plus I was already 90% ready for a road trip, since it was my first and I was really into planning it down to the last detail. So I just finished packing what little remained, and left on the afternoon of Saturday the 14th, spent 29 hrs driving (including a 3.5 hr. stop to sleep in the truck), and got here early evening Sunday. Trip had a lot of rainy weather, but was otherwise uneventful.

Dad survived, and is in the rehab hospital now, but he is 81, and it's going so-so at this point. But my trusty mandola made the trip just fine, and has been pressed into service as a musical therapy instrument when he's in the dining area. I'm staying - indefinitely at this point - with my stepmother, get to drive her around, and we spend 10 or more hours daily at the hospital. It has a wifi connection, and I'd dearly love to own a laptop. Have been scouring Craigslist locally for a used one that both works well enough and that I can afford (-$120), bt so far, zip. Am writing this on a 12 y.o. computer that's super slow, so I won't be online or able to write much for now. I miss home, but am needed more here right now, and glad I can be here.

Regards to all,

bratsche

allenhopkins
May-25-2011, 9:45pm
Glad your instrument survived, hope your Dad does too. A lot on your plate; you should get an award for successfully completing a trip of that length. Life has a way of writing unexpected plot twists into our scripts. Best of thoughts sent your way...

michaelpthompson
May-25-2011, 9:46pm
So sorry to hear of your troubles. Nice that you've got family and music though. :)

JEStanek
May-26-2011, 10:53am
Peace to you, Bratsche and to your family. Sending you good (non wifi requiring) vibes.

Jamie

Jim Garber
May-26-2011, 11:00am
My heart goes out to you, Bratsche. I went thru that with both parents a number of years ago.

bratsche
May-26-2011, 9:12pm
Thanks, you guys! :sleepy:

bratsche

dcoventry
May-26-2011, 9:21pm
It's a beautiful and generous thing you are doing. Be thankful for the chance to so profoundly help others. It's HARD to be thankful sometimes, and that's when it's most important. Much strength to you and yours.

Dave C.

JeffD
May-27-2011, 12:17am
I can't tell you in detail how they work, I barely got a B in thermodynamics. But yea they seem to work in shade. The coolest part of the back of my jeep is under that space blanket. Now mind you it stays about room temperature - high 60s F or low 70 F, but even when it is blisteringly hot outside it stays low 70 F under that blanket.

I have often thought that some enterprising soul with a sewing machine could make some money selling space blanket slip cases for guitar, mandolin and fiddle cases.

pjlama
May-27-2011, 12:46am
My thoughts are with you and your family. This does put things in perspective though, as much as we love our instruments they can be replaced but the people we love are irreplaceable. Sure must be nice to play for your dad, enjoy your time together and the beautiful music I'm sure you're making.

8ch(pl)
May-27-2011, 4:35am
I send my best wishes and prayers for your family. Glad you were able to make the trip, it had that added stress, but God, friends and family are with you.

Be cool Bratsche.

Ed Goist
May-27-2011, 10:11am
Hi Bratsche:
My thoughts are with you and your family.
Thank you for your good work. It is making the world a slightly better place.
Please keep us updated if and when you can.
- Ed

bratsche
May-27-2011, 10:34am
Let's see if this works - my brother loaned me an ancient laptop - he's a nerd and got it free and broken, and resurrected it; it's a Compaq Armada e500 running Puppy Linux. Dad is in PT right now and I managed to get online. His older brother came in for a visit and he and his wife are staying with his younger brother and his wife. The older brother also drove from Florida (on a road trip including many other stops - imagine that!!) Yesterday there were nore visitors than ever before so far - about 8 at once! It is most gratifying to see all the outpouring of support. Thank you all for your good wishes. Please excuse any typos, as the screen is very dim on this thing. I don't even have a nouse, just a weird touchpad thingy. But it's something! ;-)

bratsche

neebee
May-27-2011, 1:28pm
Thoughts are with you. Two things...1) I got to spend a weekend with the Steel Wheels last year (www.thesteelwheels.com). They have a great song and story about a parent with Alzheimer's who responded to, and even played, harmonica. Music is great thing. 2) As far as travelling in the car, I figure if I haven't passed out from the heat, my instrument is probably ok too..obviously not in the direct sun. I love the idea of space blanket instrument covers!

Ivan Kelsall
May-28-2011, 1:04am
Hi Bratsche - I'm sorry to hear about your father,i sincerely hope that he pulls though. Strokes are evil & it's tough to see loved ones cut down like that.
Re.your original question - the 'space blanket' idea is spot on,but any thick covering such as a quilt,or one of my favourites,a hot water tank lagging jacket ,or even a chunk of loft insulation,will work perfectly.They're all made to keep heat in or out - in your case (no pun intended) out,
Ivan

bratsche
Aug-25-2011, 2:48pm
Hey all,

I will be heading back homeward tomorrow! It's only been... what, 3.5 months? Revisiting this thread after so much time, I must say that what Glen said on May 27 about "God, friends and family" being with me has proven to be be sooo true! I have bonded with a few of my relatives in a way that was impossible before, due to the long distance and the short times of my visits. And I've made new friends here too, especially among the staff at this little community.

My Dad has been making steady progress, albeit very slowly - strokes are not easy for anyone, let alone an octogenarian! When I look at pictures and video of him in May-June compared to recently, the difference is amazing. He is still in a Special Care Unit (because he requires round-the-clock assistance) but he now can feed, dress and groom himself for the most part, read, write, and he has full arm and leg mobility using his wheelchair. He is taking a few cautious steps each day - under supervision only - but we have hopes he will walk again, even if with a walker. His mind has been like a Christmas tree, where the lights take turns blinking. All of it seems to work, but each part is still usually rather intermittent. His attention span is slowly increasing as well, and he has retained his unique sense of humor. In the past several weeks, he has also actually begun responding to my mandola playing (instead of it just being part of the background sounds) by applauding, asking questions about the pieces, and just recently, he wanted to look the instrument over in hand, softly touching the strings and reading the label inside to me out loud.

In the meantime, my brother and I have cleared out the house at their retirement community, and gotten our stepmother moved into a considerably smaller apartment. This was tough, because when they moved here in 2007, they brought all of the contents of their former house of 40 years, haphazardly and quickly thrown into boxes - and both of them were big-time packrats. Add to that mix a flood last month which dumped 42 inches of rainwater into their basement overnight, right where we had carefully sorted things into new boxes (most of which were fortunately earmarked for donation)! That really helped us to throw things away, but egads, what a mess! It's been pandemonium, in short. But it's finished now, and time for me to head south. I really hate to leave my Dad, but it's time... and there's my nerd brother to help our Dad use Skype.

I will be driving 3/4 of the way home, and stopping to see an old friend for a couple days before I finally go all the way home. I would be remiss if I didn't make mention of my wonderful husband, who has been extremely patient and tolerant during these months, taking care of our cats and doing for himself each day without ever complaining.

And oh yes - I did finally pick up a used laptop on eBay. Paid a bit more than my original budget plan, but it's been great! :)

bratsche

Mike Bunting
Aug-25-2011, 2:58pm
So happy to hear this positive report, here's hoping for continued improvement for your Dad and much love to all your family.

mandroid
Aug-25-2011, 3:54pm
[humor] playing and driving, steering with your knee is probably not a good plan..:whistling:

pickloser
Aug-25-2011, 4:00pm
Have a safe trip. It's good to hear that your Dad is progressing fairly well. You and your brother are good kids!