PDA

View Full Version : flying with mandolin

dawgfunk
May-12-2011, 10:21am
Are most airlines fine with taking a mandolin in a hard case as a carry-on? Does anyone have any advice on things to do or avoid when flying with your mandolin? Thanks in advance for your tips.

JEStanek
May-12-2011, 10:28am
I haven't flown with a mandolin in a few years (2007). It counts as a carry on. Be polite. I never even asked, I just baorded with it and placed in the overhead. I've never done this with a rectangular case, only shaped ones. If they get sticky about checking it at the gate, ask if you can place it in the coat closet rather than in the hold. I've never had to check a mandolin I've flow with. Be sure not to have weapons in the case (string cutters or you'll lose them for sure). I carry only the instrument and a tuner and picks on board.

Jamie

scgc.om
May-12-2011, 10:44am
Six months ago, I vacationed in Europe. I flew first from the Pacific NorthWest to East Coast, then to London, next to Amsterdam. Getting back home, I took three more flights, for a total of 7 separate plane boardings. I carried on my Collings MT in a Travelite case. I was never once asked about my mandolin -- I passed boarding and security without the slightest hint of trouble. Note: I also had my main carry-on bag: a full Rick Steeves carry-on. Therefore, my mandolin was technically my extra carry on"purse".

I'm thinking the guy who posted "United Airlines broke my Taylor Guitar" on You Tube smoothed the way for musicians. British Air states specifically on their ticket: "Musical Instruments up to size of a guitar can be carried on." Major carriers want to avoid bad publicity!!

I also recommend (NFI) the Travelite -- fits easily in overhead rack. Backpackable option is great, too.

mfeuerst
May-12-2011, 10:47am
I've flown several times recently with my Floodtone A style and haven't had to check it yet. Airline policies vary as does enforcement - stricter when they're busier etc. Safe to say that gig bags are almost always welcome because they fit so nicely and shaped cases advertise 'instrument' without being too intrusive in an overhead. But I wouldn't risk checking a really valuable mandolin ever. Just get a $300 beater and carry it on and take the small risk. I've taken to packing the shaped A case inside of a larger checked bag for trips longer than a couple days.

Nonprophet
May-12-2011, 11:01am
In keeping with the "it's always better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission" I just walk right on the plane like it's no big deal. I do use a gig bag as it takes up less space, and, should they try and make me check it or "gate-check" it I can point out that it's a very fragile expensive instrument that would almost certainly be damaged.....

If you're polite and courteous they'll do their best to accommodate you--and there's usually a closet or two that a mando can fit into easily.

I will add that about a year ago I was on a flight where a guy tried to bring aboard an instrument in a rectangular hardshell case. It looked like a mandolin, but I don't know for sure.....Anyway, because flights are sooooooo crowded these days, people were having a fit because the case had to be oriented North-South in the overhead bin, which meant that it took up almost the entire bin. They wound up checking it---food for thought.

I have a cheap travel mando that I keep around--I wouldn't want to risk taking an expensive mando with me.....

NP

Wally Taylor
May-12-2011, 11:14am
I have flown twice recently, to San Francisco in February, and to Portland, Oregon in March. I took my Ratliff R-5 on board and no one ever questioned it.

Wally Taylor
Marion, Iowa

BBarton
May-12-2011, 11:15am
There have been a number of threads on this topic in the past, relating various experiences (they're probably in the archives somewhere). Personally, though, I have never had a problem during the many times I've traveled with a mando. Last year I flew to Ireland (via Continental) and took my mando in a Calton case -- not its normal home, but just in case they wanted it checked, particularly as I'd heard the airport security folks were especially zealous and unrelenting over there. They didn't, and didn't even blink when I checked in. I did have it slung over my back with the strap so it didn't appear obvious both during check-in and boarding -- no problem. I'm planning to fly with it to Seattle (via United) this summer and will take the same approach.

barney 59
May-12-2011, 12:04pm
I have always carried my mandolin on to the plane. They fit into overhead storage which can be pretty dangerous in it's self when someone else tries to stuff something in that won't fit or they get there first when the plane lands and drags their bag out. If possible I keep my mandolin under my feet/seat (American Airlines particularly this is getting difficult the way they cram you in). When I manage to talk a guitar in, which often I can do 'cause I'm willing to hold up the whole line for as long as it takes arguing my point. If they know you know that their is a space reserved for such things in the cabin their argument gets pretty weak. The flight attendants have this nifty safe spot to store such things in first class, that is what it's for and I don't see why some clerk goes to the extra trouble to try and stop me from using it. They may insist that they take it from you and deliver it to the plane but you get to carry it out. Security is another matter but they CAN inspect things without going through the little hole. When someone buys a ticket for their Strad cello they get through. Even though I don't spring for a first class ticket I figure my instruments shouldn't be denied. Sometimes when I carry my mandolin on to the plane I ask the attendant to store it for me and they always do. No reason to keep the good stuff at home.

rgray
May-12-2011, 12:18pm
On all my flights I try to select a seat at the back of the plane to be one of the first to board with more options for overhead luggage space. If I have connecting flights, I don't try for tight connections that have me running through the airport and showing up just before the door is closed. The best ride my mandolin took was actually on a small commuter puddle jumper. I was in the second row aisle seat with my mandolin above. As more passengers boarded, there wasn't enough room in the overheads near me. The stewardess (yes, I'm that old) asked if she could take my mandolin case out and strap it in the empty seat in front of me. That was fine by me.

JeffD
May-12-2011, 12:34pm
I fly alot. A lot. I have routinely brought my bowlback mandolin (in an Eastman bowlback case (http://www.giannaviolins.com/esmando/case/CaseESBowlBack.html)) onto many a flight, as recently as last month. That is in addition to an attache type lap top case and a small over the shoulder "messenger" type bag. And this is flights announcing only one carry on. Large crowded planes and small commuter planes. No problem, not even a raised eyebrow.

I don't do anything special and I have only been asked to gate check something once, and that was more than a few years ago, which is more than 15 flights ago.

I would never suggest what anyone else should do. I am just reporting my experience.

mtucker
May-12-2011, 1:01pm
i thought this was a post about playing mandolin really fast... :grin:

fi0qjJy-20k

lonestar_shawn
May-12-2011, 1:48pm
I just took a trip from the US to India and back, which took 6 different flights. I carried my mandolin in a Calton case and had a backpack with a laptop. During the various security checks two different times I was asked to take the mandolin out of the case and play it some, although I don't know if this was due to security or just curiosity. On another security check they swabbed the inside of the case and ran the swab through the machine that looks for traces of explosives. Other than that I had no issues with security. I only had the mandolin in the case - extra strings, string cutter, picks, etc. were all in separate checked luggage.

As far as carrying the plane on board I just had the case over one shoulder and my backpack over the same shoulder and walked right onto the planes. I tried not to call attention to the mandolin and nobody said anything about it. The Calton case doesn't really fit the "correct" way into the overhead bins, so I was having to put in in sideways but nobody complained about it. On one of the flights with Lufthansa the ticket clearly stated "only 1 carry on," so I went to the ticket counter to see about gate checking the mandolin, and she said it was a musical instrument so I could keep it with me. On two different flights the person taking the tickets stopped the person in front of me for trying to carry on two bags, while I walked right past. On the very last leg, I got held up while entering the plane and a flight attendant asked what was in the case. She said she loved mandolins and thought they were beautiful instruments.

I also have insurance, just in case.

Richard Eskite
May-12-2011, 2:28pm
I just flew Virgin America from Dulles in Virginia to San Francisco with a mandolin in the Eastman hard case, which as far as such things go, is pretty bulky. It was about an inch too long to go crosswise in the overhead rack, but there was room to spare lengthwise. I had no trouble, but I made certain I was in my seat early and grabbed overhead space I could keep an eye on. I watched pretty carefully that nobody with an overstuffed carryon wheeler bag smashed into it. I had the case up top and a small shoulder bag with my glasses, music, headphones, book, snacks etc, which went under my seat.

demotlj
May-12-2011, 2:49pm
I have not flown with a mandolin but had a friend who did and he recommended loosening the strings before you fly. He said that one of his mandolins had neck damage after the flight even though he carried it on and he thinks it may have been due to the pressure in the cabin. I have no way of knowing if that's even reasonable physics but loosening strings is probably a good safety measure anyway.

Laurie

Nonprophet
May-12-2011, 6:00pm
I have not flown with a mandolin but had a friend who did and he recommended loosening the strings before you fly. He said that one of his mandolins had neck damage after the flight even though he carried it on and he thinks it may have been due to the pressure in the cabin. I have no way of knowing if that's even reasonable physics but loosening strings is probably a good safety measure anyway.

Laurie

It seems next to impossible given that the cabins on all modern jets are pressurized and it's pretty inconceivable that minor pressure changes would have any impact upon a mandolin neck.

NP

mrmando
May-12-2011, 7:04pm
Neck damage is more likely due to a hard knock up in the overhead bin, perhaps from turbulence, other bags shifting around, or some yahoo shoving your case out of the way so he can squeeze his bag in next to it. As a kid, though, I was taught to loosen my viola strings anytime I traveled, no matter what mode of transportation. Any time the instrument is in motion and there's a chance something unpredictable might happen -- be it a traffic accident or a sudden drop in cabin pressure -- there is less risk of damage if you don't have a lot of string tension.

Never been forced to check a mandolin that I can recall ... I think I had to put instruments in a closet on a flight to Cheyenne, Wyoming, because it was a sardine can of a plane with tiny overhead bins.

Mike Marshall flies with his Loar in a Travelite and his Monteleone mandocello in a custom Calton case. I assume he routinely checks the mandocello and carries on the Loar.

JeffD
May-12-2011, 7:39pm
I assume he routinely checks the mandocello and carries on the Loar.

I don't know in Mike's case, but I have talked with cello players, and one guitar player, who purchase a seat for their instrument, rather than check it.

aliza
May-12-2011, 8:28pm
What airline are you flying, and is it international or in the U.S.? I've flown on Jet Blue with a guitar put on top and holding a violin on my lap ( this was before I got into mandolin...:]), and they were ok with it. Jet Blue officially has a policy that ur allowed a carry on and an instrument (at least they did last year). There was only one time that they gave me and my sister a hard time-it was a full flight and we both had our guitars. But we convinced them to let us try and put them on top, and if they wouldn't fit, we'd check them. They grudgingly let us try and we made sure that there was enough room to allow them to fit. Anyway, a mandolin's a lot smaller than a guitar so you should definitely be okay!

Markus
May-12-2011, 10:35pm
Flew to Arizona with my wife and toddler daughter over Thanksgiving. Carried on, no problems.

First off, TSA: I would remove everything but the mandolin and a pick from the case. No tuner [electronics], strings [suspicious] or comparment full of junk means a quite beautiful x-ray of your mandolin and the case never opened once. Put everything else in your checked luggage ... if there's nothing in the case other than instrument, they won't look.

Don't bring lots of other luggage, if you travel with someone have them carry any stuff you need ... if I want to carry on my mandolin, I think it's polite to not expect to carry anything else on [full pockets, though]. Maybe someone gives me a look because of my case .... but no more a look than the lady with giant purse, laptop, and huge rolling `carryon' that would never fit in the little box. If they ask me to check my single bag, yet everyone else has multiple bags ... sometimes hypocrisy can be your friend :) I felt like any airline person who questioned it also saw my lack of anything else and realized I wasn't pushing it.

Attached rings for backpack straps to my Breedlove hard case, wore it on my back. I must note that we flew from winter/Midwest ... lots of big fluffy jackets around and likely an easier situation.

We loaded early, were polite and had everything ready. Wore the case on the opposite shoulder from the ticket agent, kept on opposite shoulder for boarding too. Being early, smiling, and immensely polite is good, as is not attracting attention and just going with the flow.

The puddle jumper where people were getting asked to check their stuff ... I just walked through and kept a smile on my face and eyes on the plane. I don't think they tried to stop me, but I wasn't going to wait around an instant to find out - once again, it helped that my wife with me walked right over to check her large bag .... most of the time if you work with them, I think they will see it.

Sometimes those folks have just horrendous jobs, and you walk in unaware that the last flight was a nightmare and they just got yelled at for an hour. Good to remember.

michaelpthompson
May-12-2011, 11:10pm
Put everything else in your checked luggage ... if there's nothing in the case other than instrument, they won't look.

CHECKED LUGGAGE? At $50 to $100 a case, who checks luggage? Checked luggage is so 20th Century. I carry on one Rick Steves Back Door bag (http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/catalog/index.cfm?fuseaction=product&theParentId=8&id=346), and maybe a small additional bag. Haven't flown with the mandolin yet, but if I do, it will take the place of the small additional bag.

Pack light, avoid checked bags with their high cost, inconvenience and lost luggage woes. Check out The Complete Guide to Lightweight Travel (http://www.chateaupublishing.com/) or Rick Steves' tips on traveling light (http://www.ricksteves.com/plan/tips/packlight.htm). It's the new way to travel.

Ivan Kelsall
May-13-2011, 12:03am
There have been several threads on this topic & as many variable experiences re. taking (or trying to) a Mandolin on board an aircraft. Much of the time it depends on the individual airline's rules & regs. & how big the aircraft is.I know for a fact,having spoken to reps.of these airlines,that the main 3 airlines from the UK to Ireland will NOT allow a Mandolin to be taken on board,despite the case being of a smaller volume than the 'allowed' hand luggage. Simply because the case is longer than the 'allowed' length,it's either check it in the hold or pay for a seat for it. You'd have to try to find out exactly what the individual airline's rules & regs.are re.taking an instrument on board.It's quite possible that they have rules 'preventing' you from actually doing this,but the
the person at the check-in may use their discretion to allow it on board,depending on the 'visual' size of the case. If the airline that you propose flying with,does have a policy of not allowing instruments on board,be prepared for the over-zealous check in person to tell you that it has to go in the baggage hold or it don't go at all !.That's a risk you'll have to take,but one that i'd prefer not to,
Ivan:(

dawgfunk
May-13-2011, 1:05am
Thanks everyone for your tips! Hopefully I won't run into any problems with my mando. It's a Gibson A-5 in a hard case. I'm traveling from Vancouver, BC to San Francisco on Westjet (a Canadian airline). Thanks again!

Mandolin Mick
May-13-2011, 1:11am
I have taken an F-5 in a hardshell case as a carryon and put it in the overhead a couple of times. No problems. :)

mrmando
May-13-2011, 1:47am
At $50 to $100 a case, who checks luggage? Checked luggage is so 20th Century.
Yeah, I fly naked, and buy clothes when I get where I'm going.

barney 59
May-13-2011, 12:08pm
Yeah, I fly naked, and buy clothes when I get where I'm going.
Quite a few people fly in pajamas or sweats(same thing to me)
Make sure you have a stop over in Pennsylvania. There is no sales tax on clothing in Pa. which is how it should be. They arrest you if you walk around naked but then tax you when you purchase them? Go figure! Malls in the airports so you can buy them there. I do that a lot,not the airport thing but I don't take much in the way of clothing figuring that they sell clothes everywhere. If it's cold or wet on the other end I'll buy a coat and don't bother carrying one cause they take up so much room. I have on two occasions run into Dave Grisman heading into the airport as I was coming out. Both times all he had was the clothes on his back and a mandolin case.

Ed Goist
May-13-2011, 12:22pm
When I saw this thread, I thought is was about a new album...
You have to admit, Flying with Mandolin would be a killer name for an album! :)

JeffD
May-13-2011, 12:37pm
CHECKED LUGGAGE? At $50 to $100 a case, who checks luggage? .

This policy fills up the cabin with rollerboards and overstuffed duffel bags. They should make checked baggage free and charge for carry on baggage. Us musicians would not like it, but it would make more sense.

garyedelman
May-15-2011, 9:07pm
Flown with my manolin on 4 flights now. Never had a problem put it in
the overhead. However, as a precaution, I carry a copy of TSA's own
policy which you can download on letterhead and am prepared to hand
it to them (both TSA and Airline people). On one flight they hassled
a guy carrying a guitar. I very discreetly handed him my copy and the
next question was "where did you get this ?" We haven't seen it, it is
on TSA letterhead and signed, blah, blah, blah. They let him on.

Mo Soar
Oct-25-2011, 5:39pm
United allows guitars on board.

http://www.united.com/page/article/1,,50773,00.html

"You can carry on one guitar or similar or smaller sized musical instrument, which will count as your one carry-on item. The musical instrument, which may exceed 45 linear inches, must be able to be stowed under the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin or another approved stowage location. If space is unavailable prior to departure, the item must be checked as baggage."

Notice that last sentence, which translates to: yes, we allow them most of the times, but sometimes not, at our discretion.

I fly enough that I have "premier" status (okay, bottom-rung low-life premier status) which includes priority security line, priority boarding (get on early while there is lots of space) and a free checked bag per passenger. Generally, the trick is this: there is a hierarchy of airline personnel, with the Flight Attendant (FA) being the lowest rung. Above her/him is the Purser (the head FA) and above the Purser is the actual Flight Crew, particularly the Captain. If you need something done, check first with your FA and then - very politely but firmly - escalate up to the Purser. You really don't want to go over the Purser's head to the Captain or the Gate Agent.

Showing a FA or Purser TSA policy will get you nowhere - you need to print the airline's own policy wrt musical instruments. And even then, the Purser can just say "there isn't enough room" and force you to check it. There are several airlines (I believe Southwest and maybe JetBlue) that do not allow items larger than the 45" total (length+width+girth), and no statement from TSA will convince them otherwise.

Mandolin Mick
Oct-25-2011, 5:46pm
Since I posted in May, I flew to Hawaii & back with my Rattlesnake ... no problems. :mandosmiley:

JonZ
Oct-25-2011, 6:21pm

Laurie

Surely you can't be serious!

pjlama
Oct-25-2011, 6:32pm
Yeah baby!

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Oct-25-2011, 6:46pm

Laurie

Not needed. The cabin is pressurized, between 35,000' & 40,000’ the cabin altitude is between 5400’ & 7000’ depending on the plane. There is no difference between the cabin of the plane and being in Colorado.

The TSA is only complying with the airline’s carry-on policy. For example; if you are traveling on United, Delta or US Airways you will have three different allowable size limits in addition to number of carry-ons. Arguing with the TSA is senseless; they are following rules and zero ability to apply any common sense….they have none.

I fly with my mandolin probably more than anyone in the US. The best advice for success: board at the beginning of the line, be polite, and stick the case in the first available spot whether it’s in the overhead or under the seat, know the phase “the overhead bin is shared space”. For a fact, if you are last and there is no more room it will get checked underneath—be prepared for that. Trying to get forceful or being rude with the Flight Attendant when it’s time to close the door will likely get you the boot.

BBarton
Oct-25-2011, 7:45pm
Just returned from Dallas (to Ottawa) and took my mando in a Calton as a carryon (United) -- no problems whatsoever. Shouldn't be an issue.

tashook
Oct-25-2011, 8:12pm
I take my Epiphone F style on a plane to Maui every year. TSA always ask if it's a ukulele and I usually have to explain what a mando is. Other than that I usually don't have a problem. My advice is to loosen the strings and get on early and ask to store it in a coat closet . If not it usually fits well in the overhead.

Randi Gormley
Oct-25-2011, 9:20pm
I am serious ... and don't call me Shirley. sorry. somebody had to do it.

kkmm
Nov-08-2011, 8:37pm
I flew every two weeks with my mando in a softbag as carry-on. I always put it under the seat in front of me. the neck part is between my legs. Once in a while, a flight attendant caught that and told me to put it in the overhead bin which I refused as the softbag is not hard enough to protect it. I just told them I do this all the times and they let it go.
Recently, I flew from SFO to Europe for a 3 week vacations (6 flights total) with my mando in light hard case put in the overhead bin.
I don't want to have the instrument between my legs on really long flights.
The airlines instruction says clearly that: instruments in hard cases are allowed as carry on as long as they are put on the overhead bin. They only take them as check-in baggage if the hard case is designed for check-in.

Jim Garber
Nov-08-2011, 10:59pm
Last time I flew with my mandolin, I put it in its hardshell shaped case in one side of a double tennis bag. That was my only carry-on and it held everything else I needed for the flight. It fit easily in the overhead and no worry about it getting crushed.

garyedelman
Nov-08-2011, 11:44pm
Flew recently, Chicago (MDW) to Jacksonville (JAX), and on another flight
on a regional jet. Was not bothered at all. The first flights were on Southwest
which has never been a problem. The latter were on US Air which flies RJs.

As a precaution I carry a copy of the TSA's policy on flying with musical instruments.
The once I was challenged, I dropped a copy of this on them, and all they could to
was to ask where I got this.

Also I was recently challenged about shipping wine at Sky Harbor/Phoenix by US Air.
After a long battle, they admitted I was correct the restriction was on hard alcohol.
Lesson learned was that even the FBO Manager had no idea what the real regulation
is, and told me she would not issue a change memo to staff.

Bottom line is that I think you need to be as prepared as possible, just in case.

AnneFlies
Nov-09-2011, 11:02am
I flew commercial out to Idaho this summer, and they were fine with my A-mandolin since it fit under the seat. Of course, I had to be careful where I stepped, but it was in its hard shell case.

JeffD
Nov-09-2011, 11:24am
As a precaution I carry a copy of the TSA's policy on flying with musical instruments.
The once I was challenged, I dropped a copy of this on them, and all they could to
was to ask where I got this. .

I asked a ticket agent friend of mine about this, over dinner and adult beverages. As in many conversations, the scenarios discussed can get kind of extreme. She explained that the bottom line is that the ticket agent has the authority to prevent anyone from bringing anything on a plane if, in the judgement of the ticket agent, it poses a safety threat. And the ticket agent owes the passanger no explanation at the time of bording the plane. She says what ever airline policy is in place is a general policy, meant to apply in when no other issues override, but in specific instances she can pretty much do what she wants. She admitted that her job may hinge on her justification, because torking off paying customers is not good for business, but the bottom line, according to her, is that carrying on any particular piece of luggage is not a right, and neither is getting on the plane for that matter.

We didn't get into TSA specifically, but I doubt the TSA can override the on the scene real time judgement of the ticket agent.

afhusband
Nov-18-2011, 11:14am
I recently flew from Colorado to North Carolina, mandolin in-tow with minor inconvenience... I was ballsy and took my BRW instead of my Rover, of course in a Calton Case. Only on a little puddle-jumper flight was I asked to check it at the gate. I tried to laugh it off, & walk past. Yeah right! "Sir, there is no room in the over-head compartment for anything of that size." Luckily, I had looked up the size limits of carry-ons. I pulled out my pocket notebook with the dimensions allowed, and those of my mandolin. Which really shut her up! Upon boarding I did indeed notice that there was not enough room!! Luckily, in reading the regs, I read about the secret hidden closet in the cabin. Of course the flight attendant tried to have me check it agian. When I mentioned that I was disgruntled that my valuable carry-on, within my alotted space, could not fit, I refuse to check it, and that I am aware of the closet space that is available for valuable items, she took it! I did watch her while she placed it in there though.
You can't trust these airline a$$es!! But arriving with the knowledge of what you are PAYING FOR is key. And then trying to relay that information without getting so mad you get marked as a terrorists, is a challenge in itself@

MK in NC
Oct-16-2015, 1:23pm
I knew there had to be at least one existing thread on this topic. Does anybody else feel a cold shudder when seeing this photo?

https://instagram.com/p/83i7Cpy1cVm8ZG9ukzc1-N-_uSFOPYwpKbJM80/

Don Grieser
Oct-16-2015, 1:30pm
Since I posted in May, I flew to Hawaii & back with my Rattlesnake ... no problems. :mandosmiley:

Snakes on Planes!