PDA

View Full Version : My new to me Redline Traveler

rgray
May-11-2011, 7:55pm
Traded my Kentucky 505 for this Redline Traveler (with Breedlove case) because I didn't need two A-style/f-holes. A simple Google search and some Cafe posts tells me the original owner was Brent Hutto. The only thing I notice is that the intonation is off (goes sharp up the fretboard). Hoping to have Dr. Cohen do a setup on both this one and my new Weber Gallatin A due to the great job he did with my Kentucky 505 2 years ago.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72082&d=1305161386

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=72081&d=1305161381

JEStanek
May-11-2011, 7:57pm
Nice, enjoy it. Steve makes a good mandolin! .... and Dr. Cohen knows what he's doing too.

Jamie

Ed Goist
May-11-2011, 8:06pm
Congratulations, Bob!
Sweet looking mandolin! Really nice.
I'm betting it and the Weber will both sing like nightingales after their appointments with Dr. Cohen.
I'm sure we'd all love to hear/see post-set-up clips.

fatt-dad
May-11-2011, 8:59pm
I'd like to play that thing! If you visit Dave during an evening, let me know and I'll run you a duel with my pancake. Ask Dave to show you my mandolin pieces. I'm getting excited, but have to remain patient.

f-d

Ken Scarbrough
May-11-2011, 11:05pm
Look's Great Bob I know you will enjoy that one.

dcoventry
May-11-2011, 11:11pm
Brent owned it?? No wonder it doesn't play right!:))

rgray
May-12-2011, 6:00am
I'd like to play that thing! If you visit Dave during an evening, let me know and I'll run you a duel with my pancake. Ask Dave to show you my mandolin pieces. I'm getting excited, but have to remain patient.

Duel conceded. But I will let you know if and when I visit Dr. Cohen.

Brent owned it?? No wonder it doesn't play right!:))

Now, now.:) I believe he bought it from Big Joe which tells me it was dead-on. I figure the second owner may have moved the bridge or maybe these little guys are just a bit quirky. I'm not sure my playing ability would have detected the intonation problem. After initial tuning I just did a quick check at the 12th fret to see what it was doing.

JeffD
May-12-2011, 8:51am
Once adjusted I think you will love that mandolin.

rgray
May-17-2011, 6:14am
I visited with Dr. Cohen last night to have both my Gallatin and Red Line tuned up. The Gallatin only needed some bridge movement for intonation and some lowering for my personal preference and it now plays like butter. The Red Line was similar but required some minor surgery on the E string side of the bridge to lower it enough. Again, plays like butter/silk/you name it. Great work by Dr. Cohen along with picking up a few tips on future maintenance. Either of these two mandolins overshadow my playing ability (let alone two!)and I doubt I will see a need to upgrade, but if I were so inclined a Cohen would be an awesome addition.

Ed Goist
May-17-2011, 8:31am
Bob; sounds fantastic!
Congratulation on having two, excellent, and well set-up mandolins!
Play on!

JeffD
May-17-2011, 10:08am
You may well never need an upgrade. A Redline Traveler has everything I need to make me happy for the rest of my life.

That being said, you may still one day want to get another mandolin. I am sure you will. Not to upgrade, or replace, or even to fulfil any insufficiency, but just because you want t get another mandolin. Having perfectly acceptable kethup, even exceptional ketchup, does not obviate the need for mustard.

rgray
May-21-2011, 7:19am
A pic of my little play area with my Traveler and Gallatin.

Brent Hutto
May-21-2011, 7:26am
Is that a piano or organ just out the picture to the right?

rgray
May-21-2011, 7:53am
Is that a piano or organ just out the picture to the right?

My $2000 metronome. Actually, my wife's Yamaha Clavinova electric piano.

Brent Hutto
May-21-2011, 8:25am
Since I'm down to one each of guitar, mandolin and viola (which is for sale BTW) I had thought about getting something like a digital piano for my music room. Two problems. They cost a lot, although admittedly they sound mighty good even at the under-$1,000 level nowadays. And they still take up more room than I have available, though less than a "real" piano.

So I probably ought to get something small and inexpensive instead. Maybe an upright bass...

Nathan Sanders
Jun-28-2011, 11:03am
Hey Bob,

Great looking Redline and I know it sounds good. I bought it from Brent. I got the case from House of Musical Traditions in Maryland. Great case! I'm glad you mentioned the intonation problem. I think I did move the bridge around a little and helped it a little, but did seem to have a problem further up the neck. Good to hear you got it fixed. It was a fun mando while I had it, and it served my purposes. Already having a Flatiron, I really did not need to keep the Redline, so I'm glad someone else is getting to enjoy it.