PDA

View Full Version : Need some help on Beveling

imando
May-05-2011, 3:55pm
I was suggested by a couple users to bevel my mandolin picks.. But I looked all around on the internet and I couldn't find anything..:( Could anyone help?? Im not really too sure what beveling is, so anything would really help.

Thanks,
imando

Bill Snyder
May-05-2011, 6:28pm
Take a look at Paul Hostetter's article on FLATPICKS. (http://www.lutherie.net/picks.html)

imando
May-05-2011, 6:50pm
I looked at the page and I can't find anything :confused:

Kevin Knippa
May-05-2011, 6:53pm
You didn't look far enough. There is a link at the bottom of the first page to this page http://www.lutherie.net/picks2.html

imando
May-05-2011, 8:15pm
Thanks I found it! :)

TheMandoShop
May-06-2011, 7:34am
I was suggested by a couple users to bevel my mandolin picks.. But I looked all around on the internet and I couldn't find anything..:( Could anyone help?? I'm not really too sure what beveling is, so anything would really help.

Thanks,
imando

http://www.themandoshop.com/images/Wegen-Mandolin-White.gif

Here's a picture from my website of a Wegen Mandolin pick with custom grip holes added. Wegen picks are made of Kevlar. This one has a right handed speed bevel. Look at the right side bottom of the pick and you can see the beveled edge. There is also a beveled edge on the left side bottom of the pick but that bevel is on the side facing down. This way the beveled edge of the pick hits the strings on the way down and the way up. A left handed beveled edge would be on the opposite edge, of course, so a left handed player would also strike the strings with the beveled edge on the up and down strokes.

I just now wondered about buying myself a left handed beveled pick because when I do tremolo I tilt my right hand beveled pick to play on the non beveled edge and I'm now curious what it would be like to play the tremolo with the bevel. I'm going to treat myself to a left hand beveled Wegen.

Another thing about the Wegen picks. My favorite is the 1.4 mm Triangle but many prefer the standard Mandolin shape pick pictured here. I suggest you get one of each and decide which one works best for you.

imando
May-06-2011, 11:11am
Thank you!

Paul Busman
May-07-2011, 5:30am
If you want to play around with beveling, buy some cheap picks of the size and shape you like and experiment with those before you commit to beveling a more expensive pick. You can play around with reshaping the pick too eg, rounding off the point of a pointy pick just a bit.

Ivan Kelsall
May-08-2011, 12:35am
Quote - "Wegen picks are made of Kevlar ". Kyle,please accept my assurance that whatever Wegen picks are made from,it's not Kevlar. Kevlar is an Aramid 'fibre' available in thread form or as a woven cloth.The only way that it can be turned into a 'sheet' material is by being impregnated with resin,a material as useful for a pick as a Twinky.
The material used is (apparently) capable of high temp.usage in engineering,& it seems to me to be a similar material to "TIVARŪ H.O.T" which is available in sheet form. Lots of info. on the 'net,
Ivan 71918