PDA

View Full Version : Tull fans - interesting mandolin for sale

jeff_75
Feb-16-2004, 8:16pm
Just noticed while looking at the Jethro Tull website that Dave Pegg is selling a "1920s Gibson A-style" mandolin. Might prove an interesting piece of nostalgia for Tull/Fairport fans. #He's auctioning off some other insturments as well. Details:

Pegg auction (http://www.jethrotull.com/news/davepeggsale.cfm)

AlanN
Feb-16-2004, 8:58pm
Very interesting to browse the band roster over the years. But, I couldn't find that great guitarist who played on the early records and was on classics like "Locomotive Breath", that guy just cooked.

Brookside
Feb-16-2004, 9:18pm
It's a bit surprising to see a long time member of the band spilling his sorry guts all over the website. His presentation of the sale leaves much to be desired. I can't even really make out when and where the sale or auction will occur. I want that mandolin bad enough to pay too much for it. Just last October I saw Ian Anderson when he came through Kansas City on a solo tour. That was the night I first concieved the notion of building mandolins. My first one is almost complete. I guess I'll try to e-mail him for more details. Hope he hasn't sold his computer yet....

MartinD_GibsonA
Feb-16-2004, 11:18pm
Alan,

The guitarist you're talking about is Martin Barre, who's been with the band since AT LEAST as far back as the "Benefit" album. #Other than Ian, he's the longest-time remaining member of the band.

Don Smith

Martin Jonas
Feb-18-2004, 7:09am
It's a bit surprising to see a long time member of the band spilling his sorry guts all over the website. #His presentation of the sale leaves much to be desired. #I can't even really make out when and where the sale or auction will occur. #I want that mandolin bad enough to pay too much for it. #Just last October I saw Ian Anderson when he came through Kansas City on a solo tour. #That was the night I first concieved the notion of building mandolins. #My first one is almost complete. #I guess I'll try to e-mail him for more details. #Hope he hasn't sold his computer yet....
A bit of context here. Dave Pegg is primarily the bass player and de-facto leader/manager of Fairport Convention; the Tull connection is now in his past and even at the time was more of a money-earning day job rather than his primary musical outlet. Fairport has its own close-knit fan community and Pegg's own Woodworm Records communicate with that community directly. He has previously announced his divorce on the Fairport web site. As Pegg says on the Tull web site, this is only an advance notice, full detail of the instruments is to come. Knowing what I know about Fairport, I find nothing strange about him saying that he is going to fix a date when potential buyers can drop by at his house to try the instruments; no doubt he will notify those who expressed an interest closer to the date.

Martin
(also interested in the Gibson A, although as I wouldn't want to pay much of a premium for getting Peggy's mandolin over the normal market price, I suspect I won't get it)

AlanN
Feb-18-2004, 7:12am
Thanks, Don.

Brookside
Feb-18-2004, 12:23pm
I've seen Tull several times in the last 15 years. Dave was their bass player from 79 to 95 I believe. As you say, Martin, any member of Jethro Tull is really just an employee of Ian Anderson. Although I always did respect and admire Dave Pegg, among a few other of the long-time members. I shouldn't have been so quick to criticize his approach to the sale of his instruments.

I did e-mail him and he did respond. He sounds like a really nice guy. It is a 1914 A1. He says "the serial number is 87418 I think." He says they go for 1200-1300 pounds in England which he acknowledged to be considerably more than what they can be had for in the states. Then you'd have to pay to have it shipped here. He said to let him know if I'm interested but I too think that it's to much of a premium to pay for his mando. I'm still slightly thinking about it just because I'm an impulse buying fool.

mrmando
Feb-19-2004, 4:54pm
'Tain't a '14 if the serial number is 87418.

He also has a Mike Vanden mandolin and mandola on the list...

Brookside
Feb-19-2004, 7:14pm
I looked at the serial numbers of the 1914's in the archive. I didn't see anything close. He said "I think" when he gave the serial number. I'm thinking it's not very clear for him to read. For those of you who know how this works, what does serial number 87418 mean? Can you figure a year from it? Is it not a valid serial number at all?

mrmando
Feb-19-2004, 8:11pm
It would be mid to late '20s with a serial number like that. I think 1926. Someone will know for sure.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-19-2004, 8:24pm
I herald from the world of Prog Rock - but the electrified almost metal sort, rather than the folksy Tull sort. Nevertheless, I've had several occasions to tour with and/or just know and meet many members of the British Prog community. They seemingly all know one and other, and the reference Mr. Pegg made to a garden party at his home rang with that friendly community spirit I recall in the people I met over there. (I know of several other UK prog bands that host similair informal, gig/party/fans/friends/family sort of affairs.)

Never met Mr. Pegg, but I enjoyed the openness he's displaying to his fans. I didn't think it was 'sad', other than that any divorce is a sad proceeding.

- Benignus

jeff_75
Feb-19-2004, 9:47pm
So Benignus, I don't suppose you're a Marillion fan as well, being in touch with the British progressive rock scene...? (I should stop this now - I don't think there's ever been a mandolin anywhere near a Marillion album).

Michael H Geimer
Feb-20-2004, 10:30am
(I should stop this now - I don't think there's ever been a mandolin anywhere near a Marillion album). LOL!

Marillion was a HUGE influence on me when I just getting started in bands. One of my friends got a pirate tape of an old pre-label Marillion rehearsal ... it was awful! We all sat around a listed to it, and decided that if they could get from 'Point A' to 'Point B' then so could we!

Eight years of hard pratice later ... our drummer drove to LA to see them, gave Steve Rothery a tape of our first CD - in progress at the time. Well, he ended up producing much of the final recording, and his name recognition was an immense help to us. Really can't say enough nice things about Steve ... and all those guys.

Sometimes it is 'who you know'.

- Benignus

Steph
Feb-21-2004, 8:44am
Surprised only one mention of the Vandens - he is probably the premier UK builder of Gibson spawned A's and F's - as used exclusively by Simon Mayor. '20s Gibson A's are pretty thick on the ground (in the US anyway).

Martin Jonas
Feb-22-2004, 8:31am
Surprised only one mention of the Vandens - he is probably the premier UK builder of Gibson spawned A's and F's - as used exclusively by Simon Mayor. '20s Gibson A's are pretty thick on the ground (in the US anyway).
Well, I'd love to have either of Peggy's Vandens, it's just that I know that if he sells them anywhere near market value, they're way out of my range. That's why I'm keeping my eye out for that Gibson A instead (which are not nearly as common in the UK as in the US).

I adore the tone that Simon Mayor gets out of his Vandens!

Martin

Martin Jonas
Mar-05-2004, 8:01am
The details of Dave Pegg's instruments are now up here (http://www.woodwormrecords.co.uk/~woodsale/). Looks like he wants 1300 Pounds for the 1914 Gibson A1, which puts it out of my range. The Vandens are also out of my range, but much more competetively priced for what they are: 5000 Pounds for a matching pair of Vanden F-stle mandolin and mandola is I think fairly realistic (if somebody has that sort of money to spare).

Martin

Brookside
Mar-05-2004, 2:35pm
Yeah, I hate it that the vintage Gibson is priced so high. By the way, what is the verdict? Is it a 1914? Is the serial number he provided me incorrect?

mrmando
Mar-05-2004, 3:59pm
The Gibson serial number must be incorrect. The instrument has a "pumpkin" finish, which was used during the teens but not the mid-'20s. So it could very well be a 1914 instrument. The correct serial number could be 27418 or 37418.

I got to take a few licks on one of Simon Mayor's Vandens once. Nice axe. Simon's a friendly fellow too.