PDA

View Full Version : Kratzer / Bulldog Mandolins

Bluelon
May-02-2011, 11:54am
Anybody out here playing one of these instruments? How is the sound and look? Pictures or sound clips would be appreciated.

George R. Lane
May-02-2011, 11:59am
Check his website, photos and sound clips.

http://www.bulldog-instruments.com/

birdman98
May-02-2011, 12:32pm
I just bought Bulldog #10...an F-style built in 2005...from the Mandolin Store.

Let me just say that it is an awesome mandolin. The fit and finish is good...but it is the tone that really stands out. And it is very loud as well.

When you consider the price...it was priced WELL below most any other American builders...I'd say these mandos are one of the best bargains on the market. Barry is building some incredible instruments at a very reasonable price.

Mike Scott
May-02-2011, 1:58pm
I was the original owner of Bulldog #30 (a two point). The tone was really good. I found it hard to play and had it re-set up which included some fret and fret board work, a new nut (the courses were too far apart for my "girly" hands, etc. It played much better but at least for me - beginner that I was/am was still hard to play. I sold all my mandolins that I had accumulated at the time and started fresh.

Finish was generally good and other Bulldogs I have seen have had equally good finishes. The guy that bought mine said he talked to Barry who told him all his mandolins have the same inside dimensions. True or not I couldn't say. I think they are a good value and tone/$ is really good.

That's my $.02

Bluelon
May-02-2011, 8:27pm
George, thanks for the link. I've been there and looked at them. Birdman 98 and Mike Scott, are the fretboards radiused? I'm still trying to decide the next mando purchase. I've been looking at a lot of custom luthiers and of course I know of and I'm considering a Weber in my local store. Birdman 98 how long have you had yours?

Thanks everyone and keep up the info, I'm trying to learn as much as I can.
Lonnie

Mike Scott
May-02-2011, 9:50pm
Yep, radius fretboard. You may want to give Barry a call-nice guy; very approachable too.

George R. Lane
May-02-2011, 10:12pm
Are you looking at the Gallatin or the Yellowstone?

dcoventry
May-02-2011, 10:31pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=47792&query=retrieval

This one is a beauty. I've thought long and hard about buying it as I am a sucker for bubble backs, uh, you know what I mean!;)

Plus, good price and great mando.

birdman98
May-03-2011, 10:21am
Blue...

I have only had mine for less than a week. I really like it! The fretboard is radiused. I feel like I got a major steal...Mr. Kratzer may some day be asking much more for his work as it is very impressive!

Bluelon
May-03-2011, 4:33pm
I have been in touch with Barry via e-mail already. We have exchanged several. dcoventry, that is the one that got me looking at his web-site. George, I was looking at the Gallatin. Now I'm looking around to see what all is out there besides Weber and the pac rim companies. I've even been looking at a couple of Gibsons.

dcoventry
May-03-2011, 6:40pm
http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_and_display_db_button=on&db_id=47556&query=retrieval

If not the bubble back from Barry in the Classifieds, this one above is real nice, too.

Pete Braccio
May-03-2011, 6:54pm
I've had Bulldog #1 for 5 years now. I love the sound and it is a real easy player. I've traded, bought, and sold about six or seven mandolins since I got it. The Bulldog is the only one that I've never tried to sell or trade away.

Pete

dcoventry
May-03-2011, 7:05pm
PETE!!! Don't let your Rigel hear you!!!! Little instruments have big ears.:))

Bluelon
May-03-2011, 9:27pm
dcoventry, that Rigel is a little more than I want to spend but I LOVE THAT PEGHEAD! I'm a sucker for the non-florentine pegheads.

Pete what is it about the Bulldog that has you hooked? I'm looking at one of Barry's ECONO mandolins. We have been discussing standard features and options/upgrades.

Pete Braccio
May-04-2011, 12:03am
Well, the Rigels are safe for now too. I did get the Bulldog in a swap for an Rigel S-100 though.

Pete

Pete Braccio
May-04-2011, 12:15am
And, just to prove they can all get along, here's the current mando family.

Bulldog #1, Rigel CT-110, Trillium Octave, Rigel Q-95, and Epiphone Mandobird

Marcus CA
May-05-2011, 11:46pm
What would you say the tone is closest to: Collings, Gibson, or Weber?

Pete Braccio
May-08-2011, 3:58pm
Hmm. I don't know if this would be a good comparison (since the sample size is one and since is the Barry's #1), but I think it actually sounds more like an oval hole. I love the sustain on it. I played one Gibson Fern that had that same kinda tone. (I still kick myself for not buying that mandolin.)

I'll see if I can record a sound file and post that.

Pete

Pete Braccio
May-08-2011, 4:26pm
Here's a cruddy recording through my computers built in mic.

Pete

Knucklehead
May-09-2011, 7:01am
I have a Bulldog F-4x, had it for a little over a year and it's an outstanding mandolin. I can't get over the quality of the workmanship and the price.

http://images.lilypix.com/albums/userpics/10012/normal_june42010_015.JPG

shawnbrock
Aug-28-2012, 1:05pm
I talked with Barry earlier today and he still has a 2 point and a F in satin and an F in gloss. For the price, (about $2600), you will never do any better. One of my top 5 all time favorite mandolins is one that he built. I guess I just don't understand people who will spend as much or more on a factory made instrument, when you could have a true luthier built instrument. This is a great deal on these mandos, and if I could I would buy all 3... I'm lusting after that satin...

Pete Braccio
Aug-29-2012, 12:23am
Yeah, I'm with you on this. I keep on throwing Barry's name out there whenever these "What would you buy?" discussions come around. His #1 is not leaving my side any time soon.

Pete

P.S. Here is clip of the Bulldog being played by someone much better than I.