PDA

View Full Version : Arm Rest and Tone

yankees1
Apr-29-2011, 9:53am
Will the addition of an arm rest result in a difference in tone or volume ?

Brent Hutto
Apr-29-2011, 10:00am
For me, only because it frees my right hand up to play properly without a kink in my wrist or tension in my forearm from trying to keep my arm and the mandolin situated while I pick. I can't say I've heard any difference in the sound of the instrument per se on any of the four or five mandolins I've heard and played both ways.

But sounding better because I'm playing better is still sounding better, you know?

P.S. I must add that when I play without an armrest, I still keep my hand up somewhere near the same position. So the armrest doesn't really do a whole lot to remove my forearm from the soundboard. I can't play at all with my forearm low enough to make any difference.

f5loar
Apr-29-2011, 10:13am
this theory of better tone on the arm rest is in the same argument as does it sound better with no tailpiece cover, no pickguard, no truss rod cover, heavier tuners, lighter tuners, etc.
Very subjective opinions on these quirks. It's my belief is your mandolin has either got it or it don't once it's properly set up.

8ch(pl)
Apr-29-2011, 12:09pm
The biggest reason for an armrest for me is the matte finish on the Mid Missouri. I had to redo the top because it became grubby and i could not remove the gunk. When I bought the second one, i purchased an arm rest right away.

mandobassman
Apr-29-2011, 5:07pm
I think it depends on your arm position. If your arm rests on the top plate when you play, then I believe a arm rest will help. If something is resting on the top it can inpede at least some vibration. I had thought about getting one and then I analyzed my playing style and realized that my arm actually rested on the tailpiece when I play leads because I hold the mandolin up pretty high, therefore I decided not to get one. The thinking, for me, is the same as the use of a Tone Gard. Anything that allows the top and back plates to vibrate freely will improve sound. I agree that the better the mandolin the more noticable the difference will be.

yankees1
Apr-30-2011, 12:56pm
Which armrest ( McClung, Siren, King Brown, etc) would have the lowest profile which is what I want ?

Paul Busman
Apr-30-2011, 2:33pm
For me, the biggest asset has been not resting my arm on the sharp edge between the top and side of the mandolin. I haven't really noted a tonal difference. My arm rest is a beautiful stained Tiger Maple, and I love the look of the grain.

bratsche
Apr-30-2011, 3:03pm
I think it depends on your arm position. If your arm rests on the top plate when you play, then I believe a arm rest will help. If something is resting on the top it can inpede at least some vibration. I had thought about getting one and then I analyzed my playing style and realized that my arm actually rested on the tailpiece when I play leads because I hold the mandolin up pretty high, therefore I decided not to get one. The thinking, for me, is the same as the use of a Tone Gard. Anything that allows the top and back plates to vibrate freely will improve sound. I agree that the better the mandolin the more noticable the difference will be.

I hold my instruments with my arm over the tailpiece as well, and my sweaty arm was corroding them and starting to mar the instrument finish about 1/2" above it as well. Funny, as my sweaty fingers never, ever corrode my flatwound strings, but I don't want to digress. I decided to make my own over-the-tailpiece armrests for them. So my motive was mainly protective, but an added benefit which I found does affect the tone in a positive way is that my wrist doesn't lie as heavily over the bridge as it did, due to the added height the armrests give. I was a skeptic before, who thought armrests were foolishness. Now I wouldn't want to go back. It's much better now all around, and more comfortable to play. My sound is more open with the armrest, and when I feel my arm getting sweaty, I have the peace of mind knowing I can just wipe off the ebony rest and nothing has been hurt.

bratsche

michaelpthompson
May-01-2011, 10:57pm
this theory of better tone on the arm rest is in the same argument as does it sound better with no tailpiece cover, no pickguard, no truss rod cover, heavier tuners, lighter tuners, etc.
Very subjective opinions on these quirks. It's my belief is your mandolin has either got it or it don't once it's properly set up.

You could be right. Just today, I've read threads on whether Tone-Gards, picks, and action height improve tone or volume, and the opinions are all over the map. Guess the only really way to find out is to try it and see what you personally think about it.

tburcham
May-02-2011, 7:22am
From an engineering perspective, anything that touches a vibrating surface has the potential to dampen the top vibration. Depending on the instrument, the dampening caused by one's arm may have minimal impact on the overall frequency response of the top. I use one on my Collings MT2v for comfort, but I think it also helps reduce dampening caused by my arm while playing.