PDA

View Full Version : F2 Sunburst/Finish question

Annette Siegel
Apr-26-2011, 2:53pm
Hello,

I am new to the forum, though have used the cafe to find myself an old Gibson F2 for my wonderful husband (luthier) to restore. This is his first mandy restoration so I thought I would ask the mandolin forum for some help with the sunburst staining and finish. Regretfully, this mandy had already been refin. when we bought it. The aim is to get it back in playing condition and as close to original as possible. I spoke with Roger Siminoff (local for me) and he pointed me in a good direction, just thought if anyone had some good information to share, I'm in the sponge phase of learning about this mandy. I do know from the Mandolin Archive that it's a 1918 model.

Advance thanks!

Big Joe
Apr-27-2011, 6:40am
Your question is so vague that it is hard to give a reasonable response. There are several on the forum who will be willing to offer good information, but a bit more specific question may be easier to get a response. Roger is certainly more than capable of guiding you in the right direction. Roger is a fine man, great luthier, and good friend. You can pm any questions and I will do what I can to help.

Annette Siegel
Apr-27-2011, 6:52am
Thanks for the reply, I will try and be more specific. I am looking for a detailed "how to" do a sunburst stain and finish, including colors for the F2. What colors to order..where to order them...how to mix...any tips...suggestions for replicating the original sunburst stain and finish for this mandolin. I have searched threads haven't gotten a complete picture, which if the reason for the post...trying to get a complete picture. I'm not a luthier...just trying to do the research for hubby...as he's doing the work on my mandolin. Again, thanks!

danb
Apr-27-2011, 6:53am
Not too long ago we had a long thread :
The Mandolincafe Restoration Challenge (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?54366-Mandolincafe-Restoration-Challenge&highlight=restoration+challenge).

There is some very good information to see there, including a great video clip showing how the finish was applied

Annette Siegel
Apr-27-2011, 12:06pm
Thanks for posting the link to that thread....what a great read!! Though from the pics of the other F2's of that era...I believe that sunburst was different than the "A" that was worked on for the restoration project. Still great info and wonderful story about the "A" being placed in the hands of so many capable luthiers....

sunburst
Apr-27-2011, 12:39pm
That was me doing the 'burst in the restoration thread. The "secret" to getting a look similar to the old Gibsons is to rub the dyes by hand, or at least mostly by hand, and having at least one good example of an old Gibson for color matching is highly recommended. Another thing that is important to getting acceptably authentic looking results, and is not so easily obtained, is experience. If your husband (luthier) has not done many rubbed 'bursts, it might be best to farm out the staining to someone more experienced, but I can't say that for sure, he might be able to pick it up so fast staining scrap wood that he can do a good job on the mandolin. Only he can judge.

Unless the F2 is one of the rare non-Loar Gibson mandolins with a "tobacco" 'burst, the sunburst on the F2 is basically the same as the A4 burst replicated in the thread, though there was variation because they were hand done. The variation among the originals is actually a help in restoration work because it means anywhere close is good.

As for dyes and colors, I did that one with Transtint alcohol soluble dyes. The background (ground) color is amber, straight from the bottle, not mixed with any other color, the intermediate color was red (I think they call it cherry red) straight, and the dark color was a mixture of dark brown, black, red, and a little blue. Mixing the color just has to be done to match, there's no formula.

Annette Siegel
Apr-27-2011, 1:21pm
Thank you, thank you and thanks for that information John...I hear you about the experience for the staining...and my husband has the extra pressure of it being his wife's mandolin! He's pretty darn resourceful.. so I think he will be using quite a bit of scrap wood on this project. : ) I have a nice pic of an F2 That Roger sent me and it looks more like a cherry red stain. As far as the stain that was on this mandy...I've never seen another like it, which led me to believe that it wasn't correct (or original) and also that it was a lacquer finish. Again thank for your help with the staining info.

Spruce
Apr-27-2011, 9:09pm
"Mandy".....
I like it.

Welcome to the forum Nettles....

carleshicks
Apr-28-2011, 6:45am
I second what Sunburst said. I refinished a the bass side of a 1922 F-4 sound board and the transtint colors were a perfect match. I mixed them with a little shellac instead of straight alcohol before i started blending the sunburst

Annette Siegel
Apr-28-2011, 11:23am
Thanks for the welcome....I'm usually a guitar player, but was bit by the Mandy bug at the first of the year...it's definetly hopeless at this point to try and resist. :)