PDA

View Full Version : Weird old Gibson at Guitar Center

mrmando
Apr-26-2011, 9:28am
Looks like a refinished A3 (http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Vintage-VINT-1923-GIBSON-MOD-A-MANDOLIN-020809-105334684-i1864230.gc). TPC is engraved "The Gibson" but it appears to have been done by hand.

f5loar
Apr-26-2011, 11:28am
The TP not right for sure but I would question a 1923 anything that still has the solid non-adjustable bridge. For sure a refinish.
I suspect it's a lot older then '23.

mrmando
Apr-26-2011, 12:18pm
Certainly. No truss rod either ... definitely a teens instrument. The pickguard bracket looks a little suspicious but we'd need a better photo.

A pre-1914 A4 would look somewhat like this, but the soundhole ring is wrong. And an A4 would have a fleur-de-lis in the headstock, rather than the A3 vine.

f5loar
Apr-26-2011, 2:45pm
From what I have seen in dealing with Guitar Center is they need to stick to electrics and not anything vintage acoustic. They mis date all the time especially mixing up those 60's Gibsons with the 70's Gibson. They just don't get that double use of the same serial nos. scheme. But they aren't the only ones. Gibson Company has the same problem and they made them! Go figure!

barney 59
Apr-26-2011, 4:04pm
There is always the possibility that it's the neck of one thing and the body of another. Your not going to learn a whole lot from that photo.

Big Joe
Apr-27-2011, 6:36am
Highly unlikely to be mismatched neck and body from that era. It is likely an A3 from late teens to about 21 and has been refinished with a non original type finish and replacement pickguard. It still looks very cool and the price does not seem terrible. They will often negotiate things they don't know what to do with so you may get a good buy on it. I love A3's, and usually the white face is my favorite but this one is pretty cool as well.

f5loar
Apr-27-2011, 10:50am
there is enough wrong with what I see and enough wrong with what they say it to be that it should fall in around half the market value of a nice teens A2/A3 which would put it around $800. I doubt they would go that low. I can't figure out why they are saying it is a 1923 when that's the one thing it's not. And no mention of a refinish either. These people should not be selling vintage instruments.

Bernie Daniel
Apr-27-2011, 8:44pm
there is enough wrong with what I see and enough wrong with what they say it to be that it should fall in around half the market value of a nice teens A2/A3 which would put it around $800. I doubt they would go that low. I can't figure out why they are saying it is a 1923 when that's the one thing it's not. And no mention of a refinish either. These people should not be selling vintage instruments.

Perhaps its a typo? Should be 1913? I am sure that the staff knowledge of vintage instruments varies from store to store?

I did not look which store had this A-3 but the GC store here in Cincinnati has two guys who are respectable in their knowledge of vintage guitars, banjos, and mandolins.

Someone at the store is pretty optimistic on vintage instrument pricing though. They have a near beat-to-death (both scrolls on headstock missing) nineteens F-2 black-face that they want $4000 for. Likewise, there is a 1950 F-12 in fair shape that they are asking $4400 for. Both have been there at least 5 years! :)

But I am glad they do have that vintage room -- a decent number of Gibson/Flatiron/Kentucky and Weber mandolins -- including a Carlson signed F-5L have moved through the store over the last few years and I enjoy the chance to look them over and play them. They ask less for that 80's F-5L then the F-12! LOL.